Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Welcome back LJ Figueroa

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 8 hours ago #349375

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2422

Dan V wrote:

usguard wrote: Maybe McGriff will be really good didn’t Georgetown have a freshman pg.?

No one on here will know until the games start. Forget the hs rankings this is college that stuff is overrated. Not saying the kid will be good or bad but Keita and Yakwe were 4 stars and didnt do much. 3 star players succeed all the time in college, not talking nba here, especially now with all the transfers. You think Sestina was thought of as a Kentucky level kid coming out of HS? You just never know.

Still say we need a seasoned PG to lead the team next year, but you're right Dan V. 'You never know" and kids outperform under perform their rankings all the time.
McClung was a 3* and ranked #245 by 247sports last year and had a great season: killed us for sure. Lol.
Akinjo also played well for the Hoyas, but he was a 4*.
McGriff is 'small-sized', a 3* and ranked 334 this year.
I think he might be a nice 'piece' for us, but he's been described as 'tough as s**t' and ya neva know.
We shall see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, Dan V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 7 hours ago #349388

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 1153
Bottom line is that we need more, and we need some real talent. I’m not doubting McGriff and Sears, but we already have Earlington, Roberts and even Caraher who I don’t think we can count on as huge contributors, and even Williams only got limited time. That’s half the team. Need the next guy or two to be legitimate Big East talents ala Thornton or similar. I’m all good with having the numbers and we are certainly behind the 8-ball with a new staff this late in the game, but need another guy or two with legit talent. I’m not expecting an amazing season next year regardless, but if we can grab a real contributor at PG and C, we might be able to hurt teams with pressure and depth alone, coupled with some coaching. 2020 class is where the real recruiting should start and it seems we are working hard and getting involved with lots of good prospects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, Andrew, Chicago Days

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 6 hours ago #349391

• Chicago Days

MCNPA wrote: Bottom line is that we need more, and we need some real talent. I’m not doubting McGriff and Sears, but we already have Earlington, Roberts and even Caraher who I don’t think we can count on as huge contributors, and even Williams only got limited time. That’s half the team. Need the next guy or two to be legitimate Big East talents ala Thornton or similar. I’m all good with having the numbers and we are certainly behind the 8-ball with a new staff this late in the game, but need another guy or two with legit talent. I’m not expecting an amazing season next year regardless, but if we can grab a real contributor at PG and C, we might be able to hurt teams with pressure and depth alone, coupled with some coaching. 2020 class is where the real recruiting should start and it seems we are working hard and getting involved with lots of good prospects.

Well said, MCNPA.
Most likely, we'll have 2 - 3 'ships available for 2020, maybe 1 - 2 more, with guys entering the infamous 'transfer portal'.
Next year's 2020 recruiting class will be critical in shaping the future.
Totally agree we need a solid BE-level PG + 1 more solid C/PF type guy for the 2019-20 season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 6 hours ago #349393

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1118
If we can't find a BE caliber PG and/or "big" for next season, I would hold the scholarships and save them for the Class of 2020. Makes more sense IMO than bringing in a high school kid that doesn't project to be able to contribute in the short term.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuck in conn, Enright

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 6 hours ago #349395

• Redzone
  • Thank you received: 3
Great news.

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 6 hours ago #349396

• Chicago Days

MarkRedman wrote: If we can't find a BE caliber PG and/or "big" for next season, I would hold the scholarships and save them for the Class of 2020. Makes more sense IMO than bringing in a high school kid that doesn't project to be able to contribute in the short term.

I'd go for the 'next' best available PG/Combo Guard for 2019-20. Wouldn't want to go into the season with just 1 PG.
Otherwise, I agree.
Hold any remaining 'ships for 2020, if the 'right' players aren't available.

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 6 hours ago #349399

• Chicago Days

JohnnyFan wrote: Four quoted responses seems like a good limit.

Yeah, but '40' hits the record books.
Lol.

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 5 hours ago #349407

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 217
Is Mikey Dixon still available?

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 5 hours ago #349409

• billthetruth
  • Thank you received: 208

Boo Harvey wrote: Is Mikey Dixon still available?

Hopefully not

LJ Figueroa Status 5 days 5 hours ago #349411

• Dan V
  • Thank you received: 299

Boo Harvey wrote: Is Mikey Dixon still available?

I wish he would of stuck it out.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter