Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Welcome back LJ Figueroa

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348227

• redken
  • Thank you received: 865

MCNPA wrote:

panther2 wrote: Not exactly sure sure if it means he is staying at St Johns, but on his Instagram post, LJ stated he is going for Back to Back MVP's. He can't accomplish this if he is sitting out at another school.

Yeah I took that the same way. I think some here didn’t read it, but it would suggest he’s coming back.

Or it could mean his goal is to be the MVP at wherever his next stop is. If he plans on staying here -- and I'm praying he does -- he could simply come out and say it instead of making vague statements that are subject to interpretation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348228

• Frank61
  • Thank you received: 348
General, that was PRICELESS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Last edit: by Frank61.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348229

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 380
You have to think that Figueroa is trying to figure out what this team is going to look like next season. Let’s be honest next year is setting up as another long season. I mean is Heron coming back? Who is playing PG? When will Steere be eligible? Tons of questions. Figueroa is probably being told he can be a pro, sooner rather than later. His question probably is can I show enough in what could be a very tough short term situation or do I sit out a year but end up in a stronger place to showcase my talent.

All that being said, from a fan standpoint I love what MA is doing. He is taking his time implementing his vision with his guys to match his style. I know some don’t want to hear it but next season might be interesting but I have a hard time believing we will be winning a whole lot of games. However, MA is laying his foundation. In other words, expectations are low next year but on the upswing after that.

Last edit: by sjc88.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348233

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1118

sjc88 wrote: You have to think that Figueroa is trying to figure out what this team is going to look like next season. Let’s be honest next year is setting up as another long season. I mean is Heron coming back? Who is playing PG? When will Steere be eligible? Tons of questions. Figueroa is probably being told he can be a pro, sooner rather than later. His question probably is can I show enough in what could be a very tough short term situation or do I sit out a year but end up in a stronger place to showcase my talent.

All that being said, from a fan standpoint I love what MA is doing. He is taking his time implementing his vision with his guys to match his style. I know some don’t want to hear it but next season might be interesting but I have a hard time believing we will be winning a whole lot of games. However, MA is laying his foundation. In other words, expectations are low next year but on the upswing after that.

If LJ and Heron return and if CMA finds a decent PG, we could be pretty good next year
We will see first hand that coaching really matters at this level
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, sjc88

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348234

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 380

MarkRedman wrote:

sjc88 wrote: You have to think that Figueroa is trying to figure out what this team is going to look like next season. Let’s be honest next year is setting up as another long season. I mean is Heron coming back? Who is playing PG? When will Steere be eligible? Tons of questions. Figueroa is probably being told he can be a pro, sooner rather than later. His question probably is can I show enough in what could be a very tough short term situation or do I sit out a year but end up in a stronger place to showcase my talent.

If LJ and Heron return and if CMA finds a decent PG, we could be pretty good next year
We will see first hand that coaching really matters at this level

I agree MarkRedman. Still a whole lot of ifs. I am just trying to think from LJs perspective. It’s a business decision as I think if he realizes his potential and can show it he has a real chance to play and make real money at the NBA level.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348235

• SJU1512
  • Thank you received: 494
Next year challenging no matter what. Steeper schedule and obviously can't underestimate the impact Ponds had. Conservatively Cal, VCU, GTech, @GTown, @Creighton, @Marq, and Seton Hall could all easily go the other way without him.

We are probably a .500 team or slightly worse without Ponds this year, against a lighter schedule than next. Not surprisingly 6 of those mentioned were neutral or on road which is where player like Ponds can really swing games. Anticipate road in particular could be tough sledding next season.

Even with LJ would be challenging to expect much more than that next year but without him could be far worse. Big optically, in terms of momentum, and next season being reasonable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, sjc88

Last edit: by SJU1512.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348236

• guinness77
  • Thank you received: 259
I want this guy back as bad as most of the rest of you but why can’t he just take his time and think about what he wants? It’s nuts how some of you just complain, “OMG, why won’t he make a decision??!!??” He’s still basically a kid, the coaching staff who recruited him here is gone and a lot of the guys he played with are also gone, but my gut tells me he’ll come back. In this age of instant gratification, take a second to appreciate the fact he is taking his time, he owes it to no one other than himself and his loved ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OhioFan, redken, firestorm, ctstorm, panther2, Logen, Redman#13, L J S A

Last edit: by guinness77.

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348237

• Knight
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1033
I think Figgy is not thinking of transferring any longer. Rather the choices are SJU or turning Pro.
I don't think he is ready to play Pro ball at this stage, but he can progress in his development to improve his chances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348244

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 178

Sherman, Sheridan & Grant wrote: NCJ, Monte, Panther2, MCNPA, others
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he(she) is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
Abraham H. Maslow 1908-1970

Similarly,
LJ must play college basketball so as to choose to be at peace with himself - and he will choose - and SJU seems to be a viable choice.
We shall see.
:).

General, I am a big fan of yours but not so much Maslow. Supposedly, his hierarchy of needs used Columbia graduate students as test subjects, not exactly typical of the population at large. For people who have experienced oppression I find Fanon's "Wretched of the Earth" far more useful, minus the revolutionary overlay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

LJ Figueroa Status 1 week 6 days ago #348245

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 544

redken wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

panther2 wrote: Not exactly sure sure if it means he is staying at St Johns, but on his Instagram post, LJ stated he is going for Back to Back MVP's. He can't accomplish this if he is sitting out at another school.

Yeah I took that the same way. I think some here didn’t read it, but it would suggest he’s coming back.

Or it could mean his goal is to be the MVP at wherever his next stop is. If he plans on staying here -- and I'm praying he does -- he could simply come out and say it instead of making vague statements that are subject to interpretation.

These kids love making us guess, hoping that they come back. That's the only reason that I don't give two craps if they come back or not.
Sorry, but i don't play that.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter