Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Welcome back LJ Figueroa

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345990

• SeattleJohnny
  • Thank you received: 120

adavis1 wrote: I understand college basketball is a giant cesspool and being a fan means holding your nose to the grossness. But what Slater is implicating is that Hsu and LJ's handlers are going to have him go sit a year in Bowling Green, KY for no reason, in obvious detriment to his basketball career, just to gain leverage so Mike Anderson hires Hsu and the handler gets something under the table. That is child abuse. If that is what is really going on we should run from these people as fast as possible. I am honestly shocked by the brazenness of it all.

A visit doesn't mean a commitment. This could all just be smoke and Hsu is the one behind it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345991

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 13244

Knight wrote: I thought it was reported that Figgy's name was no longer in the transfer portal.

Never rely on those sites Chi Fan referenced for complete accuracy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345992

• SeattleJohnny
  • Thank you received: 120

Adam wrote: What exactly is Hsu's relationship with LJ?

Recruited him to committ to NMSU when LJ was in High School. Over schools like Miami and Louisville. They got him to enroll in Spring Semester to try to get cleared earlier. Then Hsu and head coach bolted to UNM before LJ played. He went to JUCO and ended up at SJU last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam, Chicago Days

Last edit: by SeattleJohnny.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345993

• adavis1
  • Thank you received: 37
A visit doesn't mean a commitment. This could all just be smoke and Hsu is the one behind it.[/quote]

That is definitely a possibility. But Mark Hsu is a grown man who makes a few hundred k a year. LJ Figueroa is a 21 year old who plays for free. Just the idea of using him in this situation for leverage is gross. If you don't hire me I am going to hurt this young man's career.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345994

• Paultzman
  • Away
Well, the initial read was Figueroa would be checking out other schools. Clearly he is going through with it, so of course we should be concerned. The Andre Slater tweets were odd and seemed to take a shot at Anderson, while inferring Hsu has some kind of leverage. It is very strange and in fairness to Hsu, maybe we should not conclude anything yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, Frank61, Johnniesfan24, NCJohnnie, SeattleJohnny

Last edit: by Paultzman.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345995

• MCNPA
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1320
I don’t think our coach is willing to play games like that. That’s the case, goodbye. Again though, SJU fans jumped to a ton of conclusions before during the coaching search. Let it shake out. Going on visits and doing due diligence isn’t a big deal. Let him see what’s out there. There’s no doubt that it’s not in his best interest to sit a year at his age without playing basketball. If LJ decides to leave it hurts him more than us honestly. Our prospects this season were already just fair and possibly decent if we land a few more players.

Maybe he has concerns about our roster, no PG, unfamiliar coach etc.. It’s on him. Frankly LJ’s style though, fits Anderson’s system well and vice versa. Anderson also develops kids. I can’t see Figueroa’s prospects getting better by leaving. Hopefully the kid is smart. I also hope we hire a few good recruiters so we are never in a Matty A situation again and reliant on only one guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345996

• OhioFan
  • Thank you received: 273

Knight wrote: I thought it was reported that Figgy's name was no longer in the transfer portal.

He was on there the last time Iooked.
Ubi Caritas, Where charity and love are, God is there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345997

• Frank61
  • Thank you received: 348
Unless I read it wrong, the new transfer rule makes it unnecessary to sit out a year ,. Maybe I read it wrong.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #345998

• Paultzman
  • Away

Frank61 wrote: Unless I read it wrong, the new transfer rule makes it unnecessary to sit out a year ,. Maybe I read it wrong.

New rule applies to freshmen enrolled over summer and coaching change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

Last edit: by Paultzman.

LJ Figueroa Status 2 months 4 weeks ago #346000

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2551

He is not on 247sports's 2019 transfer portal list, but i noticed him on verbal commits list earlier and shortly after that the news broke.
Dunno...

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter