Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where is the mystery candidate?

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340872

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 297
How in the world do we have a "mystery candidate" thread without Jeff Van Gundy's name in it?

I know I've been off Redmen.com for awhile, but you guys are really failing me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340906

• RedStormRising2
  • Thank you received: 217
Couple things:
A) Odom seems like a good candidate. I reject the fact that we should be worried that he will jump ship. If he does, well, that means he's won here. That's something we haven't had in a while.

B) Our friend Zach tweeted that the admin did not block the Rice hire FWIW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, JohnnyFan

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340913

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 2538

RedStormRising2 wrote: Couple things:
A) Odom seems like a good candidate. I reject the fact that we should be worried that he will jump ship. If he does, well, that means he's won here. That's something we haven't had in a while.

B) Our friend Zach tweeted that the admin did not block the Rice hire FWIW.

He might leave at any moment.
Manning has had 1 winning season in 5 years at Wake. What if they fire him next year like someone pointed out. Did he build a winner then if he's gone in 1-2 years.

People were concerned about Bobby jumping whereas this jump is a lot more realistic.

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340924

• RedStormRising2
  • Thank you received: 217
Then we'd finally get a buy out coming towards us and we could buy those seat backs :D

Seriously, though, buy out after year 1 of the contract could be an off putting number, but as you said WF does have big pockets. If Odom goes 8-24 then 14-19 does WF want him? Do we want him?

If he is a miracle worker and goes 16-17 then 20-13 in his first two season, heck let's try to ride those coattails even if he does make the jump.

I guess no matter how you look at it, every candidate is going to have a wart or two .

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340927

• Moose

RedStormRising2 wrote: Then we'd finally get a buy out coming towards us and we could buy those seat backs :D

Seriously, though, buy out after year 1 of the contract could be an off putting number, but as you said WF does have big pockets. If Odom goes 8-24 then 14-19 does WF want him? Do we want him?

If he is a miracle worker and goes 16-17 then 20-13 in his first two season, heck let's try to ride those coattails even if he does make the jump.

I guess no matter how you look at it, every candidate is going to have a wart or two .

Whoever takes this job next year starts in Year 2. Next year its survive and don't have further implosions
The following user(s) said Thank You: lawmanfan, Paultzman, MCNPA, Frank61, JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340932

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 1198

Amaseinyourface wrote: Would Billy Donavan survive a first round exit? Would Cragg survive a marillac ambush if he made him wait a week? I’m guessing no on both of those but I doubt there’s any chance he’d be interested in the first place.

There is nothing Cragg can do to convince me he is competent in hiring coaches or that he didn’t completely blow this process.

One of two things happened: the buffoon was surprised by the 2 mill buyout Cluess had and decided that’s too much (6 mill in buyouts) for a hire of Cluess’ caliber or (much more likely) Cragg is playing an adorable game of hardball with Cluess. Sh*t runs downhill and Cragg wants to take the beating Hurley handed him and put it in a 60 year old MAAC coach who has never been been represented before. Cragg is a big bad executive after all.

His role at Duke was like lifeguarding at a portable Walmart pool. We trusted the dummy to guard a lake and someone drowned the first day.

I’m sure he’s great around the water cooler.
He probably brought donuts on Fridays and went out to karaoke nights and holiday parties with the athletic department. That can keep almost anyone employed in a college athletic department for 31 years...rising up with attrition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, Andrew

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340953

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 78
I come back to the site for one day - ONE DAY - and it takes under 10 minutes for me to remember why I don't post here anymore. As much as I like and respect some of the posters, the worthwhile discussion gets drowned in a sea of idiots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour, siredmen, redmannorth, Room112, Patrick, Paultzman, Tonyinfairfield , JackofVirginia, jackfro, RedStormRising and 5 other people also said thanks.

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #340954

• Moose

lawmanfan wrote: I come back to the site for one day - ONE DAY - and it takes under 10 minutes for me to remember why I don't post here anymore. As much as I like and respect some of the posters, the worthwhile discussion gets drowned in a sea of idiots.

Love you
The following user(s) said Thank You: OhioFan

Where is the mystery candidate? 3 months 1 week ago #341001

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 78
And you know I love you right back. Respect your dedication to the site and the program.

New Coach 3 months 1 week ago #341172

• William T. Cicio
  • Thank you received: 5
Anyone know why Mark Jackson's name hasan't popped up? He did a good job for the Warriors and handed Steve Kerr a team that was on the rise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Solomon

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter