Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where is the mystery candidate?

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340695

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 186
So Mike, do you ever think the mystery candidate and the mystery recruit from years back ever have dinner together? I'll hang up and listen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340699

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 1198

kranmars wrote: Marillac.

You think it is a coincidence that he is this anti-Cluess?

Marillac is not anti-Cluess. Marillac is anti-Cragg.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340709

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 771

P Simmons wrote: I speak with no firsthand knowledge, but I stand by my prediction that a 30-year veteran of Duke did not come here to hire a guy from Iona.

The idea that this search is limited to Hurley and Cluess is also laughable.

And, George Steinbrenner did not fire Buck Showalter in 1995, with the intention of hiring a three time retread like Joe Torre for the Yankees. He had bigger names like Herzog, Larussa, and Anderson in mind. I'm sure he was glad that he went with Torre in the end. And before you can say, "well it's the Yankees, anybody can win", the roster was very much in flux at that time. Nobody knew what 1996 was going to look like, and as the offseason progressed, it was looking worse and worse.

In honor of his successful heart surgery, I'll paraphrase Mick Jagger: Cragg may not get who he wants, but if he hires Cluess, I think he'll find that he got exactly who he needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RICH K aka Booksnball

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340713

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 1198

ctstorm wrote: A number of posters alluded to a mystery candidate who would thrill us and that Hurley and Cluess were mere feints.

It’s hard to let go of the idea that St. John’s isn’t special for some.

There is no way Hurley was a feint. If we do go a different direction it’s because Cragg is realizing the mess he created and how many people he pissed off like a hungover college kid waking up and piecing together his night after blacking out. “Why is everyone so mad?”
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340720

• redken
  • Thank you received: 839
He's with the mystery recruit.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340734

• P Simmons
  • Thank you received: 183

SJU61982 wrote:

P Simmons wrote: I speak with no firsthand knowledge, but I stand by my prediction that a 30-year veteran of Duke did not come here to hire a guy from Iona.

And, George Steinbrenner did not fire Buck Showalter in 1995, with the intention of hiring a three time retread like Joe Torre for the Yankees. He had bigger names like Herzog, Larussa, and Anderson in mind. I'm sure he was glad that he went with Torre in the end. And before you can say, "well it's the Yankees, anybody can win", the roster was very much in flux at that time. Nobody knew what 1996 was going to look like, and as the offseason progressed, it was looking worse and worse.

In honor of his successful hear surgery, I'll paraphrase Mick Jagger: Cragg may not get who he wants, but if he hires Cluess, I think he'll find that he got exactly who he needed.

Difference is that Steinbrenner owned the team and didn't have to prove himself to anyone.

I just don't see Cragg risking the most important hire of his career on an Iona guy.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340762

• PharmDJohnnie11
  • Thank you received: 159
What about Kevin Boyle?

-He's won 4 out of the last 6 high school championships at Monteverde.

-He has local ties, winning 5 state titles at St. Patrick's in NJ, and played at Seton Hall, and St. Peter's.

-If RJ Barrett goes top 3 this year in the draft (he will) he would have coached 6 top 3 NBA draft selections since 2011 including Kyrie Irving, Joel Embiid, D'Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons.

-He'd definitely bring some recruiting clout with all his high school and AAU ties.

I'd definitely look into him if I were Cragg. Can't hurt.

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340765

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 11157
Femi :)

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340769

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 716
Of the guys who have been mentioned a little or non at all, I’d like Mike Rhodes name to pick up steam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, SJU1512, L J S A

Where is the mystery candidate? 1 week 4 days ago #340773

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 771

P Simmons wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

In honor of his successful hear surgery, I'll paraphrase Mick Jagger: Cragg may not get who he wants, but if he hires Cluess, I think he'll find that he got exactly who he needed.

Difference is that Steinbrenner owned the team and didn't have to prove himself to anyone.

I just don't see Cragg risking the most important hire of his career on an Iona guy.

Then IMO, it will prove to be his (and our) loss.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter