Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ???

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347319

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2847

SJU61982 wrote:

Enright wrote: I'll be rooting for him but IMO Ponds is too short, too slight and too inaccurate a three point shooter to make today's NBA.

But, another year here was not going to change those things (except maybe slightly better three point shooting), so I totally, 100% understood his decision to leave.

The report from the NBA combine last year was that Ponds had to refine his game, up his shooting percentage, lower turnovers, up his assists, and win. Ponds failed to do this miserable over the final 15 games. He'd have one more shot to prove this with a solid senior season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347399

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 1758
SJU85 said: True about him sitting on the bench rooting for the other team only it was Goodwin who replaced him joining a starting five of Mckoy, Gilroy, Russell and Washington (who had taken over for Garrison).[/quote]

George Garrison was a high school teammate of David Russell which I have to believe is the only reason he played for St. John's. He is the only D1, 2, 3, NAIA and JUCO player in history that I could have replaced. :silly: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3

Last edit: by bamafan.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347472

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 15423

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347496

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 927
I'll be honest, and people here can disagree. But Ponds' second half this year was probably the most disappointed I've been in a player since I started rooting. I can't get on guys who give their all and just don't have the talent. Ponds is the opposite. He has all of the talent in the world, but just never seemed interested in committing. Extremely frustrating to watch play out. I believe I mentioned before, but he lack of effort and urgency made it appear like he had already signed a pro contract. Very puzzling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, redmannorth, Monte, AlBovino, SJU85, RedStormRising, capmaker, sjc88, Mean Gene, Chicago Days

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347523

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2847

Room112 wrote: I'll be honest, and people here can disagree. But Ponds' second half this year was probably the most disappointed I've been in a player since I started rooting. I can't get on guys who give their all and just don't have the talent. Ponds is the opposite. He has all of the talent in the world, but just never seemed interested in committing. Extremely frustrating to watch play out. I believe I mentioned before, but he lack of effort and urgency made it appear like he had already signed a pro contract. Very puzzling.

As defenses ganged up on him he appeared to become frustrated and lost composure and interest. The technical fouls were just evidence that he was putting the blame on refs for his poor play. Perhaps if his teammates could make some wide open shots things would have opened up. In the end he was either shooting lower percentage shots over the zone from 25 feet and beyond, or taking it to the hole on 3 guys. His defense seemed to lag in process. At his best, a stellar prospect, at his worst, far from an NBA player. The disparity will cause the pros to take a closer look, but at best will have to improve in the G league and get a few tries at NBA camps to latch on over the next 3 years. He more than likely will opt for better money overseas, where at the right level, will tear it up.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347531

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1596

Beast of the East wrote:

Room112 wrote: I'll be honest, and people here can disagree. But Ponds' second half this year was probably the most disappointed I've been in a player since I started rooting. I can't get on guys who give their all and just don't have the talent. Ponds is the opposite. He has all of the talent in the world, but just never seemed interested in committing. Extremely frustrating to watch play out. I believe I mentioned before, but he lack of effort and urgency made it appear like he had already signed a pro contract. Very puzzling.

As defenses ganged up on him he appeared to become frustrated and lost composure and interest. The technical fouls were just evidence that he was putting the blame on refs for his poor play. Perhaps if his teammates could make some wide open shots things would have opened up. In the end he was either shooting lower percentage shots over the zone from 25 feet and beyond, or taking it to the hole on 3 guys. His defense seemed to lag in process. At his best, a stellar prospect, at his worst, far from an NBA player. The disparity will cause the pros to take a closer look, but at best will have to improve in the G league and get a few tries at NBA camps to latch on over the next 3 years. He more than likely will opt for better money overseas, where at the right level, will tear it up.

Great players don’t make excuses, they adapt, figure it out, they play defense, they don’t sulk and disappear. Ponds gave us great moments for sure, but, stats aside, was not a great player. I sincerely hope he gets it and works hard to maximize the God given talent he obviously has. If not he will still probably make a nice penny overseas. To paraphrase a quote from the late Pete Maravich - “my biggest mistake was getting by on talent alone.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, SJUNC, Paultzman, AlBovino, Beast of the East, Moose, L J S A, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Logen.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347562

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 444
I would cut Ponds a lot of slack here . I may be among the few that thought he was hampered by several nagging injuries , notably in the second half of the Season , that likely weren’t noticed or publicized . I also think he was really trying to be more of a Combo Guard and early on , tried to get his other teammates involved in the offense. His passes were often fumbled or resulted in missed shots , etc . Simon and Clarke were inconsistent scorers , at best . Figgy didn’t get the Ball enough and I also think we saw a less than 100 percent Heron, again beset with nagging injuries . Lastly , Ponds never chucked the Ball to the extent that Howard on Marquette did and I believe Slick’s individual stats suffered as a result and probably cost him BE POY . He’s not deserving of being dumped on to the extent that has surfaced post season . I thought Clark shot the Ball way too much and was a very inconsistent scorer and shooter . Scoring Zero points in the last 2 games didn’t help our cause down the stretch .Yet , many applaud his game and effort while down playing Ponds . I don’t get it . I think Clark played hard all the time but, was a defensive liability with all the fouls . I don’t buy the theory he was worn down by playing out of position . Anyway , Ponds should always be held to the esteem he deserved by his performance over3 years . He was a great one and we will miss his Talent greatly .
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctstorm, stuck in conn

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347568

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1986

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: I would cut Ponds a lot of slack here . ...Anyway , Ponds should always be held to the esteem he deserved by his performance over3 years . He was a great one and we will miss his Talent greatly .

I agree with FOXX here. Ponds got criticized whatever he did. When he was taking over games he was a ball hog. This past season he did what he was told was what he needed to do: pass more and (try) to get his teammates more involved. He did that. He got criticized for not taking more shots! He also made a lot of plays to give his teammates open shots - which they missed. He also played 2 years being double and triple teamed and put up big numbers for three years without a legitimate big man - EVER. He then went into his third year without any kind of legitimate big man which would have made his job as well as that of Heron, Simon and Clark, a lot easier. Had we had real options there on offense (not Owens on the perimeter or Yakwe fumbling great passes inside) this would have made our offense A LOT more efficient and we likely would have been a highly seeded team in the Tourney. For whatever reason that will be lost to history, the staff refused for 4 years to recruit a big man despite pretty much every fan on the planet knowing they needed options there and instead brought in Mikey Dixon. Not Ponds fault.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, gonzalo, SLYFOXX1968, Knight

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347571

• Red Bloods
  • Thank you received: 66

Like I mentioned once before, it was no secret on campus that Ponds spent more time at McDonalds than on the practice floor. That is why he was completely GASSED the last month of the season.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 7 months 1 week ago #347572

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1563

bamafan wrote: SJU85 said: True about him sitting on the bench rooting for the other team only it was Goodwin who replaced him joining a starting five of Mckoy, Gilroy, Russell and Washington (who had taken over for Garrison).

George Garrison was a high school teammate of David Russell which I have to believe is the only reason he played for St. John's. He is the only D1, 2, 3, NAIA and JUCO player in history that I could have replaced. :silly: :lol:[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far. George was a very good high school player at Bellport. I coached in Suffolk County at the time that they played high school ball. Yes, he played with David in high school and it was strongly rumored that St John's gave George a scholarship in order to get David. But George was not a slouch and, while he wasn't a BE caliber player, he could have played at a lower level D-1 program.

When big time D-1 teams empty their benches, the assumption is that the guys coming into the game for the first time are "scrubs". At big time schools, the guys on the end of the bench were generally All League, All County, etc players who opted to sit the bench at a big time program instead of playing at a less heralded school. But, make no mistake, these kids have ability and can play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, gonzalo

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight