Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ???

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354593

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 477
The first time I ever saw Ponds play was at an event at CW Post the summer before his senior year. I posted here that he was our most important recruit as others were more likely to be shorter term players but Shamorie did not have the size, build, or shooting ability to ever play in the NBA. I also said he might not make much of an impact as a freshman so I certainly am not going to get hired as a college recruiter. None of that was a shot at the guy just a realistic look at his skills.

Ponds ability to get to the basket and finish, even when doubled, even when guys collapsed off of him and dared him to shoot, is amazing. It lead to a great college career. But the size and overall athletic ability of just about all NBA level players negates his greatest attribute. At this level he can make his moves and beat guys to the rim and they will still be able to recover and stop him. That leaves him as a jump shooter and he is average at that at best.

There are a lot of great college players who never make any mark in the NBA. And if Shamorie wanted to try to do it anyway, it's his life and his business so I will root to be wrong about him. But I don't see it as anyones fault. He isn't good enough. Most humans aren't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porgyman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354598

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 444
I guess the post draft and Summer Assessments from the Monday morning QB’s will continue about Ponds . I guess I don’t get the negativity directed at him , even now . He was a excellent player for us for 3 Seasons and did all he could to Win Games . It’s very easy to take cheap shots at any Player . Ponds seems to get more than his share . The NBA draft measured him at less than 6 feet . How many players under 6 feet get drafted into the NBA this season.? What few mention is this is almost a immediate disqualification for a NBA career . Yet , in my opinion Ponds did all could to qualify . Many here felt if he worked harder , watched his diet , maybe read the Bible or bought more Lottery tickets , he would have had a better chance . It’s all nonsense . Ponds shooting ability was condemned and commented on as if he could have improved his shot percentage ? Doubtful . Most BB experts believe shooting ability is like playing the Violin , God Given . Yet ,few here roasted Simon , who for a Top 100 Player , barely could throw the Ball in the Ocean . And , he was Coached by 2 Great Shooters , Sean Miller and Chris Mullin , and after 4 years still could not shoot free throws or 10 foot Jumpers . I don’t want to dump on Simon, although I am using his Lack of shooting skill in defense of Shamorie . At the end of the Day , the key reason Ponds wasn’t drafted is his lack of Size , height wise and Frame wise . Let’s applaud him and what he gave us for 3 Seasons, where he was clearly our Best Player . And , best in the last decade . At a minimum .

Last edit: by SLYFOXX1968.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354631

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 916

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354635

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2118

RedStormNC wrote: forget his training and conditioning while at SJU... It was good enough to average 35 minutes/game and generate 1,870 points over three seasons.

he seems leaner and has been practicing for months since season ended with many team invites and now summer league.

To me the current issue is still not making shots in Summer League... especially from the perimeter when not aggressively guarded. Running laps and eating protein bars after doing dumbbell curls is not going to fix his shot.

Gotta respectively disagree with you there NC. Conditioning, stamina, upper and lower body strength, etc can go a very long way towards improving one’s outside shooting efficiency and increasing range. Especially someone with good form like Shamorie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, mjmaherjr, RedStormNC

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354699

• mjmaherjr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4021

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: I guess the post draft and Summer Assessments from the Monday morning QB’s will continue about Ponds . I guess I don’t get the negativity directed at him , even now . He was a excellent player for us for 3 Seasons and did all he could to Win Games . It’s very easy to take cheap shots at any Player . Ponds seems to get more than his share . The NBA draft measured him at less than 6 feet . How many players under 6 feet get drafted into the NBA this season.? What few mention is this is almost a immediate disqualification for a NBA career . Yet , in my opinion Ponds did all could to qualify . Many here felt if he worked harder , watched his diet , maybe read the Bible or bought more Lottery tickets , he would have had a better chance . It’s all nonsense . Ponds shooting ability was condemned and commented on as if he could have improved his shot percentage ? Doubtful . Most BB experts believe shooting ability is like playing the Violin , God Given . Yet ,few here roasted Simon , who for a Top 100 Player , barely could throw the Ball in the Ocean . And , he was Coached by 2 Great Shooters , Sean Miller and Chris Mullin , and after 4 years still could not shoot free throws or 10 foot Jumpers . I don’t want to dump on Simon, although I am using his Lack of shooting skill in defense of Shamorie . At the end of the Day , the key reason Ponds wasn’t drafted is his lack of Size , height wise and Frame wise . Let’s applaud him and what he gave us for 3 Seasons, where he was clearly our Best Player . And , best in the last decade . At a minimum .

Would have loved if Paragraph training came easier :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 2 weeks ago #354733

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 444

Andrew wrote: www.sportscasting.com/nba/shortest-nba-p...s-in-league-history/

For the little guys out there.

. Thanks, interesting trek down Memory Lane .,The Dynamic of what the profile of potential NBA players has changed over the last 15-20 years or so. It’s rare that a under 6’ player is Drafted and likely not in the first round .

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 2 weeks ago #355079

• Double J
  • Thank you received: 41

Highlights of Shamorie at the Chris Brickley summer workouts in NYC. Brickley is well-known in the NBA world for his offseason workouts with some of the biggest names in the NBA (He also sat courtside at a game at Carnesecca last season). Attendees of this particular workout included Carmelo Anthony, Trae Young, JR Smith, St. John’s alumni J. Cole, and more.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 3 months 1 week ago #357114

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2298
Shamorie posting that he misses college.

Attachments:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 3 months 1 week ago #357115

• Tommy O 54
  • Thank you received: 260
Just sucks, what might of been!!!!

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 3 months 1 week ago #357123

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 127

JohnnyFan wrote: Shamorie posting that he misses college.

Welcome to adulthood, Mr Ponds! While I wish you nothing but the absolute best, you made a choice, and now you have to live with that choice. And this in no way implies that you are unhappy with your decision, but you had all the information in the world in front of you. You knew what you were getting in to. But like I said, good luck and I hope you make it!

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight