Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354545

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12343
  • Thank you received: 4994
Logen reminds me of an old school type. I totally understand what he is saying and completely think and appreciate he is the type of person that pushed himself to the limit in life even as a kid to win. My dad would have loved him as a player. I eventually ended up like that because of getting pushed to the limit by my dad in sports etc but back as a kid I didnt exactly like it and went thru period I wouldn't listen on purpose ( wish I had fraction of Ponds talents ) but some kids need to be pushed. Totally helped me later after college ( had no idea it was going to help me eventually ) in life although if I was a shrink I'm not so sure it's desire to win or fear of failure that has pushed me in life. I had friends like Logen growing up. Will's of steel as kids. Even if they weren't great they willed themselves to be as good as others to prove they belonged. Ironically each of those few guys is extremely successful now in life. The only thing is not every kid is like that. I wont even say blame one but lets say there has to be a balance between what the kid does and what the coach is able to push the player too and it's not the same tactic for everyone which is what made a Parcells so great
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, RedStormRising, panther2, Andrew, Tommy O 54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354552

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 6174
  • Thank you received: 3474
I think what has frustrated many of us with Shamorie is that we feel that he has the ability to be a much better player than he has shown. That doesn't mean that he wasn't a very good player for us(I'll reserve the word "great" for a select few), but there is no one that will ever convince me that we consistently saw the best version of Shamorie. With my own kids, I want them to be the very best that they can be with the God given talents that they have. My son, at this point in his life, is satisfied with being just "good-very good". My daughter, OTOH, will do what it takes to be "great". Every kid is different. If Shamorie wants the NBA badly enough, he will work his ass off to get there. Same as Justin is doing. Otherwise he'll have a nice career in Europe. Nothing wrong with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, shamsman2, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Monte.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354553

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2015
  • Thank you received: 621

Monte wrote: I think what has frustrated many of us with Shamorie is that we feel that he has the ability to be a much better player than he has shown. That doesn't mean that he wasn't a very good player for us(I'll reserve the word "great" for a select few), but there is no one that will ever convince me that we consistently saw the best version of Shamorie. With my own kids, I want them to be the very best that they can be with the God given talents that they have. My son, at this point in his life, is satisfied with being just "good-very good". My daughter, OTOH, will do what it takes to be "great". Every kid is different. If Shamorie wants the NBA badly enough, he will work his ass off to get there. Same as Justin is doing. Otherwise he'll have a nice career in Europe. Nothing wrong with that.


Or maybe we should just accept the fact that, like a lot of other guys, Shamorie's a great college player, who for all the reasons already discussed, just isn't cut out for an NBA career. He can make a ton of money overseas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vandiemen8, AlBovino, Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354555

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 6174
  • Thank you received: 3474

Section9 wrote:

Monte wrote: I think what has frustrated many of us with Shamorie is that we feel that he has the ability to be a much better player than he has shown. That doesn't mean that he wasn't a very good player for us(I'll reserve the word "great" for a select few), but there is no one that will ever convince me that we consistently saw the best version of Shamorie. With my own kids, I want them to be the very best that they can be with the God given talents that they have. My son, at this point in his life, is satisfied with being just "good-very good". My daughter, OTOH, will do what it takes to be "great". Every kid is different. If Shamorie wants the NBA badly enough, he will work his ass off to get there. Same as Justin is doing. Otherwise he'll have a nice career in Europe. Nothing wrong with that.


Or maybe we should just accept the fact that, like a lot of other guys, Shamorie's a great college player, who for all the reasons already discussed, just isn't cut out for an NBA career. He can make a ton of money overseas.


That may very well be the case, but the 2 thoughts aren't mutually exclusive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354556

  • Eric Williamson
  • Eric Williamson's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 264
  • Thank you received: 182
One of the main things that will probably keep him out of the NBA is something that he has zero control over, and that is his height. That's just the way that it is. With that being said, it's extremely frustrating as a fan to see him apparently neglect all of the things that he does have control over....his conditioning, his shooting, etc. It doesn't take a coach or anyone else to look at stats and be like, 'the average NBA player make 42% of his 3 attempts...currently, I am only making 34% of them...that won't be good enough...maybe I should improve my shooting."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354557

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12077
  • Thank you received: 4128

Eric Williamson wrote: One of the main things that will probably keep him out of the NBA is something that he has zero control over, and that is his height. That's just the way that it is. With that being said, it's extremely frustrating as a fan to see him apparently neglect all of the things that he does have control over....his conditioning, his shooting, etc. It doesn't take a coach or anyone else to look at stats and be like, 'the average NBA player make 42% of his 3 attempts...currently, I am only making 34% of them...that won't be good enough...maybe I should improve my shooting."


www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354558

  • Roamer
  • Roamer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 168
  • Thank you received: 46
Shamori will have a nice career and income doing what he loves and playing ball. We should all wish we could be so lucky:) I appreciated him for choosing SJU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, panther2, romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354563

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6870
  • Thank you received: 3370
Found this interesting with regard to Ponds.

www.newsday.com/sports/college/stony-bro...ll-league-1.33952670
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354588

  • Eric Williamson
  • Eric Williamson's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 264
  • Thank you received: 182

Beast of the East wrote:

Eric Williamson wrote: One of the main things that will probably keep him out of the NBA is something that he has zero control over, and that is his height. That's just the way that it is. With that being said, it's extremely frustrating as a fan to see him apparently neglect all of the things that he does have control over....his conditioning, his shooting, etc. It doesn't take a coach or anyone else to look at stats and be like, 'the average NBA player make 42% of his 3 attempts...currently, I am only making 34% of them...that won't be good enough...maybe I should improve my shooting."


www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct


What's your point? That's the team rankings. I don't take that as having much weight, because you are always going to the outliers that will sway that % one way or the other.

I look at it this way. Over his career here, Ponds was a 32.8% shooter from three. He wants to be a PG in the league. He's not going to get a lot of opportunities to score, so he needs to be able to make the most of those opportunities, and his current shooting abilities aren't good enough.

But back to my original point, he knew what he needed to work on, and he obviously failed to do so, and that is on him and him only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354589

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3460
  • Thank you received: 1911

mjmaherjr wrote: Logen reminds me of an old school type. I totally understand what he is saying and completely think and appreciate he is the type of person that pushed himself to the limit in life even as a kid to win. My dad would have loved him as a player. I eventually ended up like that because of getting pushed to the limit by my dad in sports etc but back as a kid I didnt exactly like it and went thru period I wouldn't listen on purpose ( wish I had fraction of Ponds talents ) but some kids need to be pushed. Totally helped me later after college ( had no idea it was going to help me eventually ) in life although if I was a shrink I'm not so sure it's desire to win or fear of failure that has pushed me in life. I had friends like Logen growing up. Will's of steel as kids. Even if they weren't great they willed themselves to be as good as others to prove they belonged. Ironically each of those few guys is extremely successful now in life. The only thing is not every kid is like that. I wont even say blame one but lets say there has to be a balance between what the kid does and what the coach is able to push the player too and it's not the same tactic for everyone which is what made a Parcells so great


Scary good read of me. To elaborate, I love(d) to win but to this day I am definitely more driven by the fear of failure. The only thing you left out is that ultra competitive nature also manifests itself in my ability to be a completely unreasonable a$$hole when I feel I am challenged or told what to do. 68 years old and still too often immature as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight