Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354487

• austour
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1112

Logen wrote:

austour wrote: Now get off my lawn before I throw my cane at you!

But seriously blame is obviously shared however as an executive it is your fault, even if it's your subordinates fault. End of story.

At the end of the day the inept staff let it happen, it wouldn't happen at a program with successful management from a professional, qualified staff. Unfortunately neither were present.

Oh, nonsense. Please tell me the “professional, qualified staff” that NEVER had a player not realize their potential.

Sorry when I wrote this I assumed you would understand that I was complaining about a staff that did not have any of their players realize their potential, Shamori is just the exsmple we are discussing now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354491

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4128
What I completely hate about this entire subject is that not a single one of us (yes us) experts was complaining about Ponds effort or conditioning when he got out of the gates strong this past season, was logging a ton of minutes, and played like the kid who had heard the criticisms from scouts who graded him.at the NBA workouts summer of 2018. At that time he was given credit for refining his game, working on shot selection, making his teammates better, and reducing mistakes and turnovers. Probably high point was how he closed out the Georgetown game.

He was a completely different player over over the last 5 or 6 big east season games, the BET, and 1 NCAA game. Unfortunately he appeared to lose focus, or was just part of the team's collapse, but I can say that that before the collapse no one was complaining one bit about his conditioning, ability, or attitude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354505

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4128

panther2 wrote:
In fairness to Coach Mullin, I don't think that he knew what would be expected of him as a college basketball coach on a daily basis and was overwhelmed when he found out it was a 12 month a year job.

Y'all can say what you want about Lavin, but his players knew that he cared about them. All of his players that stayed, grew and matured under his tutelage. You don't have to look any further than D'Angelo Harrison for confirmation.

We have been so critical of the coaches that were fired from here, and generally has tended to portray them negatively in all ways. Using Redmen.com as a sounding board, something you get crapped on immediately for doing otherwise, but people generally come around after a while.

There was continually a lot of negative reaction when I gave Lavin a lot of credit for giving D'Angelo a second chance. The kids really liked him a lot and I think his relationships with his players went far beyond basketball. He had on court clashes with Obekpa, but it's clear from some of their social media exchanges that they have a warm and close relationship today.

I've read that one of Joe Lapchick's most important rules with players were that there were no rules. The reason for that to him was that every kid is different and needs different things from a coach, so how you respond to a kid stepping out of line can't be doled out equally. Lavin seemed to be in this camp.

We also crapped mericelly (and somewhat deservedly) on Mike Jarvis, but also gave him no props whatsoever. However, he was probably by a wide margin our best bench coach in quite some time.

I've said a lot about my support of Coach Mullin and staff, and while the deficiencies were obvious to most, he brought a lot back to the program. He got us to the dance in 4 years, and probably would have in year 3 if Lovett hadn't quit from another thin roster. The reason that we had our best attendance in 27 years is directly related to not only a good team, by a good team coached by Chris Mullin. I also know that our players felt strongly about him, and that it was mutual.

You are correct that coach's job is to prepare players to play in all ways, and that part of coaching strategy is to put each player in a role that he can be most successful - leveraging his abilities to the max, and helping the team win.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354532

• simplyred
  • Thank you received: 165
Imagine a coach walking into a kid’s living room and telling the parents: I really want your son to come play for me but he is totally responsible for his own success or failure. I take no responsibility for pushing him to be his best. If he doesn’t make it, I am not at all to blame. Now, do I have his commitment?

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354533

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1911

simplyred wrote: Imagine a coach walking into a kid’s living room and telling the parents: I really want your son to come play for me but he is totally responsible for his own success or failure. I take no responsibility for pushing him to be his best. If he doesn’t make it, I am not at all to blame. Now, do I have his commitment?

Who said that? Further, isn’t Mullin gone? The discussion is not whether Mullin was a good coach, he wasn’t and as such, was let go. The argument was whether Ponds needed to be pushed TO GET IN SHAPE!! Junior high athletes know you need to be in shape to perform at your best, but it escaped an aspiring NBA player? My last word, this thread has turned surreal and I am sorry for my contribution to that.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354534

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 2397

Logen wrote:

simplyred wrote: Imagine a coach walking into a kid’s living room and telling the parents: I really want your son to come play for me but he is totally responsible for his own success or failure. I take no responsibility for pushing him to be his best. If he doesn’t make it, I am not at all to blame. Now, do I have his commitment?

Who said that? Further, isn’t Mullin gone? The discussion is not whether Mullin was a good coach, he wasn’t and as such, was let go. The argument was whether Ponds needed to be pushed TO GET IN SHAPE!! Junior high athletes know you need to be in shape to perform at your best, but it escaped an aspiring NBA player? My last word, this thread has turned surreal and I am sorry for my contribution to that.

Wow. Let's all just say both a player and a coach has responsibilities and end it already. :ohmy: :cheer:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354535

• Logen

austour wrote:

Logen wrote:

But seriously blame is obviously shared however as an executive it is your fault, even if it's your subordinates fault. End of story.

At the end of the day the inept staff let it happen, it wouldn't happen at a program with successful management from a professional, qualified staff. Unfortunately neither were present.

Oh, nonsense. Please tell me the “professional, qualified staff” that NEVER had a player not realize their potential.

Sorry when I wrote this I assumed you would understand that I was complaining about a staff that did not have any of their players realize their potential, Shamori is just the exsmple we are discussing now.

Sorry but this was a singular Ponds thread, not sure why you would assume one would know your post addressed the whole team. Not sure, emphasis on not sure, you could paint Simon and Figueroa with that brush but that would be a whole different discussion.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354536

• Logen

bamafan wrote:

Logen wrote:

Wow. Let's all just say both a player and a coach has responsibilities and end it already. :ohmy: :cheer:

I lied because you hit a pet peeve. Why don’t you just stop reading if it exasperates you so?

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354537

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 2397

Logen wrote:

bamafan wrote:

Logen wrote:

I lied because you hit a pet peeve. Why don’t you just stop reading if it exasperates you so?

You're the one who said the thread had become surreal and you apologized for your contributions to it. But thanks for the advice I'll save some time from reading your posts.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354543

• austour
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1112

Logen wrote:

austour wrote:

Logen wrote:

Sorry but this was a singular Ponds thread, not sure why you would assume one would know your post addressed the whole team. Not sure, emphasis on not sure, you could paint Simon and Figueroa with that brush but that would be a whole different discussion.

Sorry, I was partially kidding and partially playing on the fact that everyone knows I had no faith in the staff since they were a rumor days before they were hired. But re Justin and LJ, did either of them improve much during Mullin's tenure? Just because they were better than anyone thought they'd be who's to say they weren't that good when they arrived? Simon was a top 50 recruit who got no burn at Arizona and Fig was a JCAA. Did either outperform my expectations? Nope.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight