Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354402

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1106
I find it very interesting to see how this board views D'Angelo Harrison Vs Shamorie Ponds once they both left the school. If I remember correctly, Harrison was criticized extensively during his middle years, but was widely praised after he graduated. Ponds, it seems the exact opposite.

For me, the difference is clearly in attitude, lack of humility, and effort.

It's really a bit sad to me that one of our greatest scorers in school history will be remembered this way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, Beast of the East, gonzalo, RedStormRising, richard A Steinfeld

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354440

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4128

Room112 wrote: I find it very interesting to see how this board views D'Angelo Harrison Vs Shamorie Ponds once they both left the school. If I remember correctly, Harrison was criticized extensively during his middle years, but was widely praised after he graduated. Ponds, it seems the exact opposite.

For me, the difference is clearly in attitude, lack of humility, and effort.

It's really a bit sad to me that one of our greatest scorers in school history will be remembered this way.

THis is a really good post. There are some distinct differences in both players, and I think it would be interesting to discuss how we would rate each basketball wise.

Obviously though, Harrison is viewed differently, and perhaps unfairly to his benefit for the following reasons:

1) Harrison is a story of redemption, one where he was on the precipice of blowing his entire college career because of the straw that broke the camel's back with his outburst in game to coaching staff while Lavin was away at his father's funeral. The work he did with John Lucas to reign in his anger issues and how he returned and appeared to channel all of his energy into hard nosed basketball. He was contrite, and instead of blaming Lavin or making excuses, sincerely thanked Lavin for both disciplining him and keeping him. In short he was a man about the whole thing.
2) Harrison sort of gets a pass on the team's failures in his senior season, the only season he played in the NCAA's. He began the season as a man on a mission, and went on a tear that propelled him into consideration as a Wooden award finalist. It was only when a shoulder injury, incurred on the court by his physical play that derailed him and the season in process. Without a healthy Harrison, and without the tourney suspended Obekpa, the team didn't have a prayer, even against a weak San Diego State team where coincidentally we faced Polee, an ex Redmen.
3) Harrison was refreshingly honest about his pro prospects, knowing he wasn't an NBA caliber player. When asked what he'd like to do after college, he would tell his grandmother he wanted to be an announcer.
4) D'Angelo is a great interview - articulate, well spoken, with candid well thought out responses to questions.

It's not fair to compare D'Angelo's personna to Shamorie's, but is fair to note that without being critical of Shamorie's basketball skills, his promising junior team collapsed when Lovett quit,and his senior team went into the dumper in crunch time of the Big East season, in the BET, and the NCAAs. As our best player, unfairly or not, much of the blame is directed at him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354443

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 182

Andrew wrote: I am somewhere in the middle of this Ponds discussion. Certainly a player of Ponds talent should have been doing whatever necessary to make himself the best player possible if he wanted to have a shot at the NBA. This includes what has been already said. Putting in additional work on everything from shooting, defense, strength training and nutrition. Blaming others and making excuses doesn't get you anywhere. On the flip side the school and coaches should be doing everything possible to help a special talent achieve their goals. I have no idea what was going on in regards to this but the resources that are put into the program are often poorly allocated and the teams results on the court have not exactly been stellar. They also don't put a lot of kids in the NBA which if you are not a strong willed person makes it even tougher as you may not see the work that needs to go in before it is too late. It is not good that a player of Ponds level has not reached his full potential. In this case it may be more on the player but it is not a perception that helps a basketball program.

Was Ponds really that special of a talent though? He was very good for us, but I don't know if I would necessarily call him 'special'. He definitely had his moments, but he also disappeared in a lot of games too.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354444

• panther2
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2869
How many of you all realize that St. Johns did not have a Strength and Conditioning coach all of last summer. Now Mullin and Richmond were also absent and in California. This is not the way to run a Big East program. Shamorie is dealing with the results of his attitude now. He should have been more self motivated. However, to try to absolve the previous staff for any responsibility in his poor performance is just wrong. In any business, the CEO is responsible for the production of his employees, college basketball is no different. Everyone is not self motivated, particularly 20 year olds. You can't expect a business to run itself which is essentially what was going on with St. Johns basketball last summer.

In fairness to Coach Mullin, I don't think that he knew what would be expected of him as a college basketball coach on a daily basis and was overwhelmed when he found out it was a 12 month a year job.

The most important lesson that I learned in my 30 years as a Substance Abuse and then a Vocational Counselor is "that patients/clients will not care about how much you know, until they know how much you care". The same can be said of coaches, players they to feel that coaches care for them as individuals first and foremost, and then for what they can contribute on the court.

Y'all can say what you want about Lavin, but his players knew that he cared about them. All of his players that stayed, grew and matured under his tutelage. You don't have to look any further than D'Angelo Harrison for confirmation.

In addition, when Lavin had his camp in the summer, players like Justin, Paris, DJ, Malik Boothe, Sean Evans were there. Also Anthony Glover and Kyle Cuffe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, isham, redmannorth, redken, MJDinkins, JackofVirginia, gonzalo, RedStormRising, capmaker, Jnaw17 and 2 other people also said thanks.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354445

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 154
Panther,

I always respect your posts and the one above is no exception. It seems to me that there is a fine line as to the responsibilities of the CEO or Coach and the individuals own responsibilities. I believe we are all responsible for our own actions, and if 20 year olds are to be given a pass because of their age, then just maybe the voting age in this country is too low.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354448

• panther2
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2869
Al Bovino,

If you look, I did not give Shamorie a pass. He is responsible for his behavior. However, the staff has to be held accountable also for allowing this behavior. In any workplace,when someone is slacking off, it is the responsibility of Management to address the issue. How can you address something if you are 3,000 miles away?
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, redken, gonzalo, RedStormRising, bamafan, L J S A

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354450

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3370

panther2 wrote: Al Bovino,

If you look, I did not give Shamorie a pass. He is responsible for his behavior. However, the staff has to be held accountable also for allowing this behavior. In any workplace,when someone is slacking off, it is the responsibility of Management to address the issue. How can you address something if you are 3,000 miles away?

It actually sounds like Bovino is trying to give the previous staff a pass . . . yet again.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354452

• austour
  • Thank you received: 1112

L J S A wrote:

panther2 wrote: Al Bovino,

It actually sounds like Bovino is trying to give the previous staff a pass . . . yet again.

Shocker.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354453

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1427
Chris Mullin could throw a basketball at Al Bovino's face breaking his nose with no one else around and he would tell people his face flew into the basketball.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 1 year 3 months ago #354454

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 154
Same typical bunch of jerks. My response to Panther had to do with Ponds not Mullin. Ponds has made decisions about how to proceed with his career that have nothing to do with Mullin. The person primarily responsible for Ponds being out of shape and his poor play is Ponds himself. Blaming others for one's own failures is part of our current culture, which coddles losers and promotes a lack of responsibility for one's actions.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight