Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ???

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354227

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3152

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote: Shamorie needs to fire whoever his agent is. Obviously the league wasn't too high on him to begin with because he wasn't drafted, but how do they let him sign with the Rockets? At least get him to a summer league team where he can actually play his natural position..... The Rockets summer league team is just a bunch of mercenaries out to get their own. This has gotta be one of the least ideal situations he could have possibly gone to.

He hired a guy who had never repped a basketball player before. I remember when he announced it I checked out their site and basketball was the one sport they had no representation in. Speaks volumes
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, L J S A, Tommy O 54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354230

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1145
I still wish Slick nothing but the best obviously, but so far (hopefully it changes) he looks like he doesn't belong unfortunately. I think the advent of social media with thousands of yes men, I mean followers in these players' ears warps their true sense of their abilities. How many times do we see "GOAT" or other such things posted even on solid but not great players' pages? Then they get the nice cars somehow and the Rolex and they think they've already made it before they actually have. To make it at the NBA level you need top notch nutrition, top notch physical training, speed, strength, and a 100% commitment. Even with that some don't make it. Confidence is good but too much of it can result in guys sitting back and expecting greatness instead of earning it. This is not an attack on Slick, I'm talking players in general but unfortunately I do think he was affected by this as well. Just keeping it real.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Room112, Moose, gonzalo, Class of 72

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354237

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1243
Maybe his future is overseas and not in the NBA, but he really left college a year early. I'd give him time to learn what he needs to do to prepare for the next level. I'll be rooting for him wherever he plays. He was a very good Johnnie.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354264

• romiSJU
  • Thank you received: 30
Wish he would show off some of his mid-range game bc it is money.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354268

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 258
Unfortunately, I agree with the general consensus about Ponds Summer League performance. He and his agent really should have made clear that they only want to be somewhere where he'll be the primary ball handler on the court. That's his future in the league if he has one. Because he's not running point, Clements is handling the ball, jacking up a crazy amount of shots and stole the show while Shamorie camped out in the corner and never got a chance to get into a flow.

He very well may be destined to play overseas. No shame in that and he can make a good living if he has the right mental make up for it. A lot of young guys don't. Unless he plays the best ball of his life in training camp he's not making the roster. I think if he really commits to getting into shape (it's clear from the games that he's still not in NBA shape) and finds a G-league team that will let him play as a true PG he can work his way into the league but it's going to take a level of dedication and determination that we haven't seen from him yet.

I'm rooting for him. Hall of Fame Johnnie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, NCJohnnie

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354286

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 122

Moose wrote:

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote: Shamorie needs to fire whoever his agent is. Obviously the league wasn't too high on him to begin with because he wasn't drafted, but how do they let him sign with the Rockets? At least get him to a summer league team where he can actually play his natural position..... The Rockets summer league team is just a bunch of mercenaries out to get their own. This has gotta be one of the least ideal situations he could have possibly gone to.

He hired a guy who had never repped a basketball player before. I remember when he announced it I checked out their site and basketball was the one sport they had no representation in. Speaks volumes

Don't blame the agent......this is all on Ponds. No one forced him to leave school early, and no one forced him to sign with the Rockets. He made his own decision, and now he has to deal with the consequences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlBovino

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354287

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3152

Eric Williamson wrote:

Moose wrote:

Don't blame the agent......this is all on Ponds. No one forced him to leave school early, and no one forced him to sign with the Rockets. He made his own decision, and now he has to deal with the consequences.

I never blamed the agent.
My feelings regarding Ponds haven’t exactly been hidden

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354289

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3738
I will always be appreciative for Shamorie staying home and he was a very good player for us for 3 years. Wish him the best, but for that to happen he has to accept the fact that he is not a superstar and needs to get in shape and work his behind off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, QueensBall

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354293

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 1145
Shamorie Ponds
@ShamorieP
Time 2 get back to work! Haven’t been playing like myself.. Gone get myself together & Bounce back!

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 4 months 3 weeks ago #354295

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 258
In the end, Ponds is of course responsible for his own choices, including what agent he decides to hire. However, that doesn't mean we can't have empathy for him. These guys are so young. Ponds just turned 21. And while that is certainly an adult age where you have to accept repercussions for poor decisions I think we would all agree that it's the stage of adulthood when you're at your most naive. I'm almost 37 and anyone reading this who's older than me probably knows my current level of naivety better than I do.

Being a professional athlete seems crazy to me. It's one of the few occupations when you're at a very high earning potential that early in life (hopefully early of course). I have no idea if this is true, but there's a good chance this is the first time Shamorie has had to deal with signing a contract for money. You're putting a massive amount of trust in your agent. I had no idea (as Moose mentioned ) that he signed with an agent who hadn't represented basketball players before. That's a really interesting piece of information. The role of an agent is to get you jobs and guide you through negotiations. I wouldn't want to trust my future to someone who hasn't guided successful players before. I was once told that an agent's first client should be someone who has no other choice (I'm in a different field but believe it still applies) Don't let someone use your career as a training ground for theirs. Shamorie comes off cool but he's a young guy who may be intimidated in a conference room/office setting. The kid is a baller who just wants to get on the court and ball. He trusted a guy to put him in a position to succeed and it appears that guy failed him. He may look back in 15 years and realize he had better options. For that I have empathy because I relate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctstorm, romiSJU, Andrew

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight