Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352353

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3623
  • Thank you received: 2288

panther2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: I watched Shamorie Ponds for most of his senior year of high school. A very crafty player with an incredible quick step to the basket. His mid range shot was natural but his defense was lacking in many games. Under a different staff he may have improved in decision making and body strength. Unfortunately none of his deficiencies were completely resolved and any one-to-one tutelage were not evident after 3 years. There is a world of difference between Toronto's Kyle! Lowry and Van Vleet and it's not just the 15 pounds these 6 footers have on Shamorie. They play hardnose defense and make good decisions. That comes from the playing for two of the best college coaches in the game.


I am not going to compare the coaches because there is no comparison, BUT, I can’t agree that a player at the D1 level needs to be coached to play defense or that a player with pro aspirations needs to be coached to work at his game. Maybe Mullin didn’t help, I don’t know, but for example, do you think Mullin spent all those legendary midnight hours in the gym because of Louie’s coaching? A pet peeve of mine, but we seem to have lost the concept of self determination and personal responsibility. IMO, it is not anyone’s fault but your own if you want something more than you are willing to work for it.




Part of a coach's responsibility is to hold players accountable for their behavior and attitude. Mullin did not do that with Shamorie, who appeared to be out of shape to me and some others last year. Shamorie's decision making left a lot to be desired at times. Mullin could have sat him down for a couple of minutes to let him know that he was not playing well, but that did not happen. For all intents and purpose, Shamorie was the man. However, he never realized that a lot of responsibility comes with being the man. This is where I feel that the coaching staff failed him. Not everyone is self motivated, sometimes players need a reality check.

Forget about Lowry or VanVleet, let's look at how Lavin handled D'Angelo when his attitude was poor. Lavin suspended him and held him accountable for his actions. This action ended up helping D'Angelo and St. Johns. While Shamorie's behavior may not have been as extreme as D'Angelo's, it was still detrimental to the team and should have been addressed. The fact that it was not is on the staff. Now I also understand, it is hard to bench the player who gives you the best chance of winning. The flip side is that when you don't, you lose control of that player and the team.

Having said this, I hope that Shamorie learned a lesson this year. He is a very talented player and can make it in the League if he can discipline himself. I am rooting for him to have a successful career. However, as Jerry Powell states, "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard".


I am not inferring Mullin did right by him by any means, frankly, I don't know what their relationship was behind close doors and what conversations they had or didn't have. But I stand by my statement. So let's forget Mullin for a second; Ponds went around to tryouts prior to coming back last year, am I to believe he got no feedback in that experience that he would have been able to apply to his play last year? I am sorry, to me this is so much nonsense, Shamorie Ponds comes back to play for a pro contract, is out of shape, and that is Chris Mullins fault? What it this junior high or CYO? Many here have one excuse after another for his underwhelming play, guys didn't make shots, Mullin didn't hold him accountable, etc. I am supposed to believe that Mullin never sat him down and talked to him? Then why in the hell would Ponds come back for one more year under those circumstances? Everything is someone else's fault to many of you on this board and none of you seem towant to hold him accountable for HIS own actions. You know what - transplant Myles Powell's heart and attitude to Ponds and there would be your first round pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlBovino, richard A Steinfeld, algold98

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Logen.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352360

  • panther2
  • panther2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1138
  • Thank you received: 3616

Logen wrote:

panther2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: I watched Shamorie Ponds for most of his senior year of high school. A very crafty player with an incredible quick step to the basket. His mid range shot was natural but his defense was lacking in many games. Under a different staff he may have improved in decision making and body strength. Unfortunately none of his deficiencies were completely resolved and any one-to-one tutelage were not evident after 3 years. There is a world of difference between Toronto's Kyle! Lowry and Van Vleet and it's not just the 15 pounds these 6 footers have on Shamorie. They play hardnose defense and make good decisions. That comes from the playing for two of the best college coaches in the game.


I am not going to compare the coaches because there is no comparison, BUT, I can’t agree that a player at the D1 level needs to be coached to play defense or that a player with pro aspirations needs to be coached to work at his game. Maybe Mullin didn’t help, I don’t know, but for example, do you think Mullin spent all those legendary midnight hours in the gym because of Louie’s coaching? A pet peeve of mine, but we seem to have lost the concept of self determination and personal responsibility. IMO, it is not anyone’s fault but your own if you want something more than you are willing to work for it.




Part of a coach's responsibility is to hold players accountable for their behavior and attitude. Mullin did not do that with Shamorie, who appeared to be out of shape to me and some others last year. Shamorie's decision making left a lot to be desired at times. Mullin could have sat him down for a couple of minutes to let him know that he was not playing well, but that did not happen. For all intents and purpose, Shamorie was the man. However, he never realized that a lot of responsibility comes with being the man. This is where I feel that the coaching staff failed him. Not everyone is self motivated, sometimes players need a reality check.

Forget about Lowry or VanVleet, let's look at how Lavin handled D'Angelo when his attitude was poor. Lavin suspended him and held him accountable for his actions. This action ended up helping D'Angelo and St. Johns. While Shamorie's behavior may not have been as extreme as D'Angelo's, it was still detrimental to the team and should have been addressed. The fact that it was not is on the staff. Now I also understand, it is hard to bench the player who gives you the best chance of winning. The flip side is that when you don't, you lose control of that player and the team.

Having said this, I hope that Shamorie learned a lesson this year. He is a very talented player and can make it in the League if he can discipline himself. I am rooting for him to have a successful career. However, as Jerry Powell states, "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard".


I am not inferring Mullin did right by him by any means, frankly, I don't know what their relationship was behind close doors and what conversations they had or didn't have. But I stand by my statement. So let's forget Mullin for a second; Ponds went around to tryouts prior to coming back last year, am I to believe he got no feedback in that experience that he would have been able to apply to his play last year? I am sorry, to me this is so much nonsense, Shamorie Ponds comes back to play for a pro contract, is out of shape, and that is Chris Mullins fault? What it this junior high or CYO? Many here have one excuse after another for his underwhelming play, guys didn't make shots, Mullin didn't hold him accountable, etc. I am supposed to believe that Mullin never sat him down and talked to him? Then why in the hell would Ponds come back for one more year under those circumstances? Everything is someone else's fault to many of you on this board and none of you seem towant to hold him accountable for HIS own actions. You know what - transplant Myles Powell's heart and attitude to Ponds and there would be your first round pick.




Nowhere in my post did I make an excuse for his play. What I stated was that he was not held accountable for his lack of conditioning and attitude. I have seen players suspended for being out of shape and other reasons.To my knowledge, Shamorie was never disciplined. Is it on Shamorie to be in shape and have a good attitude, definitely. However, it is on the coaching staff to discipline him if he does not adhere to certain standards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, bamafan, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352443

  • AJ Hidell
  • AJ Hidell's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 144
  • Thank you received: 81
Celtics in 2nd Round is my best guess/prediction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352523

  • romiSJU
  • romiSJU's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 431
  • Thank you received: 51
Shamorie on ESPNU right now playing a scrimmage at the combine wearing #5 in white.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352524

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4570
  • Thank you received: 1305
Would be nice if they said something about the players and the game going on behind them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352525

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 13858
  • Thank you received: 7439
If every player had the mindset to stay in shape then why would we have a strength and conditioning coach

I forget which players but I definitely remember seeing some interviews from players saying how grueling Jim Calhoun was on them but it was tough love
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352526

  • JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 4584
  • Thank you received: 3837
Only going on social media posts from the weight room and gym, but I do believe Marv and Simon worked on strength and stayed in shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352528

  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5841
  • Thank you received: 1335
I expect someone to pick up Ponds in the latter part of the second round. Hopefully he makes the most of his chance. I am rooting for him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, mjmaherjr, redken, romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352531

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3623
  • Thank you received: 2288

panther2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

panther2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: I watched Shamorie Ponds for most of his senior year of high school. A very crafty player with an incredible quick step to the basket. His mid range shot was natural but his defense was lacking in many games. Under a different staff he may have improved in decision making and body strength. Unfortunately none of his deficiencies were completely resolved and any one-to-one tutelage were not evident after 3 years. There is a world of difference between Toronto's Kyle! Lowry and Van Vleet and it's not just the 15 pounds these 6 footers have on Shamorie. They play hardnose defense and make good decisions. That comes from the playing for two of the best college coaches in the game.


I am not going to compare the coaches because there is no comparison, BUT, I can’t agree that a player at the D1 level needs to be coached to play defense or that a player with pro aspirations needs to be coached to work at his game. Maybe Mullin didn’t help, I don’t know, but for example, do you think Mullin spent all those legendary midnight hours in the gym because of Louie’s coaching? A pet peeve of mine, but we seem to have lost the concept of self determination and personal responsibility. IMO, it is not anyone’s fault but your own if you want something more than you are willing to work for it.




Part of a coach's responsibility is to hold players accountable for their behavior and attitude. Mullin did not do that with Shamorie, who appeared to be out of shape to me and some others last year. Shamorie's decision making left a lot to be desired at times. Mullin could have sat him down for a couple of minutes to let him know that he was not playing well, but that did not happen. For all intents and purpose, Shamorie was the man. However, he never realized that a lot of responsibility comes with being the man. This is where I feel that the coaching staff failed him. Not everyone is self motivated, sometimes players need a reality check.

Forget about Lowry or VanVleet, let's look at how Lavin handled D'Angelo when his attitude was poor. Lavin suspended him and held him accountable for his actions. This action ended up helping D'Angelo and St. Johns. While Shamorie's behavior may not have been as extreme as D'Angelo's, it was still detrimental to the team and should have been addressed. The fact that it was not is on the staff. Now I also understand, it is hard to bench the player who gives you the best chance of winning. The flip side is that when you don't, you lose control of that player and the team.

Having said this, I hope that Shamorie learned a lesson this year. He is a very talented player and can make it in the League if he can discipline himself. I am rooting for him to have a successful career. However, as Jerry Powell states, "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard".


I am not inferring Mullin did right by him by any means, frankly, I don't know what their relationship was behind close doors and what conversations they had or didn't have. But I stand by my statement. So let's forget Mullin for a second; Ponds went around to tryouts prior to coming back last year, am I to believe he got no feedback in that experience that he would have been able to apply to his play last year? I am sorry, to me this is so much nonsense, Shamorie Ponds comes back to play for a pro contract, is out of shape, and that is Chris Mullins fault? What it this junior high or CYO? Many here have one excuse after another for his underwhelming play, guys didn't make shots, Mullin didn't hold him accountable, etc. I am supposed to believe that Mullin never sat him down and talked to him? Then why in the hell would Ponds come back for one more year under those circumstances? Everything is someone else's fault to many of you on this board and none of you seem towant to hold him accountable for HIS own actions. You know what - transplant Myles Powell's heart and attitude to Ponds and there would be your first round pick.




Nowhere in my post did I make an excuse for his play. What I stated was that he was not held accountable for his lack of conditioning and attitude. I have seen players suspended for being out of shape and other reasons.To my knowledge, Shamorie was never disciplined. Is it on Shamorie to be in shape and have a good attitude, definitely. However, it is on the coaching staff to discipline him if he does not adhere to certain standards.


Obviously I completely misread and misunderstood your point. My bad and my apologies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, mjmaherjr, panther2, romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 2 years 3 months ago #352532

  • Redman#13
  • Redman#13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 433
  • Thank you received: 133
Hope for Shamories sake he gets drafted. He's excited about the draft per his Instagram. But should he be? I don't see him on a couple mock drafts. I also don't think he gets drafted simply because he showed up to these workouts not in great shape. What was he doing while at SJU
The following user(s) said Thank You: algold98

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight