Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pitino

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338644

• redmen4life
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok. I've come around to Pitino since last night.

1. He's more affordable.... which means...
2. More money for quality assistants....
3. Proven winner....
4. MSG, Nike, Big East, would love it.....
5. Players will want to play for him....

Let's do it
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, Room112, SJUNC, thetux1, RedStormRising, Rehobie, Matty Hoops, tom bradley, SigEpSJU09, oldschool Redmen and 6 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338645

• Ray Morgan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 783
Recruiting at St. John's has been a challenge ever since Looie left, and the dorms were built. Slice was supposed to be a great recruiter, but we all found out this isn't Kentucky or even Pitt. The thinking on this board has consistently been that only a coaching legend (from the modern era) can overcome the uneven playing field that comes with being a commuter school without football revenue and chefs and the like. We can all agree that Pitino is a coaching legend, while Hurley is not there yet. While hiring Pitino is a bit cringe-worthy, I am certainly curious as to whether he would prove the "big name" theory to be correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: docbutler, tom bradley

Last edit: by Ray Morgan.

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338647

• tom bradley
  • Thank you received: 222
Pitino will sell out the garden, get good kids, will be a disciplined team for sure. Fox will be happy, MSG will be happy, Nike will be happy, and the fans will be happy. He just needs to be supervised. I am under no delusions that he will need to be followed. He will come less expensive than Hurley. He is someone Roy, Coach K, Cal will have to take seriously recruiting against us. No hire is perfect, but this is the best and maybe last opportunity to become a Natl Champ contender instead of a pretender every 4 years looking for a new coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, isham, SJUNC, SigEpSJU09, SeattleJohnny

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338648

• SeattleJohnny
  • Thank you received: 126
It's Rick Time baby!

That would be such an amazing hire, our current kids would most likely stay and recruiting would be very solid. We would be the talk of the country!
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, Matty Hoops, tom bradley, SigEpSJU09, Chicago Days

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338652

• Monte
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121

GoldenLeaf wrote: Well screw the mission, let's make MONEY!!!

I hear what you’re saying GL, but if the school is that concerned about morals and ethics, then they ought to get out of the business of college basketball. Or at least move down a few levels where the waters aren’t as infested by sharks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUNC, SigEpSJU09, Chicago Days

Last edit: by Monte.

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338654

• sirvoo
Not stating anything that we don't already know, but just to keep everyone updated here...This guy can flat out coach still. I follow the Greek league as I am 100% Greek. This guy took a team in Panathinaikos who were absolute dogshit this year and brought them to the Euroleague playoffs. Won the Greek Cup with them.

My team Olympiakos refused to leave the locker room at halftime of a game against Pitino we were losing so bad! (techinically it was in protest of the officials which is such a Euro move)

When you consider that along with the fact that many prominent coaches are not good people both personally and professionally, I see no issue with bringing him in here whatsoever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, tom bradley, Tommy O 54

Last edit: by sirvoo.

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338658

• thetux1
  • Thank you received: 66

tom bradley wrote: Pitino will sell out the garden, get good kids, will be a disciplined team for sure. Fox will be happy, MSG will be happy, Nike will be happy, and the fans will be happy. He just needs to be supervised. I am under no delusions that he will need to be followed. He will come less expensive than Hurley. He is someone Roy, Coach K, Cal will have to take seriously recruiting against us. No hire is perfect, but this is the best and maybe last opportunity to become a Natl Champ contender instead of a pretender every 4 years looking for a new coach.

Yeah but the angelic morality police...........

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338659

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3152
Hurley almost seems like an anti SJU move.

Pitino would fit out fan base more as such a controversial choice splitting our fan base :woohoo:

Last edit: by Moose.

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338660

• tom bradley

Moose wrote: Hurley almost seems like an anti SJU move.

Pitino would fit out fan base more as such a controversial choice splitting our fan base :woohoo:

nothing cures divisions like winning!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctstorm, Sju2420, ron

Pitino 8 months 4 days ago #338662

• pdcjay
  • Thank you received: 5
Should go all in for Slick Rick. We need the shot in the arm. Hell we deserve it. I’m sure he can win and play by the rules since Calipari has figured it out.

No catholic institution can pull the “holier than thou” attitude especially after Harrington and the Cecilia Chang debacles. A lot of high ranking members of the church really done give AF about the abortion issue. The abuse of minors by members of the clergy is the top of the iceberg when it comes to issues in the church.

What this move would do for our image is insane. We get bumped up on Nike hierarchy right away, get more coverage outside of just Fox Sports, and MSG sellouts just to name a few.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, jc1305us, tom bradley

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight