Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cragg and the SJU “Culture”

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 3 months 2 weeks ago #337125

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 1195

Class of 72 wrote:

L J S A wrote:

Monte wrote: In this day and age, seems to me that many kids/parents/handlers/etc don’t want to hear the straight dope, they want to hear what they want to hear. Also seems to me that Chris doesn’t have the kind of personality to pander to these kids and their cohorts. College basketball is a dirty stinking business. Maybe Chris didn’t completely realize what he was getting himself in to.

Because he's been more successful at this game than 99 percent of the kids he'll ever come across recruiting, and he was already a millionaire before ever taking up coaching, I really think that he can't be bothered sucking up to teens with overinflated opinions of themselves. I don't blame him one bit for that, but he's in the wrong business.

Shame on those that convinced him to get into a business that never interested him. Those same people used a 90 year old coach to smooth the hire. Those same people don't give Mullin the time of day any more. Shame on a university President over his head in major college athletics where he had less experience than Mullin. Shame on Oliva for the Slice contract. From reading the various sports boards now 4 years later our basketball legend has become isolated from the fan base that loved him and who now equate him with a couple of the worst hires in SJU history.

I do not think it was a "business that never interested him". I think he loves his players and loves to be so close to the game again, I just agree with LJSA that I do not think he was ever interested in breaking his back to butter kids up to come here.

In theory, getting Slice and Matt A to recruit was a good plan for him. Both of them recruiting for him for a couple of years could have proved to be successful. Slice getting HS recruits, Matt A focusing on grad transfers and sit out guys and JUCOs. It could have worked. But the Slice fallout hurt Mullin's chances of being successful. Mainly because we started to lean on Matt A's recruiting model way too much.

I would not call Mullin a disaster of a hire or anything. When we look back on this era, if it really is over, the guy inherited nothing and by year 4 we were a tournament team. If everyone that is eligible to return DID return, next year we would be even better. But college basketball is a revolving door nowadays and it is what is. I am not very high on Mullin as our coach, but time heals a lot of wounds. As time moves on, I will remember the Duke win, Nova wins, Marquette wins. I will remember how for some reason under Mullin we kicked Syracuse's ass and they stopped scheduling us. I thank him because even though he did not do a great job, he came back and wanted to turn this program around. He's been a millionaire for some time. He has a family. But he came back to Jamaica, Queens and tried to turn the program into a winner. In over his head? Absolutely. But if people view Mullin negatively after this, that is their prerogative. But I will NOT. And this coming from someone who did not even witness his days of being an SJU legend. I do not have those rose colored memories of Mullin winning games as a player. But I nonetheless appreciate his attempt to bring this program back to a level it has not been at since I have been a fan.

I know "trying" to do something does not deserve praise in most cases. But I appreciate Mullin for trying despite his obvious deficiencies
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, redmannorth, Room112, mjmaherjr, SJU85, Frank61, ctstorm, Class of 72, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 3 months 2 weeks ago #337137

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3007

Monte wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

L J S A wrote:

Monte wrote: In this day and age, seems to me that many kids/parents/handlers/etc don’t want to hear the straight dope, they want to hear what they want to hear. Also seems to me that Chris doesn’t have the kind of personality to pander to these kids and their cohorts. College basketball is a dirty stinking business. Maybe Chris didn’t completely realize what he was getting himself in to.

Because he's been more successful at this game than 99 percent of the kids he'll ever come across recruiting, and he was already a millionaire before ever taking up coaching, I really think that he can't be bothered sucking up to teens with overinflated opinions of themselves. I don't blame him one bit for that, but he's in the wrong business.

Shame on those that convinced him to get into a business that never interested him. Those same people used a 90 year old coach to smooth the hire. Those same people don't give Mullin the time of day any more. Shame on a university President over his head in major college athletics where he had less experience than Mullin. Shame on Oliva for the Slice contract. From reading the various sports boards now 4 years later our basketball legend has become isolated from the fan base that loved him and who now equate him with a couple of the worst hires in SJU history.

There is absolutely no reason in the world why the fan base that loved him before, shouldn’t continue to love him. I know that I still do.

I was referring to the various message boards, including this one, and the overwhelming negative views of his coaching and not Mully as a player. It is this current image that we who love him feared from day one.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 1 week ago #348936

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 13244
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Monte, redken, capmaker

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 1 week ago #348946

• Paultzman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, jerseyshorejohnny

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 1 week ago #348959

• Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1734

Paultzman wrote:

This is great news. I believe that Cragg is already working together with CMA to create a new culture here. Its obvious that CMA is going to be very selective in staff hiring, and will only hire assts that buy in to that vision. It may take a little longer than most of would like, especially since it may preclude CMA from going after certain kids who didn’t fit the bill, but my hope is that when all is said and done our program will be once again considered amongst the better programs in country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 1 week ago #348964

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2551
Chris Mullin The Coach is a very tough topic to address.
Chris Mullin The Player was one of the best college players and NBA players in the game...ever.
Mullin The Coach seemed in over his head, ran a poorly managed and under-manned staff and did not seem to be fully committed to the grind of the job.
It all made for very poor 'optics' for the man, the legend, and the program he and all of us love.
He achieved some great wins and it is blatantly obvious the guy bleeds red and white.
I wish Chris the very best.
He'll always be a St. John's legend in my mind.
Let's hope our program can achieve consistent success over the long haul.
I know Chris is rooting for that result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, redken

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 4 days ago #349534

• Paultzman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, mjmaherjr, bamafan

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 2 months 4 days ago #349535

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 3543
Great day for a ballgame. One of our redmen friends there right now also
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #351406

• Paultzman
One of my favorite blue collar players, Ty Grant. Cragg seems to really value recognition of past players, refreshing and long time coming!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, Logen

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #351408

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1121

Paultzman wrote: One of my favorite blue collar players, Ty Grant. Cragg seems to really value recognition of past players, refreshing and long time coming!

Could not agree more....great stuff!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Amaseinyourface

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter