Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336167

• Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1668

Paultzman wrote:

Monte wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

See my previous post about Xavier guys LOL

Was there a reunion at your house yesterday? No uniforms I hope :)

Still have my military dress blues hanging in my closet. A tad bit tight on me these days. Although not as tight as a couple of years ago lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Monte.

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336210

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2533

Monte wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

Monte wrote:

DoodyNY33 wrote: I hope you're right, Monte. But at the end of the day, I'm just very skeptical with Mullin at the helm. I'm not exactly sure how Cragg goes about having the conversation, "Listen Chris, I think you are doing a great job, but I'm letting you know your entire staff is gone. I still believe in you though..."

Plus, we can't un-see what we've seen the last few years. Not recruiting, not replacing unqualified assistants with qualified ones, taking entire summers off, not meeting with recruits when they are on campus, tying your shoe for 45 minutes while in a huddle. I'm not privy with what goes on behind the scenes, but I haven't been impressed with him or his decision making abilities. Will I root for him? Of course I will. At the end of the day, you root for the program and the jersey. Coaches and players come and go. But still need to see it before I believe it.

Doody my jury is still out on Chris as well, but my hope is that Cragg surrounds him with people that know more than him, and that he can grow in to the job and help rebuild the program. Then turn the reigns over to one of his erstwhile assts. I started a construction business nearly 30 years ago, knowing very little about the trade. The first thing I did was make sure to surround myself with people who knew more than me. IE project managers, skilled tradespeople, etc. Chris, OTOH, has been trying to learn how to be a head coach while surrounded by people who have the same head coaching experience as him: zero. There’s no one for him to turn to in crucial situations who has actually coached. And that’s ridiculous and not a formula for success. And if being a great player translated to being a great HC, then the HOF would be filled with guys who were both players and coaches. And while there may be some, there ain’t many.

Most college coaches played college ball. Being a star player doesn't make you a better coach and doesn't qualify or disqualify you to coach. Wooden , who was national player of the year, is the only man in the college HOF as player and coach.

The greatest college coaches of this generation all played. Coach K for knight at army, boeheim at Syracuse, Jay Wright at bucknell. it goes on and on

My point was that a HOF player rarely becomes a HOF coach. As you noted, it's happened one time.

Nothing qualifies or disqualifies a great player from.becoming a great coach. Larry brown was a pretty good player and very good coach. Lenny wilkens, Larry bird. Kc Jones, all very good players and good coaches. The narrative doesn't work in my opinion.

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336212

• cappy105
  • Thank you received: 129
Walk away..............
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336235

• Monte

Beast of the East wrote:

Monte wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

Monte wrote:

DoodyNY33 wrote: I hope you're right, Monte. But at the end of the day, I'm just very skeptical with Mullin at the helm. I'm not exactly sure how Cragg goes about having the conversation, "Listen Chris, I think you are doing a great job, but I'm letting you know your entire staff is gone. I still believe in you though..."

Plus, we can't un-see what we've seen the last few years. Not recruiting, not replacing unqualified assistants with qualified ones, taking entire summers off, not meeting with recruits when they are on campus, tying your shoe for 45 minutes while in a huddle. I'm not privy with what goes on behind the scenes, but I haven't been impressed with him or his decision making abilities. Will I root for him? Of course I will. At the end of the day, you root for the program and the jersey. Coaches and players come and go. But still need to see it before I believe it.

Doody my jury is still out on Chris as well, but my hope is that Cragg surrounds him with people that know more than him, and that he can grow in to the job and help rebuild the program. Then turn the reigns over to one of his erstwhile assts. I started a construction business nearly 30 years ago, knowing very little about the trade. The first thing I did was make sure to surround myself with people who knew more than me. IE project managers, skilled tradespeople, etc. Chris, OTOH, has been trying to learn how to be a head coach while surrounded by people who have the same head coaching experience as him: zero. There’s no one for him to turn to in crucial situations who has actually coached. And that’s ridiculous and not a formula for success. And if being a great player translated to being a great HC, then the HOF would be filled with guys who were both players and coaches. And while there may be some, there ain’t many.

Most college coaches played college ball. Being a star player doesn't make you a better coach and doesn't qualify or disqualify you to coach. Wooden , who was national player of the year, is the only man in the college HOF as player and coach.

The greatest college coaches of this generation all played. Coach K for knight at army, boeheim at Syracuse, Jay Wright at bucknell. it goes on and on

My point was that a HOF player rarely becomes a HOF coach. As you noted, it's happened one time.

Nothing qualifies or disqualifies a great player from.becoming a great coach. Larry brown was a pretty good player and very good coach. Lenny wilkens, Larry bird. Kc Jones, all very good players and good coaches. The narrative doesn't work in my opinion.

I’m not going to argue the point with you since it’s not an opinion, it’s a statisical fact. Of course I’m still hoping that Chris is a statistical anomaly.

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336311

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 997
Want to talk about "culture"? Do we want a respectable one? Then beg Mullin to step down. The warning signs have been there every year. No real program allows this crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, Storm Tracker, JohnnyFan, alexander salem

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336330

• we are sju
  • Thank you received: 762

Mike Zaun wrote: Want to talk about "culture"? Do we want a respectable one? Then beg Mullin to step down. The warning signs have been there every year. No real program allows this crap.

If I begged you to stop posting would you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, bacane, Moon Mullen, Room112, Beast of the East, jackfro, rawdognyc, shamsman2, Redman#13, Amaseinyourface and 2 other people also said thanks.

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336340

• kranmars
  • Thank you received: 602
I do not how Cragg changes the culture of this club.

But I want this question answered first. Why "do you want to hurt me," why do you want to make me cry?

It is "time" because time is precious, I know. But this could be the best place uet in the Big East.

To do that, SJU must drop its "karma chameleon" act. Coaches, staff, players, you come and go, but loving this program would be easy if they followed our dreams, and won frequently.

I know if things don't change, a number of us, myself included will become more apathetic. And I know you'll miss me blind.

But I get this crazy feeling that chases in my head, it's nothing that you do to me, but SJU winning big. And then "I'll tumble for ya." Heck, the entire City will tumble for you.

That's all I got.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Frank61, L J S A, Chicago Days

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336353

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 368
I have no clue who will be coaching SJU next season as either head coach or ass't. but I feel in a couple of years we will look back on when Cragg was hired as the turn around point in the men's basketball program.
I can't imagine Mullin even sitting down with any of the AD's prior to Cragg..
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336366

• Monte

Mike Zaun wrote: Want to talk about "culture"? Do we want a respectable one? Then beg Mullin to step down. The warning signs have been there every year. No real program allows this crap.

I'll said it before and I'll say it again, I have my doubts about CM as a head coach. Having said that, had Owens stuck around we likely would have won 25+ games and probably done some damage in both the Big East and NCAA tourneys. Then Chris would have looked like a very good head coach and no one would be talking about his being fired. On a basketball team, one good player(not great) can make the difference between a successful season and a mediocre season. And can make the difference in how a coach is viewed. Case in point: David Cain. You and others have decided that Chris is never going to succeed here, and you're most certainly entitled to your opinion. It is my opinion, and that of many others on this board, that Chris deserves some more time provided he's willing to work with the AD to make some adjustments to the staff. That seems to be exactly what is happening right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, bacane, redmannorth, IDRAFT, Frank61, Amaseinyourface, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Cragg and the SJU “Culture” 1 month 2 weeks ago #336382

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2533

Monte wrote:

I'll said it before and I'll say it again, I have my doubts about CM as a head coach. Having said that, had Owens stuck around we likely would have won 25+ games and probably done some damage in both the Big East and NCAA tourneys. Then Chris would have looked like a very good head coach and no one would be talking about his being fired. On a basketball team, one good player(not great) can make the difference between a successful season and a mediocre season. And can make the difference in how a coach is viewed. Case in point: David Cain. You and others have decided that Chris is never going to succeed here, and you're most certainly entitled to your opinion. It is my opinion, and that of many others on this board, that Chris deserves some more time provided he's willing to work with the AD to make some adjustments to the staff. That seems to be exactly what is happening right now.

I'm not so sure that Cragg is really here to change the culture per se. He appears to be really happy with what he has experienced so far. After Monasch and Goff, with Oliva running the show temporarily, Cragg has only a clue as to how things were before, and it's clear he brings strong leadership to the position. By itself THAT has changed the culture. That being said, he has already begun to strategize what he'd like to do with facilities, his interest in engaging our fans (as indicated by his many emails and willingness to respond to anyone via email), and build a strong athletic program.

I think many of us are misinterpreting how heavy handed an AD can be with the head basketball coach. I would think, Cragg who appears to me to be professional and every way, is not going to sit down and tell Chris Mullin how to coach a team or tell him to change staff. I think appropriately that he thinks of Chris as a strong ally, and he is there to support basketball, not run it. If he thinks the HC position isn't working out, he is also smart enough to know that he cannot act with the complete buy in of Gempeshaw and key member of the board.

This season has ended miserably, and I think the team could have played a lot better even considering the lack of height and depth. On the plus side we made our 3rd tournament in nine seasons, and there are a lot of sometimes formidable programs who have not done as well. As we watch NCAA games, so many teams represented themselves well in losses. In our 3 tourney games, SJU did not.

My opinion is that Mullin will be back for a 5th season, and must recruit a solid roster that goes 8 deep minimally and is balanced with talent on the front line and backcourt. If that happens for 20-21, he will be back for a 6th season also. After that, who knows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctstorm

Last edit: by Beast of the East.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter