Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (BET @MSG-Game-2) Marquette, Thur. Mar. 14, 7pm, FS1 / 970AM

(BET @MSG-Game-2) Marquette, Thur. Mar. 14, 7pm, FS1 / 970AM 6 months 1 week ago #330942

• Section3
  • Thank you received: 363

Mike Zaun wrote: The thing that's so infuriating is when Marquette starts warming up and gets back to back baskets and we badly need an answer, we always seem to force a stupid 3 early in the shot clock and it's a brick 99% of the time. They get the rebound and make a huge 3 in transition or an easy layup and suddenly they're on a run. Clark doesn't seem to know when he doesn't have his shot going. When you're hot, you're hot. But when you're ice cold like he's been you need to realize that and pass it and do what's best for the team. Though I'm pissed we got manhandled, we would've lost even with our best game IMO. I saw the first half on the gamecast play by play on my ESPN app since I was driving and it seemed every 3 seconds I saw "_______ makes a 3 pointer", "________ makes a 3 pointer", "_________ makes a 3 pointer". I thought it was buggy but then I realized Marquette just couldn't miss.

By the way, how does a coach not say "no 3's" when you're up 30+ points in final 3 minutes? I get some guys want to get shots who may not normally...but it reminds me of the Pats throwing a deep ball trying for a TD up 40 points with 3 minutes left in the 4th. If I was a player I'd get chippy over that. Brings Fordham to mind.

Not true the we would have lost with our best game. MQ was not super last night. We were that bad. If we played our best, we win again. But, we didn’t and we compounded it with a lot of bad decision making and lackadaisical play. It’s history now. So, onward we go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(BET @MSG-Game-2) Marquette, Thur. Mar. 14, 7pm, FS1 / 970AM 6 months 1 week ago #330944

• Section3

Monte wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: The thing that's so infuriating is when Marquette starts warming up and gets back to back baskets and we badly need an answer, we always seem to force a stupid 3 early in the shot clock and it's a brick 99% of the time. They get the rebound and make a huge 3 in transition or an easy layup and suddenly they're on a run. Clark doesn't seem to know when he doesn't have his shot going. When you're hot, you're hot. But when you're ice cold like he's been you need to realize that and pass it and do what's best for the team. Though I'm pissed we got manhandled, we would've lost even with our best game IMO. I saw the first half on the gamecast play by play on my ESPN app since I was driving and it seemed every 3 seconds I saw "_______ makes a 3 pointer", "________ makes a 3 pointer", "_________ makes a 3 pointer". I thought it was buggy but then I realized Marquette just couldn't miss.

By the way, how does a coach not say "no 3's" when you're up 30+ points in final 3 minutes? I get some guys want to get shots who may not normally...but it reminds me of the Pats throwing a deep ball trying for a TD up 40 points with 3 minutes left in the 4th. If I was a player I'd get chippy over that. Brings Fordham to mind.

I have no problem with a shooter continuing to shoot when he's cold, what I have a problem with is the shot selection by Clark and others when they're cold. Clark didn't look set on most of his shots last night. You can be open, but not set. Taking those shots is rarely going to get you out of a slump. And that's a team wide problem. As soon as we go cold, we start taking bad shots. Which results in our downward spiral. I would have hoped by now we would have worked through this issue, but as I've said before, I have not seen growth all year from this team. Not even in one aspect of their game.

A “Thank You” wasn’t enough. 1000% correct.

(BET @MSG-Game-2) Marquette, Thur. Mar. 14, 7pm, FS1 / 970AM 6 months 1 week ago #330947

• Section3

MJDinkins wrote:

Monte wrote: I have no problem with a shooter continuing to shoot when he's cold, what I have a problem with is the shot selection by Clark and others when they're cold. Clark didn't look set on most of his shots last night. You can be open, but not set. Taking those shots is rarely going to get you out of a slump. And that's a team wide problem. As soon as we go cold, we start taking bad shots. Which results in our downward spiral. I would have hoped by now we would have worked through this issue, but as I've said before, I have not seen growth all year from this team. Not even in one aspect of their game.

I always thought those shots were encouraged. I said as much during this coaching regime first season. Different players, same routine.

As I’ve said before the green light needs to have shades of green. Not everyone should feel empowered to hoist long range shots just because they’re open.

(BET @MSG-Game-2) Marquette, Thur. Mar. 14, 7pm, FS1 / 970AM 6 months 1 week ago #330952

• Section3
For those who weren’t at MSG last night...One Great takeaway from last night (how could there be any)...

Couldn’t believe the energy and noise in the place when SJ cut it to 6 early in 2nd half. Most, if not all, of the garden stood...don’t know whether the crowd was a pro-SJ or anti-MQ but it showed the possibilities...

Won’t comment any further on what happened after this seminal moment :(

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight