Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ponds Plans

Ponds Plans 1 week 6 days ago #329877

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 370
Ponds has had some form of nagging injury for most of the Year , whether it be Hip or Wrist . He has not been as quick going to the hoop and has not converted as many lay ups as he did so easily last year . This is just my opinion . Which is why his stats are down . A Healthy Ponds is BE POY by a fair margin but , he hasn’t been healthy . Many may feel differently and that’s ok .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ponds Plans 1 week 5 days ago #330218

• ZanMan
  • Thank you received: 22
I agree with SlyFoxx on his observations.

Also, I just don't see him having a career in the NBA, like many others on here. Taking nothing away from him, as I love his game and feel lucky that we have him. He has been a joy to watch.

But he is a great college player. See other 6' 1" "greats" that we had in the past 20 years and their success in The League. Barkley, Thornton,and Cook come to mind. Perhaps Shamorie has been better than those kids, but he will have a lot of difficulty making a career in the NBA, just like those kids did. And today's players are even bigger, faster and stronger than ever.

I do hope he proves me wrong!

Ponds Plans 1 week 5 days ago #330281

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 984

ZanMan wrote: I agree with SlyFoxx on his observations.

Also, I just don't see him having a career in the NBA, like many others on here. Taking nothing away from him, as I love his game and feel lucky that we have him. He has been a joy to watch.

But he is a great college player. See other 6' 1" "greats" that we had in the past 20 years and their success in The League. Barkley, Thornton,and Cook come to mind. Perhaps Shamorie has been better than those kids, but he will have a lot of difficulty making a career in the NBA, just like those kids did. And today's players are even bigger, faster and stronger than ever.

Bootsy was about 6’4” I believe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Frank61

Ponds Plans 1 week 4 days ago #330658

• Ilzion
  • Thank you received: 3
He will not get drafted!

Ponds Plans 1 week 4 days ago #330660

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 1397
I fully expect Ponds to leave and wish him well. He has been a good player for us and, now, I have started to reflect on his three year career.

Shamorie was an impact player from the moment he stepped on campus. That said, as soon as the NBA talk started, his growth seemed to level off. I feel like players who maintain focus on their collegian careers and let the NBA chips fall where they may, often do better. Myles Powell, who may now draw more NBA interest than Ponds, is a good example of this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, AlBovino, Frank61, bamafan, Tommy O 54

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Ponds Plans 1 week 4 days ago #330661

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 698

Monte wrote:

ZanMan wrote: I agree with SlyFoxx on his observations.

Bootsy was about 6’4” I believe.

Yeah, he was taller. Hatten would have been a better example, along with the other two guys.

Omar Cook leaving after his freshman year has to be one of the dumbest decisions anyone on this team has ever made. His passing and defensive skills were top-notch. The only thing he didn't do well was shoot, and I thought, if he stayed, he could have gotten that to an acceptable level. The only question I would have had was: could he coexist with Hatten? Both were ball dominant guards, so that might have been a problem.

Barkley left too early also, but the NCAA pretty much forced his hand on that one. Can't get on him for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Ponds Plans 1 week 12 hours ago #332063

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 1155
From the Athletic piece on him and Pascall

theathletic.com/874220/2019/03/18/nba-dr...s/?source=dailyemail

Shamorie Ponds, 6-1, 175 pounds, junior:

Strengths:

Ponds has an ability to get to the rim off the dribble and is a better playmaker for others than given credit. Ponds’ teammates left several assists on the table by missing open jumpers off his penetration. Despite his 6-foot-1 size, Ponds isn’t afraid to mix it up inside and uses a floater inside the paint area. He routinely got defenders off their feet with a pump fake before attacking the defense.

On defense, Ponds has shown an ability to pick his defender’s pocket and poke the ball away on traps averaging 2.3 steals over his collegiate career.

Weaknesses:

At the pro level, Ponds will have a tough time defending players at the league’s premier position due to his lack of size and weight. While Ponds is a point guard by size, he is considered a scoring guard.

NBA talent evaluators weigh in:

NBA executive No. 1: Exciting and explosive scorer who shows an NBA game that will translate. I’m a huge fan of his game. He’s crafty. He’s a first-round late pick for me in a weak draft.

NBA executive No. 2: Ponds could be a better NBA player because of spacing and better players around him. His 3-point shooting has gotten better but needs to get much better. He needs to improve his defense and play harder and less cool. Draft range: Late first to mid second round.

NBA scout No. 1: I think he goes pro. He’s done as much as you can at St John’s at this point. He’s inefficient and has a lot of freedom. Defensively, I think it’ll be tough. Maybe he gets drafted in the 50s as a wiry scorer like Ish Smith. I’m not sold on him. A good comparison I’ve heard is Brandon Jennings.

NBA scout No. 2: He has a lot of the same risks as Allonzo Trier did, but Ponds has a worse body (smaller), is not as athletic and is even worse on defense. Both are seen as score first players, on-ball scorers, with questionable shot selections. Both are more street ball than winning players. I think he’s a mid-second to a two-way player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Paultzman, AlBovino, IDRAFT, JohnnyFan

Ponds Plans 1 week 11 hours ago #332067

• SI1996
  • Thank you received: 184
www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/2629...op-tourney-prospects

Latest mock draft from ESPN has Ponds going @ #46.

They have Luguentz Dort from ASU going @ #29.

Ponds Plans 1 week 11 hours ago #332073

• Muse
  • Thank you received: 9
Ponds would have been a higher draft choice had he had the opportunity to have a good big man teamate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, Frank61

Ponds Plans 1 week 11 hours ago #332074

• SJU14
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 159

Moose wrote: From the Athletic piece on him and Pascall

theathletic.com/874220/2019/03/18/nba-dr...s/?source=dailyemail

Shamorie Ponds, 6-1, 175 pounds, junior:

Strengths:

Ponds has an ability to get to the rim off the dribble and is a better playmaker for others than given credit. Ponds’ teammates left several assists on the table by missing open jumpers off his penetration. Despite his 6-foot-1 size, Ponds isn’t afraid to mix it up inside and uses a floater inside the paint area. He routinely got defenders off their feet with a pump fake before attacking the defense.

On defense, Ponds has shown an ability to pick his defender’s pocket and poke the ball away on traps averaging 2.3 steals over his collegiate career.

Weaknesses:

At the pro level, Ponds will have a tough time defending players at the league’s premier position due to his lack of size and weight. While Ponds is a point guard by size, he is considered a scoring guard.

NBA talent evaluators weigh in:

NBA executive No. 1: Exciting and explosive scorer who shows an NBA game that will translate. I’m a huge fan of his game. He’s crafty. He’s a first-round late pick for me in a weak draft.

NBA executive No. 2: Ponds could be a better NBA player because of spacing and better players around him. His 3-point shooting has gotten better but needs to get much better. He needs to improve his defense and play harder and less cool. Draft range: Late first to mid second round.

NBA scout No. 1: I think he goes pro. He’s done as much as you can at St John’s at this point. He’s inefficient and has a lot of freedom. Defensively, I think it’ll be tough. Maybe he gets drafted in the 50s as a wiry scorer like Ish Smith. I’m not sold on him. A good comparison I’ve heard is Brandon Jennings.

NBA scout No. 2: He has a lot of the same risks as Allonzo Trier did, but Ponds has a worse body (smaller), is not as athletic and is even worse on defense. Both are seen as score first players, on-ball scorers, with questionable shot selections. Both are more street ball than winning players. I think he’s a mid-second to a two-way player.

I’m actually surprised by some of these, in a good way.

The most telling one is “He’s done as much as you can at St John’s at this point”. Couldn’t agree more with that statement. He’s not gonna grow taller or gain much more weight at this point and that’s what NBA teams seem to be worried about most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muse

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter