Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Stretch Run

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322038

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 13638
Zach B
“Energy and passion ... you hope it’s there every night, and obviously it’s not with us. I’m not quite sure how you coach that."
This quote from Chris Mullin on St. John's inconsistency would concern me if I'm a St. John's fan or administrator. That's part of the job. #sjubb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322052

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 1195
I swear Mullin is trolling the fans on this board. He says things that make him sound clueless and it is almost as if he does it on purpose. He has been around the game his whole life and has had a mic in his face for decades, he knows how to answer questions and play the media game correctly. But yet, he says pretty questionable things sometimes.

9/10 times the coach always just gives the cookie cutter "my guys werent ready to play tonight and that is on me to get them ready" answer. Mullin takes the questionable route of deflecting blame.

Not trying to pile on Mullin cause I know he has been taking a lot of heat. But as someone studying journalism it is interesting to me he didn't just play along with the media and give the common answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Delaware, Class of 72, Enright, NCJohnnie

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322081

• Johnny4Life
  • Thank you received: 29
Five is the magic number.

Get at least 5 more wins before the tournament and they have a good shot of making it (provided they win at least one game in the tournament).

Anything less than that and the chances diminish greatly unless they make a good run in the BE tournament (i.e get to the Championship).

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322086

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 3618

Paultzman wrote: Zach B
“Energy and passion ... you hope it’s there every night, and obviously it’s not with us. I’m not quite sure how you coach that."
This quote from Chris Mullin on St. John's inconsistency would concern me if I'm a St. John's fan or administrator. That's part of the job. #sjubb

nothing surprises me anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, Tonyinfairfield , NCJohnnie

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322092

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 13638
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyinfairfield

Last edit: by Paultzman.

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322093

• otis
  • Thank you received: 936
no way to spin that our beloved St.John's men's basketball team is 5 wins and 7 losses over the last 12 games.

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322094

• austour
  • Thank you received: 798
True, however going into the road trip I thought they needed to go 7-3 over the last 10 in conference and they are 2-1 so far, which is where I thought they would be. Didn't think the loss was going to be at home to Providence of course. So now the target is still 5-2 over the last 7. Gonna try and stay positive.

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322112

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1115
One game at a time.

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322123

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3021

Jack Williams wrote: I swear Mullin is trolling the fans on this board. He says things that make him sound clueless and it is almost as if he does it on purpose. He has been around the game his whole life and has had a mic in his face for decades, he knows how to answer questions and play the media game correctly. But yet, he says pretty questionable things sometimes.

9/10 times the coach always just gives the cookie cutter "my guys werent ready to play tonight and that is on me to get them ready" answer. Mullin takes the questionable route of deflecting blame.

Not trying to pile on Mullin cause I know he has been taking a lot of heat. But as someone studying journalism it is interesting to me he didn't just play along with the media and give the common answer.

Jack,
We didn't hire a PR savvy coach no matter how many years he played the game.
In fact, we didn't even hire a basketball coach.  Chris never coached a day in his life. Neither did Mitch Richmond or Greg St. Jean.  This was an experiment so far fetched only St. John's would gamble it's Big East competitiveness on such a staff.

Chris has never been a good communicator and is more comfortable with jock speak.  All you will get is the bare basics.  The issue at hand is how well has he been communicating with the players, both as a team and individually.  Some feedback on that has been mixed.

The other issue is being able to communicate strategy, motivation and teaching moments in practices.  It's not that important during the game but it is critical in the days leading up to the game.  The question becomes has Mullin been a good teacher. There the results are as mixed as his befuddling comments.  A teacher is not born into the job but learns from other teachers and does student teaching.
Mullin's student teaching has been on the job.  He never apprenticed as an assistant and relies heavily on GSJ who has less basketball acumen than Mullin.

So, when Mullin says that he doesn't know how to explain what is wrong with his team he is actually being very forthright.  Hopefully the Slice position gets filled this Spring as soon as Richmond flies off to Los Angeles.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, gonzalo, RedStormRising, Delaware

The Stretch Run 6 months 1 week ago #322127

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 1758
I'm just praying that The Stretch Run doesn't turn in to The Stench Run. Lets get back on track tonight!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Class of 72

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter