Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Stretch Run

The Stretch Run 6 days 8 hours ago #321821

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 1131
Teams had comparable talent and both rosters were structurally flawed. Neither coach known for tactical savvy or strong work ethic.

I think the 2014-15 team may have had more fortitude. We'll see. Hope the current guys can match the conference record.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

The Stretch Run 6 days 8 hours ago #321822

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 2269
JohnnyFan wrote: I think the 2014-15 team may have had more fortitude. We'll see. Hope the current guys can match the conference record.

Maybe if you discount Obekpa. Wasn't crazy about Jordan either. Agree that Pointer, Harrison, Green & Branch were tough minded kids.

The Stretch Run 6 days 7 hours ago #321824

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 259
Overall I find this a more fun bunch to root for, Obepka and Jordan displayed a lot of negative baggage. I think the teams have similar talent levels. We know where that team ended up, this one is still writing their story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

The Stretch Run 6 days 5 hours ago #321843

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 546

IDRAFT wrote: Overall I find this a more fun bunch to root for, Obepka and Jordan displayed a lot of negative baggage. I think the teams have similar talent levels. We know where that team ended up, this one is still writing their story.

Obekpa and Jordan were frustrating with their off-court antics, but they were much closer to being a true center and a true point guard, respectively, then anybody we have on the team as presently constructed.

I don't mind postionless/interchangeable players at the 2, 3, and 4 spots, but a true PG and a true C can go a long way towards making your team a successful one.

The Stretch Run 6 days 5 hours ago #321844

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1645

JohnnyFan wrote: I have been thinking about this comparison.

2014-2015 (21-12; 10-8; at large NCAA bid)
D’Angelo Harrison
Sir’Dominc Pointer
Phil Greene IV
Rysheed Jordan
Chris Obekpa
Jamal Branch
Christian Jones
Amar Alibegovic
Felix Balamou
Khadim Ndiaye
Joey DelaRosa

2018-2019 (???)
Shamorie Ponds
Mustapha Heron
Justin Simon
Marvin Clarke II
LJ Figueroa
Bryan Trimble
Sedee Keita
Greg Williams
Josh Roberts
Marcellus Earlington
Mikey Dixon

If Mustapha is healthy,I think this team’s starting 5 better, but D-Lo, Sir Dom, and Phil Green. IV. were warriors and among my all-time favorite Johnnies.
That said, I hope—with little confidence—this group can regroup and resemble a team that shows some consistency and grit down the stretch and not mail it in.
The jury is out.

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

The Stretch Run 6 days 5 hours ago #321845

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 164

SJU61982 wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: Overall I find this a more fun bunch to root for, Obepka and Jordan displayed a lot of negative baggage. I think the teams have similar talent levels. We know where that team ended up, this one is still writing their story.

Obekpa and Jordan were frustrating with their off-court antics, but they were much closer to being a true center and a true point guard, respectively, then anybody we have on the team as presently constructed.

I don't mind postionless/interchangeable players at the 2, 3, and 4 spots, but a true PG and a true C can go a long way towards making your team a successful one.

Maybe Jordan was the better nba prospect at one time, but Ponds is far and away the superior college pg.

The Stretch Run 6 days 5 hours ago #321846

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 2269
Boo Harvey wrote: Maybe Jordan was the better nba prospect at one time, but Ponds is far and away the superior college pg.

Jordan had as much or more talent as anyone on our current team, but was just so undependable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

The Stretch Run 6 days 4 hours ago #321855

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 546

Boo Harvey wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

Maybe Jordan was the better nba prospect at one time, but Ponds is far and away the superior college pg.

Ponds is the better college player, but I seem him as more of a hybrid 1/2. A point guard by size, but a 2 guard by style.

Even though he's improved his point guard skills this year, he's still better at creating for himself, then he is at creating for others. He's not Allen Iverson on defense, so I think that handicap is what ultimately will keep him out of the NBA.

The Stretch Run 5 days 6 hours ago #321960

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2440

NCJohnnie wrote: Boo Harvey wrote: Maybe Jordan was the better nba prospect at one time, but Ponds is far and away the superior college pg.

Jordan had as much or more talent as anyone on our current team, but was just so undependable.

If Rysheed Jordan had anything between the ears he could have been one of St. John's greats. NBA size and talent.
Shamorie Ponds is a great college basketball player. After 3 years I think we all see he would struggle with bigger NBA guards. Unfortunately he dropped some notches this season and Marcus Howard likely will steal his POY unless Slick gets his head straight.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

The Stretch Run 4 days 14 hours ago #322024

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 610

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com.

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul