Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Heron

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #321986

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7845
  • Thank you received: 3020

Mike wrote: I could be wrong here, but do people think that the staff is in the wrong for not announcing his injury days before or couple of hours before the game? I have complaints about the staff but being angry for not publicly announcing an injury so fans can prepare themselves is just ridiculous.


I agree with you. Now all you have to do is convince the Vegas oddsmakers.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #321988

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 750

Mike Zaun wrote: Mike Stephens refs our game, Heron gets a huge dunk at last second to win by 1...but wait a tech is called by Stephens for hanging on the rim for .0001 seconds! Butler gets FT's and the ball to win. Mullins Maniacs proceed to leg drop Stephens in our Hulk Hogan costumes and Mullin looks over in horror. The picture is an hour later at a precinct in Queens with me held by NYPD officers for observation. I get placed in a holding cell as I hear cops laughing telling their friends the story. I turn to look the other way and see a creepy guy with clown face paint. It's Fun...


I like the use of the Hogan leg drop. No one I can remember ever kicked out of the leg drop, except maybe Goldberg. Putting Fun at the end of the story was a nice touch, too. I guess he is banned, or he would probably respond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #321989

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5212
  • Thank you received: 1757
As long as the school doesn't give a damn about rampant speculation, then they can do whatever they want with injury info. That's assuming, of course, that it is actually an injury. See how this works?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #321992

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1870
  • Thank you received: 1063
Usually you hear these things immediately. I was at the Garden for the game and I read anything and everything about SJ including rumors. I had no idea and neither did any other fans I interacted with. I understand that you can bang a knee, it's fine but then it swells up overnight. If he could barely walk as many said on here, then that sounds like a lot more than banging your knee and having some swelling IMO. Hearing "dude you're a jerk he couldn't even walk" and then "it's just a bruise" is obviously confusing. One sounds severe and the other doesn't. Hope he plays well and has it wrapped really good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322002

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2693
  • Thank you received: 483

Adam wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

Adam wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up, but I was annoyed even before the game started that Heron's injury wasn't disclosed prior. The reason being is it gave us all the "here we go again" demotivating feeling right as we were getting into our seats. It also probably energized Providence... talk about a nice last second surprise.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, and I can only speak for myself as a fan. Had I known a day or two prior that he was questionable, I would've been pissed off for a few hours then gotten over it before the game started. Instead, I was just sitting there watching the line drop in real time. Because of the way the news was delivered, I was pissed right from the start.

Anyways... hope Heron is back tomorrow. Just don't like how this was handled.


And you wouldn't have had that "here we go again" demotivating feeling if it had been announced Thursday or Friday? If I was a betting man (and I'm not), I think must would and this thread and the "here we go again" feeling would have just happened days before and still carried right into the game.

He got dressed and tried it prior to the "official" warm-ups and it was no good. Then the news came out so it was basically a game time decision. Let's move on.


Yes I would've had that same feeling, but a day before rather than minutes before. Most humans respond the same way after hearing bad news. Their first response is denial/anger/defeat and then gradually they get over it and accept it with a sense of optimism for the future. It was a gut punch literally minutes before the game started, and rather than thinking "hey, we're favored by 5 points so we should still win" my thought was "boo, the line keeps dropping". It's all psychology, but a lot of the game is mental and all humans take time to get over news. Of course, had we won none of this would matter but we didn't.

Again, just my personal thought but I think it was a bad decision by the staff. I hope in the future they learn from it, because obviously it didn't help anybody on our side and arguably gave Providence some last minute momentum.


On the scale of bad news, this doesn’t even register on the meter, I mean yes your number two scorer is not playing today is disappointing but...

Lines mean nothing unless you’re betting. As far as knowing earlier, knowing what exactly? That he is battling tendinitis or a bruised knee and he is day to day? Would that had stopped you from going to the game or watching it? Would it make you cheer or support the team differently? Would it have made your preparation for the game differently?

What is it the staff and the medical team supposed to have learned exactly?
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322003

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2693
  • Thank you received: 483

Mike Zaun wrote: It was definitely confusing and not handled professionally. So was it a bruise or tendinitis? They are totally different. Bruises can swell obviously, but usually are fine after some ice and a good knee wrap. Tendinitis is something that according to WebMD takes weeks to recover from. It's not that anyone's calling Heron a wuss, it's that the admin isn't being up front with the fans about this and it loses trust. A lot of it just didn't make much sense.

Either way, let's hope he's ok and that he plays tomorrow.


So you can’t have tendinitis and bruise your knee? I didn’t realize they were mutually exclusive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322005

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1870
  • Thank you received: 1063

SJU85 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: It was definitely confusing and not handled professionally. So was it a bruise or tendinitis? They are totally different. Bruises can swell obviously, but usually are fine after some ice and a good knee wrap. Tendinitis is something that according to WebMD takes weeks to recover from. It's not that anyone's calling Heron a wuss, it's that the admin isn't being up front with the fans about this and it loses trust. A lot of it just didn't make much sense.

Either way, let's hope he's ok and that he plays tomorrow.


So you can’t have tendinitis and bruise your knee? I didn’t realize they were mutually exclusive.


They didn't frame it that way. They said "he has a bruise on his knee". Then they said "it's tendinitis". Are those not different? Yes you can have both, but it seems the diagnosis switched. Yes you can have both, but if that's the case say, "He has been battling tendinitis and recently aggravated it after bruising his knee vs. Marquette. Initially it was fine but it swelled up significantly and he's being cautious". I know it feels like nitpicking to people, but those are different things. If a pitcher has an elbow bruise, who cares? If he has tendinitis, that's very different. One is typically chronic (tendinitis) and lasts way longer and the other is usually acute (bruising) and won't prevent you from much. They have to realize that after the LoVett situation (he was fine he just quit), the Keita situation (he was day to day then needed surgery and was out 6 or 7 weeks), and the Mets (many SJ fans are also Mets fans), fans will be skeptical if it's not clear and accurate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322008

  • Adam
  • Adam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2077
  • Thank you received: 1019

SJU85 wrote:

Adam wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

Adam wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up, but I was annoyed even before the game started that Heron's injury wasn't disclosed prior. The reason being is it gave us all the "here we go again" demotivating feeling right as we were getting into our seats. It also probably energized Providence... talk about a nice last second surprise.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, and I can only speak for myself as a fan. Had I known a day or two prior that he was questionable, I would've been pissed off for a few hours then gotten over it before the game started. Instead, I was just sitting there watching the line drop in real time. Because of the way the news was delivered, I was pissed right from the start.

Anyways... hope Heron is back tomorrow. Just don't like how this was handled.


And you wouldn't have had that "here we go again" demotivating feeling if it had been announced Thursday or Friday? If I was a betting man (and I'm not), I think must would and this thread and the "here we go again" feeling would have just happened days before and still carried right into the game.

He got dressed and tried it prior to the "official" warm-ups and it was no good. Then the news came out so it was basically a game time decision. Let's move on.


Yes I would've had that same feeling, but a day before rather than minutes before. Most humans respond the same way after hearing bad news. Their first response is denial/anger/defeat and then gradually they get over it and accept it with a sense of optimism for the future. It was a gut punch literally minutes before the game started, and rather than thinking "hey, we're favored by 5 points so we should still win" my thought was "boo, the line keeps dropping". It's all psychology, but a lot of the game is mental and all humans take time to get over news. Of course, had we won none of this would matter but we didn't.

Again, just my personal thought but I think it was a bad decision by the staff. I hope in the future they learn from it, because obviously it didn't help anybody on our side and arguably gave Providence some last minute momentum.


On the scale of bad news, this doesn’t even register on the meter, I mean yes your number two scorer is not playing today is disappointing but...

Lines mean nothing unless you’re betting. As far as knowing earlier, knowing what exactly? That he is battling tendinitis or a bruised knee and he is day to day? Would that had stopped you from going to the game or watching it? Would it make you cheer or support the team differently? Would it have made your preparation for the game differently?

What is it the staff and the medical team supposed to have learned exactly?


Not bad news? We looked awful and lost by 14. The only news worse would've been Ponds being out or an extended injury. Obviously I am talking about bad news in relation to the game, not actual bad news outside of sports.

Lines do mean something... they are our odds on winning and they kept going down. I mean that more in a figurative momentum shifting way. It was a gut punch last second momentum killer for us and helper for Providence.

I still would have went no matter what, but others may not have knowing how we've played without our full team. It just felt like a scummy move by the staff, almost as if they wanted the maximum attendance so they hid this from everyone until minutes before the game. Perhaps their intention was to throw Providence off last minute, but that didn't work and if anything it gave them momentum at the worst time possible.

Anyways, think whatever you want but the results speak for themselves. I'm not saying hiding his injury until the last second was definitely why we lost, but at best it certainly didn't help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Adam.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322010

  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5287
  • Thank you received: 824
I don’t think St. John’s hid the injury to increase crowd size. I do know the Mets will often wait to the last minute to make an announcement if for example they have to replace Syndegaard with Chris Flexen and it’s a home game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Andrew.

Heron 6 months 1 week ago #322011

  • Adam
  • Adam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2077
  • Thank you received: 1019

Andrew wrote: I don’t think St. John’s hid the injury to increase crowd size. I do know the Mets will often wait to the last minute to make an announcement if for example have to replace Syndegaard with Chris Flexen and it’s a home game.


To be honest you're probably correct on their intentions, but I still don't think it was a good move which is why it's very rare to see in college basketball. I feel they should've disclosed prior that Heron was questionable. Basketball is a game of momentum and I can just imagine how much last second juice Providence got from that announcement. Rebounding for example is in large part an effort stat. Providence killed us on the boards, and that was the difference in the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter