Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321453

• alexander salem
  • Thank you received: 153

MJDinkins wrote: To alexander salem.... It doesn't matter if we scored two points in the second half. We should've pressed right after that made basket. That should've been our game plan going into the second half.

It's hard to implement our press without Heron and LJ. Both of them are two of the quickest guys on the team laterally. If coaching were so simple we'd all be making seven figures doing it. Sometimes we just don't have the players, it's not the staffs fault Keita had zero boards. Our half court offense is abysmal. If we're not forcing TO's and getting fast break points we simply can not control the tempo or apply a successful press, especially without 2 of our "positionless" guys mentioned earlier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by alexander salem.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321454

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 362
This season is a totally missed opportunity. We had a couple of good crowds at the Garden because of OUR team. Not because Duke or whomever was there. So what happens? Team looks dull, lifeless and out of its league against two very beatable opponents. That is why this stings even more.

Please no more excuses about missing players. This is about poor, inexcusable effort by everyone involved and I sure can't explain it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkRedman, Mike Zaun

Last edit: by sjc88.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321455

• Phil G
  • Thank you received: 24
Wow just an uninspiring game
Crowd never in it

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321456

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 95

Paultzman wrote: Roberts fronted well. blocked some shots & had five rebounds v a very physical group. A few times he also came up with a re Lund ir loose ball and did not panic, finding a guard to pass too.

Not Karl Malone, but worth investing in. At very least it will keep him interested getting some minutes. One game, but imo his upside seems solid. I think Keita comments above just about covered his deficits.

And if next game Roberts gets more minutes and plays terrible the comments on this board will be something along the lines of: "Roberts is just a terrible player", "Roberts definitely not a BE caliber player", "Where is Keita, he at least gives us some offense"

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321457

• pobee10
  • Thank you received: 12
Precious would be a dope to come play for this staff.

Outside of ponds, some serious regression going on.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321458

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 399

Eric Williamson wrote:

Porgyman wrote: This team played like it has never seen a zone defense on offense, and like a fifth grade girls team rebounding the ball on defense.
Ill prepared. Ill motivated.
In another post, I mentioned that Mullin needs to go Bobby Knight on this team. Open up the gym at 2 am tomorrow morning. Run them to death. If they don’t want to expend effort during the game, maybe they will at practice.
And while we’re at it, the AD can gather Mullin and the staff in an office and explain how this lack of effort will not be tolerated!

Under no circumstance should the AD EVER intervene with the coach in regards to effort, coaching strategy, etc.....

. Agree! Time enough after season to evaluate this year’s results .

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321460

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 1361

alexander salem wrote:

MJDinkins wrote: To alexander salem.... It doesn't matter if we scored two points in the second half. We should've pressed right after that made basket. That should've been our game plan going into the second half.

It's hard to implement our press without Heron and LJ. Both of them are two of the quickest guys on the team Laterally. If coaching were so simple we'd all be making seven figures doing it. Sometime we just don't have the players, it's not the staffs fault Keita had zero boards. Our half court offense is abysmal. If we're not forcing TO's and getting fast break points we simply can not control the tempo or apply a successful press, especially without 2 of our "positionless" guys in Heron and LJ.

There's more than one type of press you can toss out. You can go full-court or half-court. You can even throw out light pressure. Regardless, we should've been pressuring the basketball to speed up Providence. You could basically see the entire first half the Friars were having issues with our team speed.

Providence was clearly dictating tempo, and we should've attempted to make an adjustment to the Friars taking the air out of the ball and running their offense. They were getting quite comfortable running their stuff for a good portion of the second half. That can't be allowed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, Delaware, alexander salem

Last edit: by MJDinkins.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321461

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 963
Jack called it...huge letdown after looking like we turned corner again. This is why we need to stop talking about making runs...we can’t. We fight for our lives just to get to .500 and can’t stay there. Heron thing is shady and bruises aren’t reason not to play. Clark has been awful and the refs hate Mullin so we never get home cooking. Maddening team to watch.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #321462

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 736
I am more disappointed with this game then the DePaul game. In fact I am outright ticked off. When my son got a tweet that Heron wasn’t playing I had a bad feeling but I was “hoping” we could step it up at the Garden in front of a big red crowd. I can’t even sort out what went wrong because at this moment it all seems bad. It is extremely difficult being a fan of this team. The inconsistency is maddening and that is the sign of a mediocre team with player and coaching deficiencies. I don’t expect Heron to play against Butler so unless the good St. John’s shows up this could be a season ending homestand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, RedStormRising, Delaware, sjc88, NCJohnnie

Thoroughly disappointed today 2 months 2 weeks ago #321463

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 399
Sadly , the Team had NO Urgency all game .. There is no Team Leader on the Court . Providence did what every one does and overplayed Ponds . A perfect opportunity for Simon to shine again like Tuesday and Clark to emerge from his 2 week funk . Neither showed up , scoring 10 points collectively and Simon reverting to his Pre Marquette doldrums . Missing that monstrous Dunk by Justin in the first half started the down slide . We never recovered any intensity after that .

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter