Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 12 hours ago #321916

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 711

Mike Zaun wrote:

Marillac wrote: Every time we lose Mullin is a bad choice? The responses are just childish.

This is a flawed tournament team. Get over it. There is no size, there is no depth, there is no second ball-handler, and Simon kills spacing more than any player in college basketball.

Dixon was supposed to be the insurance policy but he didn’t have what it took between the ears and, unfortunately, that is something you can only realiably assess after coaching someone.

We have the most delusionally entitled fans in all of sports. Grow up.

Marillac, I respect you and I really do consider you guys my brothers since we ride and die with the same program, but calling the fanbase "delusional" and "entitled" is ludicrous and that's the mindset I'm talking about. If demanding more than being under .500 and nearly 30 games under .500 in Big East play is considered "delusional" and "entitled", then you must not have any expectations. If expecting to beat the worst Big East team at home in front of 17,000+ after being billed as a legit tournament team and Big East Champ contender is asking too much, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I never expected to be undefeated at home, but losing to the worst teams in our conference at home 3x already is ridiculous. I don't think it's being "entitled" to have expectations. You shouldn't settle for being the bridesmaid...you should want to be the bride, or what's the point? Our fanbase has been among the best in the country this year showing up. Unfortunately it has had no impact.

I don’t ride and die with any sports team, DMX. I cheer for St. John’s and the Mets and I know full well they will disappoint me 9/10 seasons. I’ve made my peace with that. What I can’t get over is the constant negativity from fans.

The only joy this program offers is hope, but you and your posse are the the sworn enemies of it. You guys make these forums unenjoyable and unreadable after any loss or hint bad news.

Go skiing. Take up scuba diving. Travel. Get laid. It’s just sports man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, Redman#13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 10 hours ago #321931

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1645

Knight wrote: This team needs to play one game at a time. No looking ahead. One game, one task.

It’s an epiphany: 7 to go, and 1 at a time No looking ahead.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 10 hours ago #321932

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2440

jerseyshorejohnny wrote: Rumble in the Garden:

www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2019/2/10/1821...les-14-point-victory

Thanks JSJ. Best summary to date!
The coaches can prove they understand scouting and preparation if they correct the following defensive defect which has plagued the team:
". On several occasions Keita was found chasing one of the Friar guards 20 feet from the basket while Ponds fronted a Friar big under the basket. When teammates tried to assist, the corner wing was open and, as the game progressed, the Friar wings became hot, rarely missing these open shots."

HOW your players switch is preparation and coaching. Mullin and staff need to show they grasp this issue and correct it.....FAST!
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 9 hours ago #321935

• JackofVirginia
  • Thank you received: 290

Class of 72 wrote:

The coaches can prove they understand scouting and preparation if they correct the following defensive defect which has plagued the team:
". On several occasions Keita was found chasing one of the Friar guards 20 feet from the basket while Ponds fronted a Friar big under the basket. When teammates tried to assist, the corner wing was open and, as the game progressed, the Friar wings became hot, rarely missing these open shots."

HOW your players switch is preparation and coaching. Mullin and staff need to show they grasp this issue and correct it.....FAST!

I have been the biggest critic regarding our switching. Here's Keita outside following a guard who is driving to the basket, oops he falls behind. What a surprise! Watch the Virginia Cavaliers as their big man switches on to a guard but gets back to pick up his man. Now there is the difference in coaching defense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 9 hours ago #321936

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2440

JackofVirginia wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

I have been the biggest critic regarding our switching. Here's Keita outside following a guard who is driving to the basket, oops he falls behind. What a surprise! Watch the Virginia Cavaliers as their big man switches on to a guard but gets back to pick up his man. Now there is the difference in coaching defense.

Jack, you see this issue from a coach's perspective. We don't have any "natural" coaches on this team. Yes, they were well coached players but none ever showed any inclination to coach or that they had the technical skills to coach.
This is where losing Slice, and not replacing him with a technically superior assistant coach has hurt this program. Also, having an assistant with only transfer recruiting skills is killing us.
I sense that if there is no upgrade in staff our fans will rebel vocally next season forcing a change that both the AD and President will not be able to ignore. All it will take is two boosters to pull the plug.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, gonzalo

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 9 hours ago #321937

• weathermannyc
  • Thank you received: 98

JackofVirginia wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

There was a defensive strategy used years ago that has fallen out of favor for some reason. The big, in this case Keita plays on the high side of the pick to force the dribbler to go around on the high side. This theoretically allows the guard enough time to go underneath to emerge on the other side in good position. The weakness is if the player setting the pick rolls while Keita is out high. In that case, you would try to pinch help from the corners to help cover the paint. Yes, you leave the corner three open, but then you are forcing them to execute a big catching the ball on the move, not travelling and delivering an accurate pass. Better that than a blind switch where you wind up with Keita on a guard and Ponds on a big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, Class of 72

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 9 hours ago #321938

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 58
Why do I hate losing to Cooley and Providence so much?

It has to do with them beating us multiple times in the first game of the Big East Tournament to send us home deflated and defeated. Plus, Cooley has said some things I don't like.

Here's hoping that payback comes and we get them in that first BET game and kick the stuffing out of them, to solidify our chances and squash theirs.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 9 hours ago #321939

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 561
Anyone who watched that game this weekend should be praying we are on the opposite side of the BET bracket that the friars are on.

Horrible matchup, no way around it. Marquette, Nova, Creighton, and yes, Seton Hall, are all much better matchups for us

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 8 hours ago #321945

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 58
Ok, let's beat them up in Providence instead, that would be okay too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 5 days 8 hours ago #321950

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 332

Jack Williams wrote: At 9-9 we wouldn’t need two BET wins to make tournament. At 5-6 we are in all brackets, if we go 9-9 that means we would have a winning record down the stretch for a resume that already has us in.

In my opinion, 10-8 is safely into the field, 9-9 we’d be in a play in game most likely. 9-9 plus one big east tournament win we’d be in safely.

My advice to the posters that are freaking out about the team and the staff, id definitely wait. Definitely hold off. Because I expect us to beat butler Tuesday, and then if we beat nova Sunday it’d be one of the best weeks for the program and the providence game would all the sudden be minimized in our minds

Going 2-1 in this homestand was a good outcome for us. Until we go 0-3 or 1-2 I’m not gonna freak out

Not beating Butler if they play with no energy like vs. P.C.
Hope they come to play instead of punking out.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com.

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul