Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321802

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 7874
  • Thank you received: 3067

DoodyNY33 wrote:

gonzalo wrote:

fordham96 wrote: Transfer U ...


And if we don´t get Achiuwa (the only HS player that we are recruiting) and we have some losses (draft, transfers out,...) we will only take more transfers.

And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again...


I still don't think Precious is coming to St. John's. When do they ever get top flight recruits? It just never seems to happen for them.

I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I'm not at all impressed with a recruiting class of David Caraher, Eli Wright, Cam Mack, Ian Steere, and Valdir Manuel. Does anyone really think this group is going to put St. John's back on the map? From afar, the roster assembly just looks disjointed and unorganized. Wait, so you want to come to St. John's? Sure, why not? We'll take you.


Absolutely correct on all counts. Disjointed and unorganized and taking unhappy campers that didn't pan out at their first stop. Matt to the rescue for a staff that doesn't do recruiting 101 well. Six new players next season who never played together and who need to be molded by a firm coach who is hopefully a new seasoned assistant. Not sure how AD will be influential in this regard.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321812

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1990
  • Thank you received: 1061

alexander salem wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

Manhattan1 wrote: Even if we make the tournament which I have a feeling we still will this is one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Extremely disorganized and way too many games where we do not show up.


Looking at the roster and the poor recruiting strategy we all should've expected this to be honest.

See Paultz previous post about early perception and reality.


All due respect but do people forget this is Mullin's first time ever coaching? Obviously recruiting has not been traditional but we also have to remember that he's still learning on the fly. Higher ups at SJU knew this. For Mullin and Co. to pull together a roster this talented this early is a testament to his improvement along with the staff's.


All due respect, 4 years in, can't keep covering for Mullin's shortcomings either. If he gets this squad to do what its capable of, and he expected it to do, then he's improved. If not, we can't give him these free passes like he's still coaching Christian Jones, Alibegovic and Felix Balamou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Tonyinfairfield , IDRAFT, RedStormRising, Delaware, Class of 72, L J S A, JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie, ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321817

  • oldschool Redmen
  • oldschool Redmen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3269
  • Thank you received: 634

DoodyNY33 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Mullin;
“I thought he [Josh Roberts] did a great job. He brought great energy” - Mullin #SJUBB

“I don’t think he should have been the only one playing with that energy”

What motivates these guys then? Just beat Marquette in tough road game & they did not play with energy according to Chris?? Don’t get it.


And why does this continue to be a theme?


If Chris can't get them motivated to play for him, then hey.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321823

  • AlexSTJ
  • AlexSTJ's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 478
  • Thank you received: 167

RedStormNC wrote:

alexander salem wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

Manhattan1 wrote: Even if we make the tournament which I have a feeling we still will this is one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Extremely disorganized and way too many games where we do not show up.


Looking at the roster and the poor recruiting strategy we all should've expected this to be honest.

See Paultz previous post about early perception and reality.


All due respect but do people forget this is Mullin's first time ever coaching? Obviously recruiting has not been traditional but we also have to remember that he's still learning on the fly. Higher ups at SJU knew this. For Mullin and Co. to pull together a roster this talented this early is a testament to his improvement along with the staff's.


All due respect, 4 years in, can't keep covering for Mullin's shortcomings either. If he gets this squad to do what its capable of, and he expected it to do, then he's improved. If not, we can't give him these free passes like he's still coaching Christian Jones, Alibegovic and Felix Balamou.


I don't understand your first point because I've personally never covered for anyone shortcomings. I've stated multiple times this year that sometimes the talent of this roster will not overcome the lack of coaching. I just simply recognize the fact that it's his first time coaching, and on top that coaching young men. It's been a frustrating season but their has been noticeable improvement every year. Can anyone on this board name modern examples of Chris Mullins scenario (First time EVER coaching on a major conference level) and them having more success than him?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321826

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3147
  • Thank you received: 3528
Alexander salem wrote: I don't understand your first point because I've personally never covered for anyone shortcomings. I've stated multiple times this year that sometimes the talent of this roster will not overcome the lack of coaching. I just simply recognize the fact that it's his first time coaching, and on top that coaching young men. It's been a frustrating season but their has been noticeable improvement every year. Can anyone on this board name modern examples of Chris Mullins scenario (First time EVER coaching on a major conference level) and them having more success than him?

We'll see how Penny Hardaway does his first 4 years at Memphis as that is a similar experiment. Having said that, it is reasonable to expect some success in year 4; the fact that Coach had no experience speaks more to whether the experiment was a good hire than anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, JackofVirginia, Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321828

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1990
  • Thank you received: 1061
Didnt mean you, specifically, covering for Mullin. Just surprises me that so many keep going back to "no experience". It was a highly questionable decision out of the gate but fans of program supported based on hope/potential.

But he's now got many D1 / Big East games under his belt. He's not inexperienced any longer.

However flawed he's been perceived in several aspects of HC duties, he has assembled the horses to ride this year. He's teetering on the fence of failure or bare minimum acceptable performance (tourney), unless they go on a miraculous run which we all want but less probable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, mjmaherjr, Class of 72, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321829

  • AlexSTJ
  • AlexSTJ's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 478
  • Thank you received: 167

NCJohnnie wrote: Alexander salem wrote: I don't understand your first point because I've personally never covered for anyone shortcomings. I've stated multiple times this year that sometimes the talent of this roster will not overcome the lack of coaching. I just simply recognize the fact that it's his first time coaching, and on top that coaching young men. It's been a frustrating season but their has been noticeable improvement every year. Can anyone on this board name modern examples of Chris Mullins scenario (First time EVER coaching on a major conference level) and them having more success than him?

We'll see how Penny Hardaway does his first 4 years at Memphis as that is a similar experiment. Having said that, it is reasonable to expect some success in year 4; the fact that Coach had no experience speaks more to whether the experiment was a good hire than anything else.


Hardaway has 4 years of exp just like Mullin. AAC is also not a major conference but I see your point. There has been success in year 4. No question about that. The program is heading in a great direction if we see this kind of improvement consistently. Next year barring any surprise exits will be our deepest and biggest team under Mullin. I've stated before that it would not shock if we won more games next year AND had greater post season success. I don't expect to sweep a top 10 team but i think we will do a better job of defending our home court. I think at the end of next season we can truly gauge whether the Mullin experiment was a failure or success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321831

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11445
  • Thank you received: 3736

RedStormNC wrote: Didnt mean you, specifically, covering for Mullin. Just surprises me that so many keep going back to "no experience". It was a highly questionable decision out of the gate but fans of program supported based on hope/potential.

But he's now got many D1 / Big East games under his belt. He's not inexperienced, any longer.

However flawed he's been in aspects of HC duties, he has the horses to ride this year. He's teetering on the fence of failure or bare minimum acceptable performance (tourney), unless they go on a miraculous run which we all want but less probable.

In year 4 for any coach in any sport lack of experience is no longer an excuse
The following user(s) said Thank You: espken, Paultzman, Tonyinfairfield , Class of 72, L J S A, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321835

  • AlexSTJ
  • AlexSTJ's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 478
  • Thank you received: 167

mjmaherjr wrote:

RedStormNC wrote: Didnt mean you, specifically, covering for Mullin. Just surprises me that so many keep going back to "no experience". It was a highly questionable decision out of the gate but fans of program supported based on hope/potential.

But he's now got many D1 / Big East games under his belt. He's not inexperienced, any longer.

However flawed he's been in aspects of HC duties, he has the horses to ride this year. He's teetering on the fence of failure or bare minimum acceptable performance (tourney), unless they go on a miraculous run which we all want but less probable.

In year 4 for any coach in any sport lack of experience is no longer an excuse


What coaches have been so successful that after three years of ever coaching they were given a major conference HC position? Do you think Self, Izzo, Cal, Write, Williams and Coach K were already good coaches in under 4 years? Those guys were still wet behind the ears. I know I'm being extreme but IMO its asinine to completely throw out inexperience as a excuse during year 4. Otherwise we'd have beaten Depaul and Georgetown at home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 8 months 1 week ago #321836

  • Mean Gene
  • Mean Gene's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2530
  • Thank you received: 537

NCJohnnie wrote: Alexander salem wrote: I don't understand your first point because I've personally never covered for anyone shortcomings. I've stated multiple times this year that sometimes the talent of this roster will not overcome the lack of coaching. I just simply recognize the fact that it's his first time coaching, and on top that coaching young men. It's been a frustrating season but their has been noticeable improvement every year. Can anyone on this board name modern examples of Chris Mullins scenario (First time EVER coaching on a major conference level) and them having more success than him?

We'll see how Penny Hardaway does his first 4 years at Memphis as that is a similar experiment. Having said that, it is reasonable to expect some success in year 4; the fact that Coach had no experience speaks more to whether the experiment was a good hire than anything else.


The Hardaway scenario is not exactly comparable because he took over a program in much better shape than ours. Hardaway has some quality players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexSTJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight