Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321749

• DoodyNY33
  • Thank you received: 171

gonzalo wrote:

fordham96 wrote: Transfer U ...

And if we don´t get Achiuwa (the only HS player that we are recruiting) and we have some losses (draft, transfers out,...) we will only take more transfers.

And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again...

I still don't think Precious is coming to St. John's. When do they ever get top flight recruits? It just never seems to happen for them.

I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I'm not at all impressed with a recruiting class of David Caraher, Eli Wright, Cam Mack, Ian Steere, and Valdir Manuel. Does anyone really think this group is going to put St. John's back on the map? From afar, the roster assembly just looks disjointed and unorganized. Wait, so you want to come to St. John's? Sure, why not? We'll take you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321753

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 750

DoodyNY33 wrote:

gonzalo wrote:

fordham96 wrote: Transfer U ...

And if we don´t get Achiuwa (the only HS player that we are recruiting) and we have some losses (draft, transfers out,...) we will only take more transfers.

And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again...

I still don't think Precious is coming to St. John's. When do they ever get top flight recruits? It just never seems to happen for them.

I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I'm not at all impressed with a recruiting class of David Caraher, Eli Wright, Cam Mack, Ian Steere, and Valdir Manuel. Does anyone really think this group is going to put St. John's back on the map? From afar, the roster assembly just looks disjointed and unorganized. Wait, so you want to come to St. John's? Sure, why not? We'll take you.

Most of us are already getting agitated about this season. When it's over, I can wait for Ponds and probably Heron to leave, and then get depressed about the team's prospects next season. Maybe there will be a mystery recruit or JUCO transfer, or a surprise Achiuwa signing. Until then, I get to watch the Mets disappoint this summer.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321754

• Ken Shark
  • Thank you received: 30
Shameful that after playing that pansy schedule to start the season, it took this long to get Roberts into a game before garbage time. The guy pays attention to detail, boxing out, trying to find a path to the basket for an offensive rebound. We just don't see that from this team. Even a quick 4-5 minutes in the first half of a game?
Keita is sure starting to look like Abe, the ball just slides through his hands! He might get some blocked shots, but he's not a quick jumper and a quick release beats him to the punch. Absolutely dumb decision for Simon to try to pass him the ball in the high post, and it gets picked off anyway, risk/reward.
I say again, Williams lost all momentum he had gathered when he got chained to the bench in the Nova game. He's been tentative since, and it's obvious he needs to work on his ball handling.
Painful watching the last 7-8 minutes, they looked like a team trying to kill clock, passing the ball around the outside.
Why is Simon standing in the corner at the 3 point stripe when we know he's not going to shoot(thankfully)? Kinda defeats the purpose of Ponds driving and attracting the defense, no?
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, JackofVirginia

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321756

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1197

Ken Shark wrote: Shameful that after playing that pansy schedule to start the season, it took this long to get Roberts into a game before garbage time. The guy pays attention to detail, boxing out, trying to find a path to the basket for an offensive rebound. We just don't see that from this team. Even a quick 4-5 minutes in the first half of a game?
Keita is sure starting to look like Abe, the ball just slides through his hands! He might get some blocked shots, but he's not a quick jumper and a quick release beats him to the punch. Absolutely dumb decision for Simon to try to pass him the ball in the high post, and it gets picked off anyway, risk/reward.
I say again, Williams lost all momentum he had gathered when he got chained to the bench in the Nova game. He's been tentative since, and it's obvious he needs to work on his ball handling.
Painful watching the last 7-8 minutes, they looked like a team trying to kill clock, passing the ball around the outside.
Why is Simon standing in the corner at the 3 point stripe when we know he's not going to shoot(thankfully)? Kinda defeats the purpose of Ponds driving and attracting the defense, no?

1. Linfonte needs to give Keita the stick um stuff that Fred Belitnikoff used to use
2. Not playing Willams and Roberts during the OCC games is killing us now
3. They're leaving Simon alone at the 3 point stripe and he doesn't shoot. Very telling.
4. With our lacks of bigs, we're not gonna match up well with teams that have good ones

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321765

• JackofVirginia
  • Thank you received: 378

Ken Shark wrote: Shameful that after playing that pansy schedule to start the season, it took this long to get Roberts into a game before garbage time. The guy pays attention to detail, boxing out, trying to find a path to the basket for an offensive rebound. We just don't see that from this team. Even a quick 4-5 minutes in the first half of a game?

I can't believe Roberts suddenly turned into a decent looking prospect. He was all over the court blocking shots in fact two in a row. He was quick to the ball and even had the look of confidence.. And yet this kid did not warrant any decent playing time while we were struggling with our bench. Mullin, sorry but you are a disappointment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, ron

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321780

• Manhattan1
  • Thank you received: 199
Even if we make the tournament which I have a feeling we still will this is one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Extremely disorganized and way too many games where we do not show up.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321781

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 1745
We are overstating how good Roberts is, and the lack of playing time early on. He wasn't ready and quite frankly he isn't ready now.

Also keep in mind something many of us pointed out during the early season, struggling against some very bad opponents left them no room to take starters out of those games. That is why not blowing out some of those bad teams hurt. They could not afford to lose those games.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321782

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 1745

Manhattan1 wrote: Even if we make the tournament which I have a feeling we still will this is one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Extremely disorganized and way too many games where we do not show up.

Looking at the roster and the poor recruiting strategy we all should've expected this to be honest.

See Paultz previous post about early perception and reality.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321793

• alexander salem
  • Thank you received: 153

fordham96 wrote:

Manhattan1 wrote: Even if we make the tournament which I have a feeling we still will this is one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Extremely disorganized and way too many games where we do not show up.

Looking at the roster and the poor recruiting strategy we all should've expected this to be honest.

See Paultz previous post about early perception and reality.

All due respect but do people forget this is Mullin's first time ever coaching? Obviously recruiting has not been traditional but we also have to remember that he's still learning on the fly. Higher ups at SJU knew this. For Mullin and Co. to pull together a roster this talented this early is a testament to his improvement along with the staff's.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 4 months 5 days ago #321796

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 12700
Interesting!
Per Kevin McNamara

“Over the last six seasons, the Friars' record backs up Cooley's words. PC is 12-5 at MSG over that stretch and has beaten St. John's in seven of the last eight meetings.”

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter