Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM

Enough is Enough 1 week 2 hours ago #321710

• Phil G
  • Thank you received: 12
'87 grad
I live and die every season with St. John's - will always root for them even as disappointed as I was leaving the garden today
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmanwest, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 1 week 1 hour ago #321713

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 1020
I forgot this guy was still alive:

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 20 hours ago #321726

• gonzalo
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 141

fordham96 wrote: Transfer U ...

And if we don´t get Achiuwa (the only HS player that we are recruiting) and we have some losses (draft, transfers out,...) we will only take more transfers.

And some of them will sit out and we will have depth problems again...

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 16 hours ago #321732

• Delaware
  • Thank you received: 101

Mean Gene wrote: Everyone here knew that Seton Hall game would come back to bite us. The way this is shaking out , it will probably vbe the difference in the end for us not making the Tournament

Agree. It will kill us. But all the losses since then have hurt more. Predict this team ends up 7 - 11 in conference.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 16 hours ago #321733

• DoodyNY33
  • Thank you received: 36

Paultzman wrote: Mullin;
“I thought he [Josh Roberts] did a great job. He brought great energy” - Mullin #SJUBB

“I don’t think he should have been the only one playing with that energy”

What motivates these guys then? Just beat Marquette in tough road game & they did not play with energy according to Chris?? Don’t get it.

And why does this continue to be a theme?

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 15 hours ago #321735

• Delaware
  • Thank you received: 101
Its not about Owens and Dixon not being here. It's about the players that are here. And they're just not good enough, especially with this staff leading them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, ron

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 15 hours ago #321736

• DoodyNY33
  • Thank you received: 36

Jack Williams wrote:

Knight wrote: Coach is responsible for team not be ready or enthusiastic.

Listen I’m not happy with the job mullin is doing but at some point these guys gotta come out and play hard in a game where their backs aren’t against the wall.

Everytime we are one loss away from really falling apart, they show up. Then we get a nice win and some momentum, and we come out flat. Watch after this tough loss today we will come out and blow the doors off butler Tuesday. Then the cycle will probably repeat itself against nova at msg

First and foremost, the blame is on the players. Clark has become a 10 PPG who shoots 40% from the field. Also, his 3P ability has completely fallen apart (2-8 Villanova, 1-7 DePaul, 2-9 G'town, 0-4 Marquette, 0-4 Providence). Simon, I don't even know where to begin. Simon has regressed in every possible way this year. Scoring less (10.1 vs. 12.2), rebounding less (4.8 vs. 7.1), less assists (3.5 vs. 5.1), less steals (1.3 vs. 2.5). His running floaters could be one of the most painful things for me to watch. And his shooting ability? Mother of God. Also, just to reiterate what other posters are saying... how does your center get zero rebounds in 20 minutes? That is dreadful by Keita.

But again, I'll say the same thing. I don't know how the coaching staff is not able to get these kids motivated. Watching that first half, I knew St. John's was going to lose that game because it was Georgetown all over again. They were going through the motions, just expecting to turn it on at some point. Why can't the coaching staff notice this and actually do something about it? It just doesn't make sense to me that effort and intensity continues to be a problem.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 15 hours ago #321741

• ron
  • Thank you received: 157

DoodyNY33 wrote:

Jack Williams wrote:

Knight wrote: Coach is responsible for team not be ready or enthusiastic.

Listen I’m not happy with the job mullin is doing but at some point these guys gotta come out and play hard in a game where their backs aren’t against the wall.

Everytime we are one loss away from really falling apart, they show up. Then we get a nice win and some momentum, and we come out flat. Watch after this tough loss today we will come out and blow the doors off butler Tuesday. Then the cycle will probably repeat itself against nova at msg

First and foremost, the blame is on the players. Clark has become a 10 PPG who shoots 40% from the field. Also, his 3P ability has completely fallen apart (2-8 Villanova, 1-7 DePaul, 2-9 G'town, 0-4 Marquette, 0-4 Providence). Simon, I don't even know where to begin. Simon has regressed in every possible way this year. Scoring less (10.1 vs. 12.2), rebounding less (4.8 vs. 7.1), less assists (3.5 vs. 5.1), less steals (1.3 vs. 2.5). His running floaters could be one of the most painful things for me to watch. And his shooting ability? Mother of God. Also, just to reiterate what other posters are saying... how does your center get zero rebounds in 20 minutes? That is dreadful by Keita.

But again, I'll say the same thing. I don't know how the coaching staff is not able to get these kids motivated. Watching that first half, I knew St. John's was going to lose that game because it was Georgetown all over again. They were going through the motions, just expecting to turn it on at some point. Why can't the coaching staff notice this and actually do something about it? It just doesn't make sense to me that effort and intensity continues to be a problem.

The effort issue is puzzling. During Mullin's first three years the team was not very good, however, they seemed to play hard for 40 minutes every game. I don't know if they were self motivated, but whatever the reason it is missing at times this year. I believe it is on the staff to ensure that players play hard and if they do not they sit.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, NCJohnnie

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 14 hours ago #321746

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 539
Not making excuses, but offering this explanation. It has to wear on these guys to constantly be defending and fighting for rebounds with bigger and stronger athletes. The bench is small at 6'2, then 6'4, and Keita at 6'8 who is still moving without fluidity. The second half looked like a schoolyard game where the young kids were chased off the court by the older and much taller and more athletic kids.

We have enough mismatches to deal with even without the constant switching. Georgetown and Providence each have 2 or 3 bigs that are much more athletic than our bigs. Having 2 superior athletes in Simon and Heron can't make up for the size differential. It's basketball, and size counts for a lot. The guys just looked worn down by an entire season of this. Relief is coming next year with Steere and maybe Manuel, and a healthier Keita, but we needed that size this season.

(POST-GAME) Providence (MSG), Sat. Feb. 9, Noon, CBS SN, 570AM 6 days 14 hours ago #321747

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 223
Yesterday's game was a great example of how many ways SJU's reliance on an almost non existent bench can affect both team strategy and eventually end up with a loss.
1 Providence had both size and bulk advantage and pressing their guards may have been good strategy but that would end up with SJU players sucking wind with ten minutes left in the game
2 Foul trouble or injury ( Heron ) can have an overwhelming effect on the game. SJU has been very lucky only losing Ponds and Heron for one game each so far this year.
3 Starting five can't help but get complacent when they are not pressed for playing time
4 Players who are having terrible games cannot be substituted for
Losing Dixon contributed to this situation but was it worth having Caraher for next year instead of a body that could contribute this year?

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com.

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul