Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313813

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 394
Does Mullin think this is last year when we had no bench?

Tonight was 9 on 6, yeah Keita gave us 5 minutes, but nothing in the 2nd half.

How does any coach expect to win plaing only 6 guys, we the fans know you need to play your bench, but coach doesn't?
Williams gotta be sick or injured, and hope Keita didn't injure his knee.
Trying to give Mullin the benefit of the doubt, gotta be a reason.
If both are fine, then uhhhhhhhhhh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313814

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 998
The lack of Keita was interesting. He had the one tip in in the first half and it was nice to have someone under the basket for when we miss a shot. It gets kind of annoying when we don’t even attempt to threaten for an offensive board
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, capmaker, fan5577

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313815

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 839
Seems like St. Jean manages the rotation/minutes...

Really never see Mullin calling for the substitutions
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, mjmaherjr, Class of 72

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313816

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 965

oldschool Redmen wrote: Does Mullin think this is last year when we had no bench?

Tonight was 9 on 6, yeah Keita gave us 5 minutes, but nothing in the 2nd half.

How does any coach expect to win plaing only 6 guys, we the fans know you need to play your bench, but coach doesn't?
Williams gotta be sick or injured, and hope Keita didn't injure his knee.
Trying to give Mullin the benefit of the doubt, gotta be a reason.
If both are fine, then uhhhhhhhhhh.

Keita's +/- was -11 in those 5 minutes.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313817

• RyGuyRedStorm
  • Thank you received: 32

Marillac wrote:

Jack Williams wrote: Regarding Simon, I think a lot of you are ignoring how important he is on the defensive end.

He needs to be in down the stretch. For defense. On offense, he needs to be utilized better. Stop hanging around the perimeter. Get him the ball down low.

Simon is great. I have no doubt I could put that kid in the NBA with 20 lbs and a mental shift to forward. He needs to play to his strengths. He's strong and explosive. He's long. He's exceptional in the paint. He just sucks on the perimeter. Why is he there then!!!

Seriously disagree with all the Simon hate going on. Prior to that missed floater, he made his last 3-4 drives and was posting up well. With how Shamorie was playing st the end, Clark hot and cold, LJ hurt..... I have no problem with Justin taking it hard to the lane.

Mustapha is most puzzling to me. His swings from hot to cold are so extreme and he seems to foul on every defensive possession where he has to challenge a shot. Seems like he’s not moving his feet enough on defense and is then forced to recover aggressively causing the foul issues. Honestly I think there were probably 3-4 more three’s that nova took tonight that we fouled on and refs didn’t call.

Last edit: by RyGuyRedStorm.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313818

• Logen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 587

RyGuyRedStorm wrote:

Tonyinfairfield wrote: Ponds played 39 minutes, Simon 38, Figgy 34, Clark 33 and Heron 24.

Keita played 5, Williams 0 and Trimble 27.

This says it all. Shamorie looked completely exhausted at the end of the game. We can’t be expected to close games playing 6 players. Could Keita really not get more then 5 minutes today? Would Williams have brought our level down so much they would blow our doors off while he’s on the court? The guys played well, but I know with 6-7 mins left we were losing bc everyone was starting to look tired and stopped moving.

Paschall played 40, Booth 39, Gillespie 34. I don’t know why Keita especially didn’t play in the 2nd half but I just don’t buy the gassed theory. We get gassed but our opponents don’t? Yes, we played poorly down the stretch but we also played just as poorly for stretches in the 1st half, were we gassed then? We are inconsistent, and we shift quickly into cruise mode and play very uninspired and unintelligent basketball with a lead. Maybe we will learn from this loss but we obviously didn’t learn anything from the Seton Hall game. We quickly lost 3 or 4 double digit leads tonight and kept Nova in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

Last edit: by Logen.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313819

• dee
  • Thank you received: 17
Here we go again. Dixon is transferring and we could have used him tonight. I recall a kid named Colin Charles who transferred under Jarvis and it hurt us in the loss to Gonzaga because Barkley got into foul trouble. Missing Dixon and the depth he provided is going to sting us and this is example 1

Last edit: by dee.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313820

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 341
This was a tough road loss in a tough conference. Just a close loss. No real complaints. Effort was there. Officiating was awful once again but I have come to expect that of the Big East and NCAA.
Two things I would hope CM would work on with the team.
1-The moving screen was called on Heron again. Both Clark and Heron have committed this foul on several occasions this season. Especially harmful when they are almost always in foul trouble and we need them so badly.
2- The fouling of 3 point shooters has got to stop. They need to work on it. I wish there was a stat but I would guess we lead the league in this foul. Heck someone even put a 4 point play against us this season.
On to DePaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313821

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 696

sjc88 wrote: This was a tough road loss in a tough conference. Just a close loss. No real complaints. Effort was there. Officiating was awful once again but I have come to expect that of the Big East and NCAA.
Two things I would hope CM would work on with the team.
1-The moving screen was called on Heron again. Both Clark and Heron have committed this foul on several occasions this season. Especially harmful when they are almost always in foul trouble and we need them so badly.
2- The fouling of 3 point shooters has got to stop. They need to work on it. I wish there was a stat but I would guess we lead the league in this foul. Heck someone even put a 4 point play against us this season.
On to DePaul.

Regarding #2, the fouling of three point shooters appears to go hand-in-hand with us guarding the 3 pointer better, in general. I don't want to just say back off, because we've seen what happens when we do that.

It's frustrating, but it's also a slippery slop to just say "don't do it."
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 2 months 2 weeks ago #313822

• MBaldi
  • Thank you received: 63
My apologies if I missed a post on the issue, but was Mullin barking at Stephens after the non-calls on ‘Nova’s goaltending and subsequent travel shown/discussed on tv. I was at the game, and it appeared that Richmond had to step-in to prevent Mullin from getting a T, but interested to hear what happened. From my vantage point, Mullin was as animated as I’ve ever seen him (as a player and coach) — which appeared to be totally justified. Still, I’m sure some of his wrath was carried over from the Seton Hall debacle. These refs really did look pretty bad.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter