Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314295

• Redman#13
  • Thank you received: 62

OLV72 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

bamafan wrote:

Knight wrote: I hated CMs instruction to shoot and get back on defense. No wonder we get no offensive rebounds. What ever happened to follow your shot?

The new concept following along the lines of positionless basketball is reboundingless basketball.

Being outrebounded by 12 or 10 every game means even if the other team scores on half of those rebounds we give up 10 points per game. Bad outside shots and no inside game strategy also costs us 4 points per game. That's why this team with a better staff would be undefeated instead of still learning. Greg St. Jean is the most overrated assistant coach in college basketball. John Kresse he is not. We all love Mullin but he can't do it alone like other coaches and begs the question "who is Chris Mullin learning from". You will never have a complete college team playing NBA basketball because even Kentucky with five 5 star players can't do that. You need to coach up college players and not just let them run up and down shooting long balls.

Nice to see that you’ve recognized the great job done on the recruiting front.

Not going for Offensive rebounds also keeps the guys away from cheap loose ball fouls. I do no mind the strategy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314297

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 1198

Redman#13 wrote:

OLV72 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

bamafan wrote:

Knight wrote: I hated CMs instruction to shoot and get back on defense. No wonder we get no offensive rebounds. What ever happened to follow your shot?

The new concept following along the lines of positionless basketball is reboundingless basketball.

Being outrebounded by 12 or 10 every game means even if the other team scores on half of those rebounds we give up 10 points per game. Bad outside shots and no inside game strategy also costs us 4 points per game. That's why this team with a better staff would be undefeated instead of still learning. Greg St. Jean is the most overrated assistant coach in college basketball. John Kresse he is not. We all love Mullin but he can't do it alone like other coaches and begs the question "who is Chris Mullin learning from". You will never have a complete college team playing NBA basketball because even Kentucky with five 5 star players can't do that. You need to coach up college players and not just let them run up and down shooting long balls.

Not going for Offensive rebounds also keeps the guys away from cheap loose ball fouls. I do no mind the strategy

I hope this is sarcasm.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314298

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 1184
Our strategy works a lot of the time. But I wish we’d adjust and crash the boards a little when games get close down the stretch.

When you don’t even attempt for offensive rebounds late in games, it puts so much pressure on whatever first shot you get. It has to go in or it’s an empty possession.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Moose

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314300

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1054

Marillac wrote:

Redman#13 wrote:

OLV72 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

bamafan wrote:

I hope this is sarcasm.

Kind of like, don't drive the hoop to avoid charges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314301

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 1198

Jack Williams wrote: Our strategy works a lot of the time. But I wish we’d adjust and crash the boards a little when games get close down the stretch.

When you don’t even attempt for offensive rebounds late in games, it puts so much pressure on whatever first shot you get. It has to go in or it’s an empty possession.

It's not a strategy...it's a lack of emphasis by the staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314302

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 1184

Marillac wrote:

Jack Williams wrote: Our strategy works a lot of the time. But I wish we’d adjust and crash the boards a little when games get close down the stretch.

Evidenced by when CM was micd up in a timeout against Nova, it is a strategy. He told the players. Just get back and stop fast breaks. He told them not to go for offensive boards. That’s a strategy he told his players to play with
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Moose, Class of 72, Redman#13

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314303

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 1225

Jack Williams wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Evidenced by when CM was micd up in a timeout against Nova, it is a strategy. He told the players. Just get back and stop fast breaks. He told them not to go for offensive boards. That’s a strategy he told his players to play with

It is strategy. It’s exact same philosophy Belein has always followed. Grab defensive rebounds, forget offensive boards and concentrate on offense.

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/445658002
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, section10, Redman#13

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314306

• MCNPA

Jack Williams wrote:

Marillac wrote:

It is strategy. It’s exact same philosophy Belein has always followed. Grab defensive rebounds, forget offensive boards and concentrate on offense.

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314308

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2972

MCNPA wrote:

Jack Williams wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Belein preaches defensive rebounding. We are usually on the short end of the stick on both defensive and offensive rebounding. Hopefully that changes next year with height and bulk. Reality is the team that puts the basket in the hoop the most wins. Cold shooting by two of our 5 loses games as we did against Wright and Villanova.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

(POST-GAME) @Villanova, Tues., Jan. 8, 7p, FS-1 / 970 AM 5 months 4 days ago #314312

• MCNPA

Class of 72 wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Jack Williams wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Belein preaches defensive rebounding. We are usually on the short end of the stick on both defensive and offensive rebounding. Hopefully that changes next year with height and bulk. Reality is the team that puts the basket in the hoop the most wins. Cold shooting by two of our 5 loses games as we did against Wright and Villanova.

We actually do defensive rebound. We were doing well at it until conference season began but fell behind. This is exact same strategy Mullin and Belein share, like it or not. It is philosophical and isn’t gonna change. We DO have to defensive rebound better.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter