Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The sign of a healthy program

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311215

  • Marillac
  • Marillac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4660
  • Thank you received: 435
The way Greg Williams is being brought along is textbook. This is how healthy programs reload.

You don't rely on freshmen (outside of the occasional star), but you get them time when earned and when they show competence.
It's been a long freaking time since we've brought a kid along like this--and he's happy and supportive as can be. I can't wait to watch this kid progress over the next four years. He's really won me over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, Section3, isham, AlBovino, SJU85, jerseyshorejohnny, IDRAFT, firestorm, capmaker, Amaseinyourface and 10 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Marillac.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311228

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1614
  • Thank you received: 586
Hope all those local recruits showed up that were expected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac, kranmars, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311235

  • RJGBOOTSY
  • RJGBOOTSY's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 185
  • Thank you received: 113

Marillac wrote: The way Greg Williams is being brought along is textbook. This is how healthy programs reload.

You don't rely on freshmen (outside of the occasional star), but you get them time when earned and when they show competence.
It's been a long freaking time since we've brought a kid along like this--and he's happy and supportive as can be. I can't wait to watch this kid progress over the next four years. He's really won me over.


It takes time to build a program.That is what the staff has been preaching all along. You can go for the quick fix and build a team every year or take the approach we are taking. Establish a framework of recruiting, player development, offensive and defensive culture and then execute consistently. It is working and will continue to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac, AlBovino, MarkRedman, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311246

  • kranmars
  • kranmars's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1718
  • Thank you received: 419
Marillac, good call when you said the opponent following this team's first loss had better be ready for an ambush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311270

  • MarkRedman
  • MarkRedman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3238
  • Thank you received: 533

RJGBOOTSY wrote:

Marillac wrote: The way Greg Williams is being brought along is textbook. This is how healthy programs reload.

You don't rely on freshmen (outside of the occasional star), but you get them time when earned and when they show competence.
It's been a long freaking time since we've brought a kid along like this--and he's happy and supportive as can be. I can't wait to watch this kid progress over the next four years. He's really won me over.


It takes time to build a program.That is what the staff has been preaching all along. You can go for the quick fix and build a team every year or take the approach we are taking. Establish a framework of recruiting, player development, offensive and defensive culture and then execute consistently. It is working and will continue to work.


This is why I never understood the bashing of the program since CM took the reins. Mullin inherited a team with zero talent. It takes time to recruit a team full of BE caliber players, indoctrinate them with the culture that you are trying to create on and off the court and develop team chemistry and get them to mesh.. He actually did it in three years, as last year's team should have made The Dance had it not been for the LoVett debacle. I love watching this year's team play. They are aggressive and feisty and play with a lot of intensity. Give credit where credit is due. The staff and kids are doing a great job thus far this season. Our style of play and success will certainly help us on the recruiting trail in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac, redmannorth, Room112, AlBovino, redmanwest, OLV72, firestorm, Andrew, Chicago Days, algold98 and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311282

  • Marillac
  • Marillac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4660
  • Thank you received: 435

MarkRedman wrote:

RJGBOOTSY wrote:

Marillac wrote: The way Greg Williams is being brought along is textbook. This is how healthy programs reload.

You don't rely on freshmen (outside of the occasional star), but you get them time when earned and when they show competence.
It's been a long freaking time since we've brought a kid along like this--and he's happy and supportive as can be. I can't wait to watch this kid progress over the next four years. He's really won me over.


It takes time to build a program.That is what the staff has been preaching all along. You can go for the quick fix and build a team every year or take the approach we are taking. Establish a framework of recruiting, player development, offensive and defensive culture and then execute consistently. It is working and will continue to work.


This is why I never understood the bashing of the program since CM took the reins. Mullin inherited a team with zero talent. It takes time to recruit a team full of BE caliber players, indoctrinate them with the culture that you are trying to create on and off the court and develop team chemistry and get them to mesh.. He actually did it in three years, as last year's team should have made The Dance had it not been for the LoVett debacle. I love watching this year's team play. They are aggressive and feisty and play with a lot of intensity. Give credit where credit is due. The staff and kids are doing a great job thus far this season. Our style of play and success will certainly help us on the recruiting trail in the future.


Continuity is so important to success in college basketball. It took four years for us to get a 4* like Williams who came here willing to sit and learn and not be some malcontent who felt entitled to 25 minutes out of the gate. Kids like Wiliams who step up as sophs and juniors after learning with smaller roles are the backbone of good teams.

When you first fill a vacant roster you attract kids who just want minutes instead of confident players willing to earn it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SigEpSJU09

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311319

  • JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2909
  • Thank you received: 974

RedStormNC wrote: Hope all those local recruits showed up that were expected.


Not sure about all of them, but I did see Andre Curbelo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311328

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3771
  • Thank you received: 563
Agree about Greg Williams. Really like the kid. He’s super long and athletic. Learning to be more aggressive. His skill set will come along in time and I think with his speed has the ability to be an above average defender. Nice to see him get minutes. We need him this season for depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311346

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4951
  • Thank you received: 754

JohnnyFan wrote:

RedStormNC wrote: Hope all those local recruits showed up that were expected.


Not sure about all of them, but I did see Andre Curbelo.

Saw him too, pointed him out to a friend who said he looks like he is 35 years old (but I'll take him). :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The sign of a healthy program 1 week 6 days ago #311352

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4974
  • Thank you received: 1322

MCNPA wrote: Agree about Greg Williams. Really like the kid. He’s super long and athletic. Learning to be more aggressive. His skill set will come along in time and I think with his speed has the ability to be an above average defender. Nice to see him get minutes. We need him this season for depth.


My only regret about him is the same one I've had for months -- that he didn't really grow to 6'6" like that random guy interviewing him once claimed. If he had, GW would be playing all five positions for us by next month and we'd be the deepest thin-benched team in the land

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.


If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:


Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul

Follow redmen.com on Twitter