Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Realistic Expectation for First Four Games

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309467

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2314

Marillac wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: I'm hoping for a 2-2 split but if Keita is a non factor I can see us starting 0-4. Especially after watching Sacred Heart beat us on the boards on both ends of the court. In conference play size will matter and it is wonderful to have a good shooting forward like Clark taking treys but that usually means our guys are already running away from the basket when he shoots. Every Big East team here out will have the 6'8 and 6'10 kids to give us problems. Last night they were Sacred Heart kids. Now they will be nationally ranked Big East kids. Let's see if small ball works in conference. Without defense and rebounding my guess is that it won't be enough.

WTF?

Our center is 6'7-6'8 230 lbs and is one of the best set shooters in the country. The guys we have playing PF an C can all start a break, score 25 points any given night, and hit free throws. He can space the floor better than any big man in the country.

Look at what a typical big man does in a game...usually 50% or so from the line which means 4-6 misses from the stripe, tires and gets beat back a few times in transition, gets beaten on the perimeter a handful of times by guards and wings, clogs the lane, doesn't stretch the D, etc. Let them get 5-6 layups if we can get 8-10 baskets on the other end from the other stuff.

WTF Center that is 6'8 are you referring to because I must have missed that player all season thus far. We don't play a "center" position on this team. Marvin Clark is an outstanding shooting SF. There is no "power" in his game and he is not relentless under the boards. The other players are in the 6'1 to 6'6 range and can all score as you stated. The problem will be when Marvin is off or in foul trouble we are in deep WTF shit. That's why the Keita issue looms over this team and this season just as Marcus LoVett loomed and doomed our season last year.
Bottom line is that one player, especially not your best player, should be such a factor on any team.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309468

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 440
A number of pitchers, Bob Gibson being the first and Tom Terrific as well, always said that the most important pitch is strike 1. This season, the most important Big East win, especially staring last year o and 11, is win 1. Let's get it right away and take the monkey off our backs. The team will be loose after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Paultzman

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309469

• ron
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 122
Hoping for 4-0. Expecting 1-3 (Georgetown), but would not be surprised 0-4.
Ron

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309470

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 335

Marillac wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote: 4-0 is not a realistic expectation. That’s 3 road games including at nova and the home game is against the best team in the league who has the biggest physical presence in Theo John. We better come out and beat SH or I think we’ll be lucky to be 1-3.

The positive is one of the tougher 4 game stretches is out of the way, the negative being there aren’t many easy 4 game stretches in the BE. Regardless, I think end of the year we’ll have 11 wins and a more than safe bid.

Georgetown and SH are two of the most winnable road games we play all season.

We have a stretch later in the year: @Creighton, @Duke, @Marquette, Providence, Butler, Villanova, and @ Providence...followed by Seton Hall. That is consecutive!!!!!

If we are a tournament team we will beat SH and Gtown on the road and we will protect our home court against Marquette. They are good but they aren't Gonzaga. They lost by 23 to Indiana and they barely beat a 3-0 UTEP team.

We can't lose at home to Marquette this early. What are the odds we can beat them on the road later in the year?! Pretty close to zero.

Most winnable does not equal games we should win. You of all guys trying to downplay winning on the road right now? Marquette is our worst matchup I’ve already said that, If there’s a team that’s gonna sweep us it’s them.

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309473

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 545
Don’t predict, but if we play 40 minutes hard and smart, every game is winnable, don’t, and all are loseable. No groundbreaking insight with that statement so I am very anxious to see how we play Saturday. The Hall is tough, they have a great scorer in Powell, and are more proven than we are at this stage by virtue of their schedule. It’s 40 minute time for an experienced team, so my favorite sports cliche, we shall see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72, Dan V

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309475

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 474

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote: 4-0 is not a realistic expectation. That’s 3 road games including at nova and the home game is against the best team in the league who has the biggest physical presence in Theo John. We better come out and beat SH or I think we’ll be lucky to be 1-3.

The positive is one of the tougher 4 game stretches is out of the way, the negative being there aren’t many easy 4 game stretches in the BE. Regardless, I think end of the year we’ll have 11 wins and a more than safe bid.

We have a stretch later in the year: @Creighton, @Duke, @Marquette, Providence, Butler, Villanova, and @ Providence...followed by Seton Hall. That is consecutive!!!!!

If we are a tournament team we will beat SH and Gtown on the road and we will protect our home court against Marquette. They are good but they aren't Gonzaga. They lost by 23 to Indiana and they barely beat a 3-0 UTEP team.

We can't lose at home to Marquette this early. What are the odds we can beat them on the road later in the year?! Pretty close to zero.

Most winnable does not equal games we should win. You of all guys trying to downplay winning on the road right now? Marquette is our worst matchup I’ve already said that, If there’s a team that’s gonna sweep us it’s them.

I choose to be overly positive until proven wrong.

Our biggest weakness is effort. 3/4 of the first games will be effort city. Gtown might be a let down there. The boys will compete those first two! And Nova?!

Winning on the road is never easy.

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309476

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 335

Marillac wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Marillac wrote:

I choose to be overly positive until proven wrong.

Our biggest weakness is effort. 3/4 of the first games will be effort city. Gtown might be a let down there. The boys will compete those first two! And Nova?!

Winning on the road is never easy.

I’m as high on this team as anyone. You said the other day 10 wins would be a good job.

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309484

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 474

Class of 72 wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: I'm hoping for a 2-2 split but if Keita is a non factor I can see us starting 0-4. Especially after watching Sacred Heart beat us on the boards on both ends of the court. In conference play size will matter and it is wonderful to have a good shooting forward like Clark taking treys but that usually means our guys are already running away from the basket when he shoots. Every Big East team here out will have the 6'8 and 6'10 kids to give us problems. Last night they were Sacred Heart kids. Now they will be nationally ranked Big East kids. Let's see if small ball works in conference. Without defense and rebounding my guess is that it won't be enough.

WTF?

Our center is 6'7-6'8 230 lbs and is one of the best set shooters in the country. The guys we have playing PF an C can all start a break, score 25 points any given night, and hit free throws. He can space the floor better than any big man in the country.

Look at what a typical big man does in a game...usually 50% or so from the line which means 4-6 misses from the stripe, tires and gets beat back a few times in transition, gets beaten on the perimeter a handful of times by guards and wings, clogs the lane, doesn't stretch the D, etc. Let them get 5-6 layups if we can get 8-10 baskets on the other end from the other stuff.

WTF Center that is 6'8 are you referring to because I must have missed that player all season thus far. We don't play a "center" position on this team. Marvin Clark is an outstanding shooting SF. There is no "power" in his game and he is not relentless under the boards. The other players are in the 6'1 to 6'6 range and can all score as you stated. The problem will be when Marvin is off or in foul trouble we are in deep WTF shit. That's why the Keita issue looms over this team and this season just as Marcus LoVett loomed and doomed our season last year.
Bottom line is that one player, especially not your best player, should be such a factor on any team.

Marvin Clark is as much of a SF as you.
Maybe you missed the Final Four when he was a freshman and played a ton of minutes for Izzo at center? He played 18 minutes in an OT Elite Eight win against Louisville -- nearly all at center. He played 10 minutes against Duke in the Final Four. All told, he played 59 minutes at the four and five in five NCAA tournament games for a Final Four team. He also had 68 minutes in six Big Ten conference tournament games at the four and five.That many not be good enough for 72, but it's good enough for me.

Kevin Pittsnoogle was a 6'10 250 center that hit over 40% on 8-9 threes a game, but nobody every called him a SF. For some reason Clark gets that label here. Puzzling.

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309485

• rawdognyc
  • Thank you received: 286
4-0. Until they show me that they can lose a game, we have new sets that people haven't seen yet that will knock the balls outta your pants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac, Spocky Ramone

Realistic Expectation for First Four Games 4 weeks 2 days ago #309486

• rawdognyc
  • Thank you received: 286

Marillac wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

Marillac wrote:

WTF?

Marvin Clark is as much of a SF as you.
Maybe you missed the Final Four when he was a freshman and played a ton of minutes for Izzo at center? He played 18 minutes in an OT Elite Eight win against Louisville -- nearly all at center. He played 10 minutes against Duke in the Final Four. All told, he played 59 minutes at the four and five in five NCAA tournament games for a Final Four team. He also had 68 minutes in six Big Ten conference tournament games at the four and five.That many not be good enough for 72, but it's good enough for me.

Kevin Pittsnoogle was a 6'10 250 center that hit over 40% on 8-9 threes a game, but nobody every called him a SF. For some reason Clark gets that label here. Puzzling.

Why bother? You know it's the same regurgitated stuff, even though we're 12-0. There are those on this board that point out our "weaknesses ", but for some reason don't understand that our team is set up to be a mismatch nightmare on offense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul

Follow redmen.com on Twitter