Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351577

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 719
I mean, you can't recruit players that literally don't exist.

The market is extremely limited. The lack of PG options at this point are very well documented. I checked immediately eligible transfer bigs who are still available as well and the market is similarly scarce. There's Kerry Blackshear who is being recruited by the top programs in the country and that's pretty much it.

As many others have correctly pointed out, need to do the best we can (and likely be creative) to field a competitive roster this year while building foundation for the future. There are no shortcuts. I have no problem with us putting in the insulation and plumbing first, and then going out shopping for the master bathroom hot tub for a change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351579

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 537
Kid hit a game winner... against Ohio State.... at Ohio State.

The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Tommy O 54

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351582

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3126

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote: I mean, you can't recruit players that literally don't exist.

The market is extremely limited. The lack of PG options at this point are very well documented. I checked immediately eligible transfer bigs who are still available as well and the market is similarly scarce. There's Kerry Blackshear who is being recruited by the top programs in the country and that's pretty much it.

As many others have correctly pointed out, need to do the best we can (and likely be creative) to field a competitive roster this year while building foundation for the future. There are no shortcuts. I have no problem with us putting in the insulation and plumbing first, and then going out shopping for the master bathroom hot tub for a change.

...and then 'closing' on 'high-end' big pieces to protect the doors & skillfully-crafted chandeliers that can 'shoot the lights' out. Lol.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351584

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 1084
There is absolutely no down side to bringing in this kid from Monmouth as he is done after this year. I hope that he will play to his strengths which seem to be defense and passing and keep his shots to a minimum. I don’t expect much but we need another point guard and there can’t be much left to choose from.

Very curious to see the system and defense. Hopefully it attracts solid players going forward.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351585

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1855

Andrew wrote: There is absolutely no down side to bringing in this kid from Monmouth as he is done after this year. I hope that he will play to his strengths which seem to be defense and passing and keep his shots to a minimum. I don’t expect much but we need another point guard and there can’t be much left to choose from.

Very curious to see the system and defense. Hopefully it attracts solid players going forward.

I have the same hope and key on your use of the word “solid”. It seems Anderson recruits to the way he wants to play as opposed to rankings and stars. Making Plays, please comment if I am reading him wrong. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t recruit talent but it is the type of talent he wants and can mold into team. That is great from my perspective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Last edit: by Logen.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351586

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 418
I just don’t get all the unbridled optimism. The much maligned Matt A. had little difficulty scooping up solid players late in the game. Glad we’re filling out the roster, but that’s about all you can say we are doing from my point of view.

Really hope I’m way off. One poster suggested I have an agenda. My agenda is not to suffer another total rebuild. After more than 30 years as a diehard fan, I’m really sick of it. Sorry if I’m raining on the
parade.of optimism.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351587

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1855

Boo Harvey wrote: I just don’t get all the unbridled optimism. The much maligned Matt A. had little difficulty scooping up solid players late in the game. Glad we’re filling out the roster, but that’s about all you can say we are doing from my point of view.

Really hope I’m way off. One poster suggested I have an agenda. My agenda is not to suffer another total rebuild. After more than 30 years as a diehard fan, I’m really sick of it. Sorry if I’m raining on the
parade.of optimism.

Who is optimistic? Realistic maybe, not optimistic. You want to criticize a coach who has been two months on the job, put a staff together and is trying to fill out a roster as best he can, so be it. The players Matt recruited in his first year were exactly the same level player that we are bringing in now, exactly. I was the one who mentioned the word agenda, and said it was either that or you don’t get it. I stand by that statement.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351588

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3126
FWIW and to follow with my favorite spin 'probably not much' to keep it light, but Devale Johnson is tracking a host of St. John's fans and 'sites' on his twitter account.
Do not want to get ahead of my skis on this guy, but damn he looks good.
And wondering if Nick Rutherford commits on his visit, or if the Van Zyl pursuit still has legs.
Interesting days in Johnny-Land.

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351589

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 2543
“The players Matt recruited in his first year were exactly the same level player that we are bringing in now, exactly.”

This right here is something that I think people need to look at. Matt wasn’t bringing big timers in from day 1. In addition to a lot of “wins” by Matt on the recruiting trail, there were plenty of average players as well. Staff needs more time to get rolling to see what they can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen

2019 Transfers 1 year 1 month ago #351593

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2792

MCNPA wrote: “The players Matt recruited in his first year were exactly the same level player that we are bringing in now, exactly.”

This right here is something that I think people need to look at. Matt wasn’t bringing big timers in from day 1. In addition to a lot of “wins” by Matt on the recruiting trail, there were plenty of average players as well. Staff needs more time to get rolling to see what they can do.

Agree.... Outside of LoVett, who fell in our lap, the talent being brought in is on par with what Matt A. was bringing in the first year. The thing is no one on that particular team was even close to Figueroa and Heron (I'll also throw Steere in that equation), which I think will give us a good chance of being competitive.

If we're bringing in similar talent via the 2020 class, then I'll understand the gnashing of teeth. But I think any complaints now are simply jumping the gun. I'll go on record by saying that I feel pretty confident we'll land a handful of top 50-100 HS players (and, probably, a top-flight JUCO player or two) in the '20 class. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I don't think the serving plate will be needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis, Andrew

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight