TOPIC: Defensive effort

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306735

• we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 467

fordham96 wrote:

Moose wrote:

we are sju wrote:
You don't see people wanting Mullin gone????
Start a poll on that one.
It is weird because he is Chris Mullin and Norm was well.....Norm
I get he played here before some were fans but I doubt if Babe Ruth was resurrected to manage the Yankees their fans we start bitching during year 2 of rebuild.
Not saying lifetime but deserved more than you gave Norm out of pure loyalty.

No I didn't see a sizeable number of posters wanting Mullin gone. Granted I don't read the site as much as I used to. I did say MANY asking for staff changes but not firing of Mullin.

I wouldn't say many fans are post Mullin playing days either. I am yes. Mullin is nothing but a name in a record book but still the vast majority of this site are from those days when he played.

He doesn't deserve more than Norm no matter how many points he scored. I can speak to me only and I think I'm pretty damn rational 4 years is more than fair amount in the college game.

Another made up assertion that "so many people are calling for his head." I would beg people to go look at that cesspool Big East Boards and remember after a loss at home to Duke in year 3 where they were down like 15 points in the first few minutes. There were plenty of people calling for Norm Roberts head after that loss and that season, year 3 and he took over an absolutely barren program with NCAA sanctions overhanging them.

I don't understand why Coach Mullin deserves so much more slack relative to previous coaches. Based on what? And btw if Norm or Lavin had been as flat out LAZY in recruiting as much as this current staff the outrage would have been deafening and that is BEFORE you get the abysmal record. BTW Norm was 16-15/7-9 in year 3.

Georgetown fired a pretty successful coach whose father is a LEGEND at Georgetown and still has an administrative position at Georgetown. And I can assure you if they can do that they won't hesitate cutting Patrick Ewing loose if he falters. Obviously Patrick will be given some slack as well but do you really think Georgetown fans won't turn on him if he struggles.

Yes I believe Mullin based on being the Goat for the program deserves a little more time than someone that is not Chris Mullin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SLYFOXX1968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306736

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 240
Mullin has repeatedly said that Shot blocking is a over rated Stat. It gets ooh’s and ahs but, Owens was only blocking 2-3 per game and was a non factor against BE muscle inside the paint .,Him leaving for TT was his decision . I agree , the trade off of not getting him more 3 point shots vs having Figgy and Heron and Dixon involved in the offense , clearly favors the latter and not the former . I hope Owens enjoys TT but, felt he was a bit disloyal . He got great opportunity here under Mullin and to say goodbye was , well, not nice . And , in retrospect , with Keita injured , he would have gotten lots of PT here this season . But, he caught the Lovett fever and left . Adios !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marillac

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306738

• L J S A
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1288

Marillac wrote:
Blocks is an overrated stat. We were ranked 6th in blocks per game last year and 4th the year before that, but we were not a good team either year.

I'd like to see some advanced metrics on blocks. Maybe they exist and I just haven't bothered to look. They are virtually useless if you block the ball out of bounds or right back to the team that you just blocked. But how often are blocks directed toward a teammate or save a game in the last possession of a tie or one-point lead?

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306740

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 787
I can tell you this. Nostalgia wears off really quickly.

That only gets you so far before results start to matter.

Fred Hoiberg was successful at Iowa St not because he was a grad but because he won. And he turned that thing around quickly. I mean Doug McDermott is a terrific well regarded coach and in 4 years at Iowa St he compiled the below record of NO WINNING SEASONS. By year 2 Hoiberg had Iowa St a non-traditional power in the NCAA's and that led to 4 consecutive seasons in the NCAA's before leaving for the Bulls.

2006–07 Iowa State 15–16 6–10 T–7th
2007–08 Iowa State 14–18 4–12 11th
2008–09 Iowa State 15–17 4–12 10th
2009–10 Iowa State 15–17 4–12

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306747

• we are sju
If we don't make tourney this year experiment was failure and should end.
I will say this. No matter what happens I thought the last 2 years though frustrating at times, the teams were enjoyable to watch. Sorry to keep bringing it back to Norm but he was really the only coach here who I absolutely wanted to be fired. His teams were bad and terrible to watch. Don't find that with Mullin even if the results have not been great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, Mike Zaun

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306751

• Redmen88
  • Thank you received: 0
I think the defensive effort has been falling short this year but will give the team the benefit of the doubt until SK returns. Right now they are doubling down on the big man every time and having to rotate quickly. This results in open shots frequently. What does our D look like without having to double the post every time? If we still look bad once SK returns than the D needs to really step up in conference play. You need to sit down all of the players and let them know that if you don't play D than you sit. Yank them quickly and put them back in quickly until it is improves. Run their asses off in practice until the D improves. D is all effort and coach should not be satisfied without 100% effort.

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306752

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 583

we are sju wrote: If we don't make tourney this year experiment was failure and should end.
I will say this. No matter what happens I thought the last 2 years though frustrating at times, the teams were enjoyable to watch. Sorry to keep bringing it back to Norm but he was really the only coach here who I absolutely wanted to be fired. His teams were bad and terrible to watch. Don't find that with Mullin even if the results have not been great.

Were you a fan of SJU when Mullin played?

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306754

• we are sju

Moose wrote:

we are sju wrote: If we don't make tourney this year experiment was failure and should end.

Friend of my Father's sat the bench for Louie in the 70's.
Got us tickets to see this awesome Freshman play when I was like 9 or 10.
Left Alumni Hall as the biggest David Russell fan. The freshman guy bored 9 or 10 year old WASJU.
As I got older and understood basketball a little bit more I soon realized how great Chris Mullin was. Was really cool seeing:
1. ST John's at top of polls.
True disclosure liked Walter Berry more. But even back then I understood this program would never see a player like Mullin ever again. Though I think I can say that about Berry too.

Last edit: by we are sju.

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306755

• Marillac
  • Thank you received: 179

Norm was a disaster. He couldn't coach and he couldn't get great players like every coach before and after him.

Lavin couldn't coach and had a terrible philosophy but he could get some great players. His flaw was not being able to fill out his roster through the transfer game.

Mullin isn't a great coach (not ready to label him a poor coach yet), but he and his staff can get some great players. He and his guys also fill out the roster well via the transfer, so that makes him more likely to be successful than Lavin IMO. It's also reasonable to expect him and his staff to learn and get better with experience.

Mullin employs a system that should be attractive to guys who want to play in the NBA. It's the basketball equivalent of a pro-style scheme. We switch everything on defense to allow guys to highlight (or expose) their defensive versatility instead of using gimmicky defenses like Auburn or Syracuse. On offense bigs are afforded freedom to shoot and drive (more than I'd like).

I think we would have been on the bubble last year if Lovett didn't screw us over. I also think the staff learned a lesson there. Next year the team will be a tournament team IMO and the finally balanced roster should be able to keep the inertia going in a positive direction. It's a lot easier to stay good than become good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Defensive effort 1 week 1 day ago #306756

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 583

we are sju wrote:

Moose wrote:

Friend of my Father's sat the bench for Louie in the 70's.
Got us tickets to see this awesome Freshman play when I was like 9 or 10.
Left Alumni Hall as the biggest David Russell fan. The freshman guy bored 9 or 10 year old WASJU.
As I got older and understood basketball a little bit more I soon realized how great Chris Mullin was. Was really cool seeing:
1. ST John's at top of polls.
True disclosure liked Walter Berry more. But even back then I understood this program would never see a player like Mullin ever again. Though I think I can say that about Berry too.

I get it. He was part of those teams that were special to you. And an integral part. I don't fault anyone for feeling how they do about Mullin. Just wish more of those fans didn't fault others who have no affinity to Chris Mullin at all. We don't pick the year we're born
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul