Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306492

  • ron
  • ron    's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 709
  • Thank you received: 362

Mean Gene wrote: Totally embarrassing first half defensively!! Unacceptable!! We shoot 56% from the field with only 5 turnovers and we are only up by 5??? This team plays defense every first half of every game like they’re playing a scrimmage. It’s disgusting! If they do this in conference we are done. You watch schools like Michigan and Virginia and those kids challenge every pass and every shot from opening tip to the closing buzzer. I guess our think they’re too good for that.


Some might say it has something to do with the coaching or lack thereof!
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306493

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3903
  • Thank you received: 762

ron s m wrote:

Mean Gene wrote: Totally embarrassing first half defensively!! Unacceptable!! We shoot 56% from the field with only 5 turnovers and we are only up by 5??? This team plays defense every first half of every game like they’re playing a scrimmage. It’s disgusting! If they do this in conference we are done. You watch schools like Michigan and Virginia and those kids challenge every pass and every shot from opening tip to the closing buzzer. I guess our think they’re too good for that.


Some might say it has something to do with the coaching or lack thereof!


I agree. A Hurley would tell them to close out and they would. Unless of course you think Mullin is encouraging them not to defend jump shooters? Which would be pretty weird since you know he was one of the greatest jump shooters in history.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306494

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7757
  • Thank you received: 2925
Hopefully Mully reads them the riot act in the locker room. Pathetic perimeter defense. Mullin sat both Ponds and Trimble for playing matador defense. Until Clark shows something, anything on the inside he will be as one dimensional as a famous Harvard transfer. We were outrebounded in the first half.
Still, I am not worried since Hofstra fell behind 16-1 in the first half and won by 18. Maryland won by 50. Motivating your players for the 2nd half is a key so let's see if Mully exerts a little tough love.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306495

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1759
  • Thank you received: 1002
Mount:

-29% from 3 coming in
-4.5 hour bus ride to NYC
-Arguably worst D1 team
-One of youngest teams with little exp
-Loses games by avg of 20 pts

Against us:
-7/15 from 3
-50% FG
-5 pt deficit at half

It’s bizarro world where everything is opposite of what should be happening. If we played all top 25 teams maybe we’d win by 20 ppg and win the championship by 40 against Gonzaga.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mean Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306496

  • ron
  • ron    's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 709
  • Thank you received: 362

we are sju wrote:

ron s m wrote:

Mean Gene wrote: Totally embarrassing first half defensively!! Unacceptable!! We shoot 56% from the field with only 5 turnovers and we are only up by 5??? This team plays defense every first half of every game like they’re playing a scrimmage. It’s disgusting! If they do this in conference we are done. You watch schools like Michigan and Virginia and those kids challenge every pass and every shot from opening tip to the closing buzzer. I guess our think they’re too good for that.


Some might say it has something to do with the coaching or lack thereof!


I agree. A Hurley would tell them to close out and they would. Unless of course you think Mullin is encouraging them not to defend jump shooters? Which would be pretty weird since you know he was one of the greatest jump shooters in history.


What is infuriating is that we are in year four in not defending the three. We will beat this team handily but bad habits carry over into games where the competition is much better.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, Mean Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306497

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2860
  • Thank you received: 3135
We are sju wrote: It is actually pretty incredible. But you do realize that Mullin is not saying "hey take your time getting out on shooters."

The guys have probably been doing it their whole lives.

But it is up to the staff to cure them of that terrible habit. These kids want to win, we've seen their fight when they get behind. Staff needs to do a better job of getting them ready to play on the defensive end from the start, especially closing out on shooters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, Mean Gene, Adam, Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306498

  • Mean Gene
  • Mean Gene's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2513
  • Thank you received: 522

we are sju wrote:

Mean Gene wrote:

we are sju wrote:

Jack Williams wrote: Ponds clearly scared to shoot cause he doesn’t wanna be called selfish by the Redmen.com faithful


I think he needs to rethink his strategy of taking some games off to let others get going. Needs a better balance. We are not good enough to play w/o him on offense.


Offense is not our issue, Clark , Heron and Figgy have all shot well so far. Our lack of effort on defense is infuriating!!!


It is actually pretty incredible. But you do realize that Mullin is not saying "hey take your time getting out on shooters."

The guys have probably been doing it their whole lives.


Agreed on that, but these guys need to realize that this is not AAU. Guys need to benched if they are not going to give effort on defense. If it costs us a game at this point just to teach these self proclaimed hall of famers that we obviously have on our team then so be it. Our guys would not play for Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo or John Belien of Michigan. They would be put on the bench until their defensive effort improves

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306499

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4121
  • Thank you received: 1167

we are sju wrote:

Mean Gene wrote:

we are sju wrote:

Jack Williams wrote: Ponds clearly scared to shoot cause he doesn’t wanna be called selfish by the Redmen.com faithful


I think he needs to rethink his strategy of taking some games off to let others get going. Needs a better balance. We are not good enough to play w/o him on offense.


Offense is not our issue, Clark , Heron and Figgy have all shot well so far. Our lack of effort on defense is infuriating!!!


It is actually pretty incredible. But you do realize that Mullin is not saying "hey take your time getting out on shooters."

The guys have probably been doing it their whole lives.


What are he coaches for if they don’t fix it?? Teams like Michigan go out and fix it.. would
Anybody have played for Jim Calhoun without fixing it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MCNPA.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306500

  • Mean Gene
  • Mean Gene's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2513
  • Thank you received: 522
No effort boxing out either!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 5 months 2 weeks ago #306501

  • Redman#13
  • Redman#13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 331
  • Thank you received: 62
Do some of you really believe the staff says nothing about closing out on shooters?

Its up to the players to execute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter