Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306708

  • fordham96
  • fordham96's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1101
  • Thank you received: 787

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

thetux1 wrote: We dropped 38 spots in the RPI playing this game which was 100 times more difficult than it should have been. Everyone is complaining about closing out on 3 point shooters but damn we could use a rim protector. Thank you Tariq Owens


The degree of difficulty in winning a game against a vastly inferior opponent takes a toll. Other than being undefeated the press has not been kind to this team. When your tallest "active" player is a 6'7 small forward and your bench consists entirely of THREE guards who are very average players expect very little positive outlooks regardless of opponent.
That ONE injury causes all this angst reflects on how our roster gets jerry-rigged every season.
.


But I was told most good teams only play 8-9 guys even when they use all 13 scholarships. So you are saying that good programs should make sure when they use those scholarships they always should have 10-11 solid players that you can use just in case an injury or one kid starts to falter at the expense of another you always have a good pool to pick those 8-9 core kids from. What a concept....


Yeah a concept no one uses
Our problem is not that we only play 7 or 8.
The problem is only one of those guys is over 6-7 and our current 6th and 7th men are not that good. No problem playing 8 if you have 8 solid guys. We have 5 solid guys. Feel free to Bash Mullin on that.


First off I don't know what you mean by we. I don't pretend to be a part of the team.

And that was my entire point. If you have 13 scholarship players you better have at least 10 that are ready to contribute and then from that you pick a rotation. That ALWAYS was my point. That is why I stressed CONSTANTLY they are using all 13 scholarships and are essentially getting NOTHING against very WEAK competition out of 5 spots right now and I would throw Trimble in there to be quite honest as maybe the 6th man giving them little to nothing, You cannot run a big time program and get so little out of the middle to back end of a full 13 man program. It won't work. And this is not year 2 or year 3 this is year 4. The recruiting has been poor period. That was also my larger point and I stand by both points now more than ever. I don't care if they are 8-0, I think you agree with me on that point. 8-0 against this schedule does not prove anything with regards to this recruiting strategy.


You are on a ST John's fan forum even if you aren't much of a fan. So your stance on 'WE" thing is pretty stupid. In fact fans chant "WE ARE ST JOHN'S" at games. I think if you ever go to a game you should take a stand on that one. Tell a bunch of people that They are not ST John's.
As far as an actual point that you tried to make I happen to agree. This roster does not have 8-10 guys that should be playing on a BE rotation on a good team. Jury out on Keita but currently have 5 guys. Now one of the 5 is great, 2 very good and 2 very solid.


I have no idea what this means nor do I understand what NOT using the term WE somehow is a stance on your fandom. But congratulations. My point stands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306713

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3421
  • Thank you received: 467

fordham96 wrote:

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

thetux1 wrote: We dropped 38 spots in the RPI playing this game which was 100 times more difficult than it should have been. Everyone is complaining about closing out on 3 point shooters but damn we could use a rim protector. Thank you Tariq Owens


The degree of difficulty in winning a game against a vastly inferior opponent takes a toll. Other than being undefeated the press has not been kind to this team. When your tallest "active" player is a 6'7 small forward and your bench consists entirely of THREE guards who are very average players expect very little positive outlooks regardless of opponent.
That ONE injury causes all this angst reflects on how our roster gets jerry-rigged every season.
.


But I was told most good teams only play 8-9 guys even when they use all 13 scholarships. So you are saying that good programs should make sure when they use those scholarships they always should have 10-11 solid players that you can use just in case an injury or one kid starts to falter at the expense of another you always have a good pool to pick those 8-9 core kids from. What a concept....


Yeah a concept no one uses
Our problem is not that we only play 7 or 8.
The problem is only one of those guys is over 6-7 and our current 6th and 7th men are not that good. No problem playing 8 if you have 8 solid guys. We have 5 solid guys. Feel free to Bash Mullin on that.


First off I don't know what you mean by we. I don't pretend to be a part of the team.

And that was my entire point. If you have 13 scholarship players you better have at least 10 that are ready to contribute and then from that you pick a rotation. That ALWAYS was my point. That is why I stressed CONSTANTLY they are using all 13 scholarships and are essentially getting NOTHING against very WEAK competition out of 5 spots right now and I would throw Trimble in there to be quite honest as maybe the 6th man giving them little to nothing, You cannot run a big time program and get so little out of the middle to back end of a full 13 man program. It won't work. And this is not year 2 or year 3 this is year 4. The recruiting has been poor period. That was also my larger point and I stand by both points now more than ever. I don't care if they are 8-0, I think you agree with me on that point. 8-0 against this schedule does not prove anything with regards to this recruiting strategy.


You are on a ST John's fan forum even if you aren't much of a fan. So your stance on 'WE" thing is pretty stupid. In fact fans chant "WE ARE ST JOHN'S" at games. I think if you ever go to a game you should take a stand on that one. Tell a bunch of people that They are not ST John's.
As far as an actual point that you tried to make I happen to agree. This roster does not have 8-10 guys that should be playing on a BE rotation on a good team. Jury out on Keita but currently have 5 guys. Now one of the 5 is great, 2 very good and 2 very solid.


I have no idea what this means nor do I understand what NOT using the term WE somehow is a stance on your fandom. But congratulations. My point stands.


From the time people started rooting for teams fans refer to the team as "we". In other news that you might have missed water is wet. Your anti- we stance is just strange. Which is ok. I have peccadilloes as well. Things that bother me about accepted behavior. The difference is I don't try to preach them in snarky ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306716

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7062
  • Thank you received: 2111
Weare sju wrote "Jury out on Keita but currently have 5 guys. Now one of the 5 is great, 2 very good and 2 very solid."

So, you are saying the Wonder Five we are not and the Fab Five is a pipe dream. I guess that's why we will be content with an NCAA tournament invitation and winning ONE game.
In reality, of the 5 players you categorized it seems every game a couple of them have below par games and the 6th or 7th man do not make up for the talent short fall after they are substituted. They all can shoot like Mikey Dixon but the all-around game is missing. Hopefully the players will improve in practices but some God given talent is missing and you only find that by tireless recruiting. I find it ironic that fans defend Mullin for not utilizing Josh Roberts and even suggesting he or Williams red shirt. Players in their ranked player position categories are getting extended minutes in other programs. I don't get the impression Mullin and staff are into long term player development given the record number of players who have transferred out in favor of transfers in. If that's the case, just offer the ships to some grad transfers or jucos.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Class of 72.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306721

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3421
  • Thank you received: 467

Class of 72 wrote: Weare sju wrote "Jury out on Keita but currently have 5 guys. Now one of the 5 is great, 2 very good and 2 very solid."

So, you are saying the Wonder Five we are not and the Fab Five is a pipe dream. I guess that's why we will be content with an NCAA tournament invitation and winning ONE game.
In reality, of the 5 players you categorized it seems every game a couple of them have below par games and the 6th or 7th man do not make up for the talent short fall after they are substituted. They all can shoot like Mikey Dixon but the all-around game is missing. Hopefully the players will improve in practices but some God given talent is missing and you only find that by tireless recruiting. I find it ironic that fans defend Mullin for not utilizing Josh Roberts and even suggesting he or Williams red shirt. Players in their ranked player position categories are getting extended minutes in other programs. I don't get the impression Mullin and staff are into long term player development given the record number of players who have transferred out in favor of transfers in. If that's the case, just offer the ships to some grad transfers or jucos.


See I don't find your complaints as tiresome as I do others. But seriously what coach have you liked? And you are a fan since at least since 72 and I am sure before. I go back to Mullin's frosh season as a kid. So in what universe is making the NCAA tourney not a successful season for us?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by we are sju.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306722

  • Adam
  • Adam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1335
  • Thank you received: 215
One final note I wanted to add:

While I'm glad we won, hopefully in the future we limit these games against abysmal opponents. Especially for an experienced team like us, they don't help us or our schedule. The opposing teams are always extra amped up since they have no expectations to win or even be competitive. Kind of like us last year when we played Duke/Nova, or Syracuse during Mullin's first two years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Adam.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306724

  • Enright
  • Enright's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 796
  • Thank you received: 166
This terribly soft schedule concocted by who knows who seems to have backfired. The wins are there but the lack of effort is obvious. As SJC posted when did you ever see a player as Ponds did last night pass up a layup a couple of times to pass the ball out to the corner when the game was still in doubt?
Is the team so over confident? Hopefully MSG will bring out the best in them although the schedule maker has come up with a lousy double header so the atmosphere will probably be bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306726

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10318
  • Thank you received: 1994

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

we are sju wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

thetux1 wrote: We dropped 38 spots in the RPI playing this game which was 100 times more difficult than it should have been. Everyone is complaining about closing out on 3 point shooters but damn we could use a rim protector. Thank you Tariq Owens


The degree of difficulty in winning a game against a vastly inferior opponent takes a toll. Other than being undefeated the press has not been kind to this team. When your tallest "active" player is a 6'7 small forward and your bench consists entirely of THREE guards who are very average players expect very little positive outlooks regardless of opponent.
That ONE injury causes all this angst reflects on how our roster gets jerry-rigged every season.
.


But I was told most good teams only play 8-9 guys even when they use all 13 scholarships. So you are saying that good programs should make sure when they use those scholarships they always should have 10-11 solid players that you can use just in case an injury or one kid starts to falter at the expense of another you always have a good pool to pick those 8-9 core kids from. What a concept....


Yeah a concept no one uses
Our problem is not that we only play 7 or 8.
The problem is only one of those guys is over 6-7 and our current 6th and 7th men are not that good. No problem playing 8 if you have 8 solid guys. We have 5 solid guys. Feel free to Bash Mullin on that.


First off I don't know what you mean by we. I don't pretend to be a part of the team.

And that was my entire point. If you have 13 scholarship players you better have at least 10 that are ready to contribute and then from that you pick a rotation. That ALWAYS was my point. That is why I stressed CONSTANTLY they are using all 13 scholarships and are essentially getting NOTHING against very WEAK competition out of 5 spots right now and I would throw Trimble in there to be quite honest as maybe the 6th man giving them little to nothing, You cannot run a big time program and get so little out of the middle to back end of a full 13 man program. It won't work. And this is not year 2 or year 3 this is year 4. The recruiting has been poor period. That was also my larger point and I stand by both points now more than ever. I don't care if they are 8-0, I think you agree with me on that point. 8-0 against this schedule does not prove anything with regards to this recruiting strategy.


You are on a ST John's fan forum even if you aren't much of a fan. So your stance on 'WE" thing is pretty stupid. In fact fans chant "WE ARE ST JOHN'S" at games. I think if you ever go to a game you should take a stand on that one. Tell a bunch of people that They are not ST John's.
As far as an actual point that you tried to make I happen to agree. This roster does not have 8-10 guys that should be playing on a BE rotation on a good team. Jury out on Keita but currently have 5 guys. Now one of the 5 is great, 2 very good and 2 very solid.


I have no idea what this means nor do I understand what NOT using the term WE somehow is a stance on your fandom. But congratulations. My point stands.


From the time people started rooting for teams fans refer to the team as "we". In other news that you might have missed water is wet. Your anti- we stance is just strange. Which is ok. I have peccadilloes as well. Things that bother me about accepted behavior. The difference is I don't try to preach them in snarky ways.

Count me in the WE category
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306728

  • Jack Williams
  • Jack Williams's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4708
  • Thank you received: 158
Are we really arguing about why our rosters aren't as well put together as Duke and Nova? Not only have both of those teams won championships, but they won in the last 5-6 years. That will always make recruiting easier.

We haven't even won a tournament game in years and recruiting is not as easy for us. So our rosters are not as perfect and don't have a nice bow on top. You can't just snap your fingers and get excellence, it has to be built up by consistent and consecutive seasons with a lot of winning be done. These HS recruits don't owe us shit because we were good in the 80s. Matter of fact, i can promise they don't even know or care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, capmaker, Redman#13, Chris7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306730

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3421
  • Thank you received: 467

Jack Williams wrote: Are we really arguing about why our rosters aren't as well put together as Duke and Nova? Not only have both of those teams won championships, but they won in the last 5-6 years. That will always make recruiting easier.

We haven't even won a tournament game in years and recruiting is not as easy for us. So our rosters are not as perfect and don't have a nice bow on top. You can't just snap your fingers and get excellence, it has to be built up by consistent and consecutive seasons with a lot of winning be done. These HS recruits don't owe us shit because we were good in the 80s. Matter of fact, i can promise they don't even know or care.


See I can accept the roster imbalance gripe. But yes comparing us to very successful programs in how they roster build is unfair. I for one understand that we won't have a cheeseburger all American as our 7th man just waiting around waiting to contribute. But I do feel we could have gotten a 6-8 guy that can play 10-12 mins that would be better than Dixon or Trimble. I watch some of these mid major teams and they seem to find those guys. Again going back to Norm and every coach since it seems we are just trying to find talent and then find ourselves scrambling to put together the back end of the roster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount St. Mary's, Wed. Dec. 5, 6:30p, FS-2 / 970 WNYM 1 week 1 day ago #306746

  • Chris7
  • Chris7's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 662
  • Thank you received: 65

Jack Williams wrote: Are we really arguing about why our rosters aren't as well put together as Duke and Nova? Not only have both of those teams won championships, but they won in the last 5-6 years. That will always make recruiting easier.

We haven't even won a tournament game in years and recruiting is not as easy for us. So our rosters are not as perfect and don't have a nice bow on top. You can't just snap your fingers and get excellence, it has to be built up by consistent and consecutive seasons with a lot of winning be done. These HS recruits don't owe us shit because we were good in the 80s. Matter of fact, i can promise they don't even know or care.


Completely agree. That was my point. Fordham96 claimed that we should have 10 ready to play scholarship guys. It doesn't work like that, even with the big programs, there are not 10 "ready to play" guys. And by ready to play I mean start a game and make waves in it. Part of college bball is the fact that these young kids are not ready to play and develop throughout the year(s).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.


If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:


Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul