Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: When Keita Returns

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306775

  • RJGBOOTSY
  • RJGBOOTSY's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 303
  • Thank you received: 185

Paultzman wrote:

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Not close to practicing yet, according to Braziller, so patience suggested.


Hopefully, with another 2 weeks of rehab and a week of practice he will be ready to go against SH.

Sparingly I would think in that case.


5-10 minutes would be perfect.Just need his size and presence around the rim on defense. grand some rebounds, set some screens on offense and play good interior D. Keeping my fingers crossed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306803

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1678
  • Thank you received: 367

Paultzman wrote:

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Not close to practicing yet, according to Braziller, so patience suggested.


Hopefully, with another 2 weeks of rehab and a week of practice he will be ready to go against SH.

Sparingly I would think in that case.


The last thing we need to do is rush him back for some arbitrary deadline and have him reinjure himself. When he's ready he's ready, period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: capmaker, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Redman#13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306804

  • RJGBOOTSY
  • RJGBOOTSY's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 303
  • Thank you received: 185

Section9 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Not close to practicing yet, according to Braziller, so patience suggested.


Hopefully, with another 2 weeks of rehab and a week of practice he will be ready to go against SH.

Sparingly I would think in that case.


The last thing we need to do is rush him back for some arbitrary deadline and have him reinjure himself. When he's ready he's ready, period.


That is why I used the word " hopefully". Not looking for any rush or suffer another setback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306805

  • Marillac
  • Marillac's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5645
  • Thank you received: 1198

Section9 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Not close to practicing yet, according to Braziller, so patience suggested.


Hopefully, with another 2 weeks of rehab and a week of practice he will be ready to go against SH.

Sparingly I would think in that case.


The last thing we need to do is rush him back for some arbitrary deadline and have him reinjure himself. When he's ready he's ready, period.


I don't think the deadline is that arbitrary. He's not need the next four game and is very needed after that :)

Hopefully he is ready to practice lightly next week and we are able to slowly introduce him a game or two before SH. We can slow down the tempo while he's in.

Just 8 minutes or so v. Seton Hall can mean the difference between our "bigs" being well rested and out of foul trouble or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306807

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2860
  • Thank you received: 3135
Original word was he'd be out 4-6 weeks after his November 14th surgery. That would say around 12/12 on the aggressive side and 12/26 on the conservative side. I'd be very happy if he were ready to play a few minutes in our last game before the Hall on 12/22. But also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until after the Hall game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ Hidell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306812

  • Dan V
  • Dan V's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 452
  • Thank you received: 300

NCJohnnie wrote: Original word was he'd be out 4-6 weeks after his November 14th surgery. That would say around 12/12 on the aggressive side and 12/26 on the conservative side. I'd be very happy if he were ready to play a few minutes in our last game before the Hall on 12/22. But also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until after the Hall game.

I think he'll be back against G'town but that's just my gut feeling. The SHU game will be tough at the Prudential, haven't beat them in their house since 2014. We should be favored but I wouldn't be suprised if we drop that game. We need to handle our business at home and beat Marquette. I'll take the split (1-1) going into DC, with Keita hopefully ready to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306815

  • Johnny4Life
  • Johnny4Life's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 77
  • Thank you received: 24

Dan V wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Original word was he'd be out 4-6 weeks after his November 14th surgery. That would say around 12/12 on the aggressive side and 12/26 on the conservative side. I'd be very happy if he were ready to play a few minutes in our last game before the Hall on 12/22. But also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until after the Hall game.

I think he'll be back against G'town but that's just my gut feeling. The SHU game will be tough at the Prudential, haven't beat them in their house since 2014. We should be favored but I wouldn't be suprised if we drop that game. We need to handle our business at home and beat Marquette. I'll take the split (1-1) going into DC, with Keita hopefully ready to go.


I think we will be able to hold our own against SH with the team we have. However, we will need Keita against Govan and GT. So as long as he's back by that game, we should be good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #306971

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4186
  • Thank you received: 868

Johnny4Life wrote:

Dan V wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Original word was he'd be out 4-6 weeks after his November 14th surgery. That would say around 12/12 on the aggressive side and 12/26 on the conservative side. I'd be very happy if he were ready to play a few minutes in our last game before the Hall on 12/22. But also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until after the Hall game.

I think he'll be back against G'town but that's just my gut feeling. The SHU game will be tough at the Prudential, haven't beat them in their house since 2014. We should be favored but I wouldn't be suprised if we drop that game. We need to handle our business at home and beat Marquette. I'll take the split (1-1) going into DC, with Keita hopefully ready to go.


I think we will be able to hold our own against SH with the team we have. However, we will need Keita against Govan and GT. So as long as he's back by that game, we should be good.

Seton Hall's not a very good team, but they have enough size up front to give us big problems. (Watch: 6'-10" Syracuse transfer Taurean Thompson, who's been a big bust so far this year, will probably have a breakout game against us.) Love it when we beat SH, but am not expecting a win in Newark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #307056

  • Section3
  • Section3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2125
  • Thank you received: 353

Marillac wrote:

ron s m wrote:

Marillac wrote:

Section9 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: More Zach B
Surprising St. John's stats: Five games since Sedee Keita was hurt, have been out-rebounded by just one and are plus-three on offensive glass. #sjubb


How is that possible?


Gang rebounding. It's a great mindset when you don't have big men to rely on.


Playing weak teams helps also.


Rebounding is about effort not talent. We haven't been the biggest team in any game this year.

Yep. Good defense and Rebounding happen when you see the linkage to winning and not as something that happens in between trips down court on offense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Keita Returns 5 months 2 weeks ago #307057

  • Section3
  • Section3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2125
  • Thank you received: 353

Paul Massell wrote: In positionless basketball the way Mullin has been playing the "biggest" issue is that as a player you are interchangeable. Everyone expecting traditional big man is missing the point completely. Mullin is playing 5 out. This means EVERY player at all times is constantly reacting and expected to move like a guard starting at the NBA 3pt line. So if you are Keita or Roberts you are expected to play the way Clark has been. You are expected to be able to move, screen, cut (pass and shoot) and face the basket on offense. You square up to the basket to be in triple threat position. There is no back to the basket big man role in this offense. The defense gets drawn out so that they cannot pack the middle and interior scoring is done via cutters and from what we've seen some freelance dribble drive. The ball movement including skip and cross court passing with good spacing is supposed to create higher efficiency scoring opportunities - better shots. So the issues with Roberts I suspect are more to do with his grasp of this and maybe things like his ball control and always being in the right spot, more than his height or shot blocking abilities. This is what I was referring to when I previously commented on the game being fast for Roberts and Williams. In the 5 out you need to have an instinctual flow from the players. They need to react knowing what the other players are doing. The more you have that flow and chemistry the more effective it is. When guys are lost or slow to react, it kills it. So it is always 5 best guys.

On defense the way Mullin has been playing them it is similar. Everyone is constantly switching. So while for us guys above 35 it seems fantastical for Mikey Dixon to be guarding the biggest player on the opposing team, this is expected in the switching defense and why it wasn't totally unexpected that he'd be subbed in when Clark fouled out.

Not saying that I love this but for the personnel that we have it makes sense and this is what Mullin is doing.

I think the transitory nature of college BBall rosters makes achieving instinctual execution tougher. Not impossible but probably takes more time for new additions to be integrated and to reach the level of chemistry and efficiency needed to be successful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter