Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 9 months 3 days ago #315131

  • Moon Mullen
  • Moon Mullen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 211
  • Thank you received: 77

$Bill wrote: 1st game Army Vs SJU 67/68 season as part of my baseball recruitment visit.
Most memorable (69/70 season) at SJU vs Yugoslavia national team. Mel Davis knocked out their center right before the half with one punch.


Wow, Army game was my first as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RJGBOOTSY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 8 months 9 hours ago #323800

  • Marillac
  • Marillac's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5645
  • Thank you received: 1198
The first game I saw in person was St. John’s-Seton Hall at MSG when I was in high school.

I went to the game myself because none of my friends were St. John’s fans. I got a student discount even though I looked 12 because the ticket window employee asked if I was as a student and I replied yes not understanding she meant a St. John’s student.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 4 weeks ago #324099

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5154
  • Thank you received: 1155
SJU vs. Harvard at Alumni Hall in Dec. 1969. Jumping Joe DePre and Billy Paultz team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 4 weeks ago #324103

  • Jeff Smith
  • Jeff Smith's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 16
1976 against Rutgers at Alumni Hall. Eddie Jordan claimed in the newspaper that day that RU owned NYC. There was a banner hanging that said, "Jordan, the only city you own is Bayonne." SJ won big.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 4 weeks ago #324126

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7870
  • Thank you received: 3061

$Bill wrote: 1st game Army Vs SJU 67/68 season as part of my baseball recruitment visit.
Most memorable (69/70 season) at SJU vs Yugoslavia national team. Mel Davis knocked out their center right before the half with one punch.


I don't recall Mel knocking out a Yugoslav player during that time but I was at the exhibition game where we played the Italian national team and Mel knocked out Dino Meneghin who was their star center. They eventually made up when Mel played in Italy.

museodelbasket-milano.it/leggi.php?s=&idcontenuti=253
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjqueens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 3 weeks ago #324928

  • gonzalo
  • gonzalo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 780
  • Thank you received: 195

Class of 72 wrote:
I don't recall Mel knocking out a Yugoslav player during that time but I was at the exhibition game where we played the Italian national team and Mel knocked out Dino Meneghin who was their star center. They eventually made up when Mel played in Italy.

museodelbasket-milano.it/leggi.php?s=&idcontenuti=253


Dino Meneghin was the European Bill Laimbeer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 3 weeks ago #324934

  • rawdognyc
  • rawdognyc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1401
  • Thank you received: 522
I can't remember the first game I watched on television, however I know the first games I saw live were when I was 12. The first Alumni Hall game was against Providence (Austin Croshere) in February 1994. I remember we won the game. Not sure of the final score. Then my first away game my brother took me to was at The Brendan Byrne Arena against Seton Hall in February of that year too. We lost that one. Lastly my first MSG game was a loss to Villanova in 95.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 7 months 3 weeks ago #325322

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4257
  • Thank you received: 938

rawdognyc wrote: I can't remember the first game I watched on television, however I know the first games I saw live were when I was 12. The first Alumni Hall game was against Providence (Austin Croshere) in February 1994. I remember we won the game. Not sure of the final score. Then my first away game my brother took me to was at The Brendan Byrne Arena against Seton Hall in February of that year too. We lost that one. Lastly my first MSG game was a loss to Villanova in 95.

Jeez, but I'm feeling ancient. I've got shoes that are older than Austin Croshere. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight