Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 3 months 21 hours ago #304137

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9221

Beast of the East wrote:

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote: Player you mention on army was Clem? Brundige (sp) he was a beast.

Dont think that was his first name. They have a very good forward, gary something?

Winton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 3 months 21 hours ago #304151

• RJGBOOTSY
  • Thank you received: 163
Clennie was his first name. Played for. Coach K. Was an outstanding football player and solid basketball player. Was a force underneath watched him many times

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 3 weeks ago #304786

• gman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 402
I have no idea the first game I saw. I’ve basically gone my whole life. I have memories of the late 80s players like Brust and Glass. I was a fan of he hustle of burst. The first game I really remember was Malik Sealys big game in the Lapchick tourney. My brother was a ball boy either that year or the next. I remember him trying to help Rob Werdann off he floor and him rag dolling my 100lb brother. I also remember us trouncing UConn at the garden when they were really good. Equally I remember the embarssing loss to Miami. And I remember way too many games vs. Marathon Oil.

My first memory was running around the award dinner in 1986 getting the players to sign the program. I was 6 then.

I also have fond memories of my dad talking about the Holiday Festival at the old garden vs. Princeton et al. He still gushes about it if you ask him.

Last edit: by gman.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 3 weeks ago #305280

• djramps
  • Thank you received: 4
Gman, I remember Malik going off that game of the Lapchick. I was there with my Dad, Malik was in such a zone that day and he was just such a smooth player. I was also at the game where Ponds broke Sealys scoring record last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gman

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 4 days ago #308707

• kevin n kamper
  • Thank you received: 0
January 26, 1980 was my first game at alumni hall First year of the big east conference Louie versus Rollie. I was hooked. My second game was the famous reggie carter vrs Louis Orr game against syracuse at alumni hall. Standing room seats. If only Ron Plair had hit those foul shots. Still thought it was a charge.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 4 days ago #308709

• tim23red
I was appoximate 6 at the time...but I believe it was a teiple heade4 [with a free boxed linch] at Nassau Coliseum vs. Notre Dame...I believe the score was ND 82 or SJU 80 but I couls be wrong. I was 6 and I am 53 now.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 4 days ago #308723

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 930

kevin n kamper wrote: January 26, 1980 was my first game at alumni hall First year of the big east conference Louie versus Rollie. I was hooked. My second game was the famous reggie carter vrs Louis Orr game against syracuse at alumni hall. Standing room seats. If only Ron Plair had hit those foul shots. Still thought it was a charge.

Believe it was Bernard Rencher who missed the foul shot and please explain to me what a standing room seat is. ;) :)

Last edit: by bamafan.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 4 days ago #308727

• kevin n kamper
My memory failed here. It was Rencher who missed
story on the game here
www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/19...m_term=.e425b41d09d9

Until the fire commissioner stopped the practice around 1985 , when all the seats at alumni hall sold out, they sold about 500 standing room tickets. Standing room was at the top row of the arena on both sides and on the sides as well. I think the tickets cost five dollars.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 3 days ago #308758

• $Bill
1st game Army Vs SJU 67/68 season as part of my baseball recruitment visit.
Most memorable (69/70 season) at SJU vs Yugoslavia national team. Mel Davis knocked out their center right before the half with one punch.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 1 month 6 days ago #315120

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9221

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com.

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul