Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 4 weeks ago #298836

• SJUNC
  • Thank you received: 111
One of the more painful games I attended

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 4 weeks ago #298842

• redken
  • Thank you received: 866

greatnecker wrote: February 27, 1983 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. 71-70 OT Villanova victory on buzzer shot by John Pinone. Mullin had just broken a 69-69 tie by making the first of two free throws. Granger took the ball up and passed to Pinone. Louie v Rollie. Mullin had 24 that game.

Pinone was a helluva good player, very sound, very solid -- three-time All-East and third-team AA in his senior year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 4 weeks ago #298886

• djramps
  • Thank you received: 25
First game I saw in person, I was 8 years old it was the 1982 Lapchick finals vs Ohio. However I remember watching the North Carolina game they won in OT before the lapchick with my Dad. I am sure I watched many other games with my Dad but that was the first one I remember.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 2 weeks ago #300416

• douga
  • Thank you received: 1
Started at SJU in Sept. '63. Don't remember first game, but 3 games stand out:
1. NIT final against Villanova in Dec 65
2. Home game against Miami and Rick Barry (I think we won 79-77 and he had 39 or so points)
3. Away game in I think '67 against Syracuse at Manley Field House with the winner probably getting the at large bid to the NCAA's. Syracuse was 18-3 and we were I think 18-4. Huge game from Sonny and we won by I think 6 points. Was glad to get out of there alive !!!!! :) :) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 2 weeks ago #300446

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2534
Like many Queens kids in an era of one car households, when your big brother gets his license and his own car, it opens up a world of opportunities for you.

In my case, the only basketball I really knew as a young teenager was the NBA and the Knicks. St. John's? Sometimes on television, not often, but I kind of knew it was somewhat big time.

My brother asked if I wanted to go to a game, and I thought that was great, venturing out a whole 6 or 7 miles by car to the Jamaica campus to see St. John's battle Army. I still remember exactly where we sat, in the upper level on the Grand Central Pkway side of the arena.

Army in those days had a few talented players, and if I'm not mistaken at least one forward who was a tackle on the football team who was a monster.

It was my first college game, and I loved every minute. We lost on a very late turnover by our point guard, and I remember commenting to my brother about how his career would be over. (It wasn't of course).

I saw 3 Hall of fame coaches that day on the court who have totalled almost 2500 wins, and had no idea that it would never be seen again.

Even more importantly, I had no clue that just a few short years later I'd be a student at this great school, something I wouldn't have dreamed of as a high school kid.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 1 day ago #303566

• Greg
  • Thank you received: 8
The first game I went to was against Hofstra at Alumni Hall in 96. Besides winning the game the best part was meeting Father James Maher (campus minister & now president of Niagara) He introduced me to Lopez who took the time to hang-out as well as coach Fraschilla. All around great experience, became a die hard after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 1 day ago #303655

• terrificboss
  • Thank you received: 44
My Dad took me to the Army game coached by Coach K on 12/6/77 at Carnesecca. A SJU win! I went many times after as I went to SJU. I have been a season ticket holder on and off for the last 37 years(on the last 12!). Go SJU!
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 1 day ago #303904

• RJGBOOTSY
  • Thank you received: 185
Player you mention on army was Clem? Brundige (sp) he was a beast.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 22 hours ago #304132

• Beast of the East

Ralph Joseph Giordano wrote: Player you mention on army was Clem? Brundige (sp) he was a beast.

Dont think that was his first name. They have a very good forward, gary something?

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 6 months 22 hours ago #304134

• Beast of the East
Wow great memory clennie brundige. Star was gary winton circa 1976

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter