Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297280

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4223
  • Thank you received: 903

panther2 wrote: I remember going to a game when Tony Jackson was a senior. He put on a show. Not sure who it was against.

The game that I remember the most was Joe Lapchick's last game as St. Johns coach in 1965. I was a senior in high school and went to the NIT Championship game at the Old Madison Square Garden. We beat Villanova who had Wali Jones, Jim Washington, and George Leftwich. We had the McIntyre brothers, Cleuss, and my good friend Sonny Dove. It was a hell of a game. I was happy to see Coach Lapchick go out on top.

On a side note, I was probably the only Black kid who wanted to be Kenny McIntyre, lol.

A great win, Panther, especially for Coach Lapchick's final game. One thing: Wali Jones wasn't on that team (he had graduated the previous year). The backcourt star for Nova was Bill Melchionni, who averaged about 20 ppg. Luckily for us, I believe Melchionni didn't see many minutes in that game because he injured himself in the semis. (Good to read you were close to Sonny Dove, my favorite Redmen. A large, framed photo of him skying over two Cincinnati players in the '64-'65 Holiday Festival is prominently displayed in my apartment, so I think of him -- and "see" him -- every day.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297300

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3903
  • Thank you received: 762
Early in Mullin's Frosh season at Alumni Hall against Manhattan I think. Family friend had played for ST John's and got us tickets to see Chris Mullin. I was around 8 or 9 and after watching David Russell dunk a few times left the gym with David Russell as my first favorite player and unfortunately for me as a life long Johnnie fan.:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297309

  • jackfro
  • jackfro's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 20
  • Thank you received: 14
Feb 1960, night doubleheader at the old MSG. First game was Manhattan vs West Va with Jerry West . Second game was SJU with Tony Jackson and Leroy Ellis vs NYU. Place was a sellout and the atmosphere was electric.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297327

  • fan since 65
  • fan since 65's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 134
  • Thank you received: 18
Contrary to my name here, it was at the Holiday Festival in December 1964 vs. BC at the Garden. My brother was a freshmen and I was a mere lad of 9.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297330

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4223
  • Thank you received: 903

jackfro wrote: Feb 1960, night doubleheader at the old MSG. First game was Manhattan vs West Va with Jerry West . Second game was SJU with Tony Jackson and Leroy Ellis vs NYU. Place was a sellout and the atmosphere was electric.

Jackfro, like mine, your memory might be a tad foggy on those long-ago games. Sports-reference.com has the match-ups for that February 11, 1960 MSG doubleheader as St. John's vs. UWV (we won) and NYU vs. Manhattan (Violets won). The players you cited did in fact participate, as did NYU's "Satch" Sanders, who averaged 21 ppg & 15 rpg, so no doubt you were right-on about the electric atmosphere. (Incidentally, Jim Larranaga's brother Bob was a bench player on our squad.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297382

  • fuchsia
  • fuchsia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1381
  • Thank you received: 192

redken wrote:

jackfro wrote: Feb 1960, night doubleheader at the old MSG. First game was Manhattan vs West Va with Jerry West . Second game was SJU with Tony Jackson and Leroy Ellis vs NYU. Place was a sellout and the atmosphere was electric.

Jackfro, like mine, your memory might be a tad foggy on those long-ago games. Sports-reference.com has the match-ups for that February 11, 1960 MSG doubleheader as St. John's vs. UWV (we won) and NYU vs. Manhattan (Violets won). The players you cited did in fact participate, as did NYU's "Satch" Sanders, who averaged 21 ppg & 15 rpg, so no doubt you were right-on about the electric atmosphere. (Incidentally, Jim Larranaga's brother Bob was a bench player on our squad.)


Was that the game with the big fight with Cal Ramsey coming out of the stands and the NYU people putting Satch under the scorers table to keep him from getting hurt. NYU beat WVU to go to final four and then lost to Ohio State when Al Barden missed 12 open jump shots as Havlicek doubled Satch who was eating Jerry Lucas' lunch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297426

  • SI1996
  • SI1996's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1904
  • Thank you received: 220
C'mon no one out there from the Claude Allen or Buck Freeman era.. Don't be shy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297431

  • TheSummit
  • TheSummit's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Thank you received: 30
Fordham vs SJU, Feb 1975 at MSG. Mel Utley, Beaver Smith, and George Johnson playing. Fordham kept it close, with SJU eventually winning by 10. Always preferred MSG to Alumni Hall, now Carnesecca Arena.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 2 weeks ago #297447

  • jackfro
  • jackfro's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 20
  • Thank you received: 14
Redken you are correct. I had the matchups reversed. Must have been because I was dressed as Marc Anthony and my fellow pledges were also in costume as it was hazing time and our frat decide to take us all to the game!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 10 months 1 week ago #297452

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4223
  • Thank you received: 903

jackfro wrote: Redken you are correct. I had the matchups reversed. Must have been because I was dressed as Marc Anthony and my fellow pledges were also in costume as it was hazing time and our frat decide to take us all to the game!

Lol. (And are you suggesting that attending a St. John's game is another form of hazing?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter