Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297171

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 2001

SI1996 wrote: Boy I love these threads when I feel like I am getting old :)

wait till you see a post when their first game was when Mullin or Lavin was coach. Then you will really feel freaking old :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297176

• SI1996
  • Thank you received: 137

mjmaherjr wrote:

wait till you see a post when their first game was when Mullin or Lavin was coach. Then you will really feel freaking old :)

I am amazed about how much everyone can remember from so long ago and this is me this week with my son...

Dad: What do you want for lunch tomorrow.
Son:Same as yesterday.
Dad: What did I make you yesterday?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Chicago Days

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297177

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 2001

SI1996 wrote:

mjmaherjr wrote:

I am amazed about how much everyone can remember from so long ago and this is me this week with my son...

Dad: What do you want for lunch tomorrow.
Son:Same as yesterday.
Dad: What did I make you yesterday?

Haaa I'm getting there too. I never remember what I had the day before or that week even unless a pic of it is on my phone. The only reason I remember my first time seeing sju on tv was it was during that time I became a Phi Slamma Jamma Houston Cougar fan for those Akeem years. I still remember my first St Johns game at Alumni Hall 87-88 season my senior HS year but have no clue which was the next game after that during that season or even if there was another game that I went to that season before going to school there the following year

That's why I'm never moving from 114 at MSG. If I moved to 116 or 112 or something it would turn my life upside down trying to figure out where I was :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SI1996

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297179

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 240
I have many, many exciting memories of St John’s teams , even
before I became a Student in 1964. It might have been 1961 or 1962 and Coach Lapchick brought his team to my High School for a regular Season Practice . I don’t remember all the Players but, the team had LeRoy Ellis, Willie Hall, and a new transfer , Kevin Loughery from BC , who really lit it up in the Scrimmage . My HS was a small, 600 Students , in Suffolk county, . Bayport and none of us could believe the Redmen were there ! As a Freshman in 1965 , I saw the NIT Final vs Villanova in Coach Lapchick’s final season . A 65 -61 Win ! Sonny Dove , Ken and Bobby McIntyre, Gerry Houston, Bobby Duerr beat the Cats with Bill Melchoinni, George Leftwich and Jim Washington . A Great game !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by SLYFOXX1968. Reason: Spelling

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297181

• Section9
  • Thank you received: 246

newsman13 wrote: Against Al McGuire's Belmont Abbey team in '63 or 64. Only McGuire can parlay a six win season at Belmont Abbey to a head coaching job at Marquette.

Sorry, but according to the Red Storm media guide, we never played Belmont Abbey.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297182

• Section9

ron s m wrote: I was at that one! Wasn't that the game where McIntyre scored 40 points?

We only scored 47 in the game.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297183

• Section9
first game I saw was the Loyola game that's been mentioned. Since the Ramblers were #1 the game was broadcast on local TV.
First in-person game 12/3/63, opening game of my Freshman year. We beat GW 82-64. Back in the day you could go to the ticket window game day and snag courtside seats. Get there at 5:30 and watch the Frosh team with Sonny Dove and the stick around for the varsity game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297194

• section10
  • Thank you received: 59
I went to many games in the 63/64 season as a junior at Mater Christi hs.
I saw the 64/65 team at the holiday festival & nit. that hooked me forever.
i went to the holiday festival each year from 63 through 68.
became a season ticket holder in 80/81 season when they announced the formation of big east.
sonny dove was my first favorite johnny.
despite my love of SJU basketball, I graduated Fordham in 1969.
SJU beat Fordham each of my 4 years, by 2 points, 2 pts, 4 pts, 5 pts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Chicago Days

Last edit: by section10.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297197

• Frank61
  • Thank you received: 217
My first game (I had to look in notes I kept as a freshman) was Feb 1958 against W. Virginia in the Garden. We lost 87-78. Seiden, Alfieri.

Last edit: by Frank61.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297198

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 93
NYU with Kramer and Hairston at Alumni vs. Ellis, Hall, Loughery, Burk, Kovac in Spring of 62. We (NYU) lost.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul