Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What was the first St.Johns game you saw ?

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297139

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 356
I have a ticket stub from a game played in December of 1982, which means I went to a game at six months old. I obviously do not remember it.

I have hazy memories of Shelton Jones's senior year, but the Sealy teams were the first teams that I truly remember.

There are pictures in the photo album of me at Pauley Pavillion at 3 years old, when we beat Reggie Miller and UCLA, but first road trip I can remember making was the Boo Harvey game at Georgetown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297140

• troy
  • Thank you received: 3
In the 60’s, Kansas came in as #1 wiggles Jo Jo White and Alvie Schwartz shut him down. On a side note, Alvie was named to the Jewish All American team until he told them he was not Jewish.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297141

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 7009

troy wrote: In the 60’s, Kansas came in as #1 wiggles Jo Jo White and Alvie Schwartz shut him down. On a side note, Alvie was named to the Jewish All American team until he told them he was not Jewish.

Albie

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297143

• redken
  • Thank you received: 557

Paultzman wrote:

troy wrote: In the 60’s, Kansas came in as #1 wiggles Jo Jo White and Alvie Schwartz shut him down. On a side note, Alvie was named to the Jewish All American team until he told them he was not Jewish.

Albie

But Alvie Singer was, of course, Jewish. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297145

• redken

ron s m wrote: I was at that one! Wasn't that the game where McIntyre scored 40 points?

Not sure which game you're referring to, but Kenny Mac hit for something like 42 against Boston College in the 1965 NIT. He couldn't miss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297148

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1473

redken wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Honestly don't recall the first one, but it was definitely Sonny Dove's sophomore year (1964-1965) shortly before the holiday festival where I saw us beat #1 Michigan in the final game which is still probably my favorite moment attending an SJU game in person.

My favorite in-person game as well, NCJohnnie. Huge win! But my first in-person game was 1963, when the Loyola of Chicago Ramblers (who, as Chicago Days remembers well, were on their way to the national title) came into a then-impressive Alumni Hall and crushed Joe Lapchick's only losing team.

Good teams and some great wins in those early 60s!
My first St. John’s game I saw was a TV game, I think it was the 1961-2 teams and LeRoy Ellis was a Senior. We lost! I was still in HS but thinking of going to SJU.
The greatest upset in those years had to be our crunch win against #1 Michigan, led by Cazzie Russell at MSG. Bill Buntin was on that Michigan team as well. I was there too!
Sonny Dove was our prized recruit.
There was another guy on Sonny’s freshman team, a big guy(!), maybe 6’8”, very strong. Forget his name. I think he became academically ineligible and that was it.
Fun years.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297149

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 159
Yes I was there for that game good time for redmentalk fans. Think we won by 1 pt

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297151

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 159
They were special think they both averaged 20 or close to it Kenny shot from deep and Bobby did his thing
from 15 and moves around the basket and rebounded Fun watching that team

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297160

• redken

usguard wrote: They were special think they both averaged 20 or close to it Kenny shot from deep and Bobby did his thing
from 15 and moves around the basket and rebounded Fun watching that team

I was a frosh and I have a very special place in my memory -- and in my heart -- for that team. Got a chance to talk -- and reminisce -- with two of them -- Jerry Houston & Bobby McIntyre -- at last December's Coach Lapchick statue unveiling. They couldn't have been nicer, happily sharing their memories of that team with me. Made my day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Last edit: by redken.

What was the first St.Johns game you saw ? 2 months 1 week ago #297169

• Valgoth
  • Thank you received: 71
not sure but I remember george johnson, bernard rencher and reggie carter , frank alagia and beaver smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul