Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: a lot of endlessly repetitive chatter

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292196

• austour
  • Thank you received: 361

we are sju wrote:

gonzalo wrote:

we are sju wrote: Paultz just to be fair did you know the whereabouts of every other assistant in summers past? Not sure what any assistant besides Matt does. And I only know that because I am pretty sure some on here are on his payroll and keep telling me what he does. Is Richmond a good assistant coach? No idea. But seems fans here are way to preoccupied with our assistant coaches. Never remember this being such an issue before. I think people are looking at this issue as some kind of cure all. We went to Elite 8 with Deuce as an assistant!
Maybe it is me?

The fact that Coach Mullin had no experience gave us the idea that was more necessary an experienced assistant coach.

With Coach Lavin we also spoke about the assistant coaches: Chiles was the only recruiter (Lavin was a good closer so we didn´t have this problem, at least in the first years), when Dunlap left we spoke about the need of another assistant with good Xs and Os and there were many questions about the work of Hines. The difference is that Hines was not a Hall of Famer and one of our advantages is to have two Hall of Famers in our staff. But if one of them doesn´t appear...

And we went to Elite 8 because Jarvis was a good coach and he had very good players (recruited by two previous coaches)

Most on this site not going to like your last sentence.

Take out the word good and it's okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292204

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1378

Paultzman wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

Andrew wrote: I haven’t posted much on this topic. We definitely need another assistant coach on the recruiting trail. I am not sure why it would be Rice or nobody. I thought it would be good for recruits to see Mullin and Richmond on the staff buy for whatever reason this has not worked out.

Whatever prevails with our assistant coaches I think Heron being eligible is key to the team making the tournament. Without him I don’t know if they are good enough to not slip up on an easy out of conference schedule or be a top 4 team in what is always a good league. I also wonder if he will stick around another year if he can’t play this year. This year’s recruiting is huge as the two transfer sit outs are both question marks. I love Mullin but I still believe this won’t end well unless we get a break sooner then later.

The absence of ‘closure’ Is stressing me out. I’m going to ‘dial-it-down a couple notches.Too early for vino, maybe I’ll take a nap as well.

A wine IV during nap also an option

Lol. Paradise!

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292205

• bamafan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 590

sirvoo wrote: Was just joking Adam about the termination clause lol.

I appreciate everyone’s opinion and enthusiasm for the program and it’s happenings. We’re all in the same boat as supporters after all. But I find it absolutely startling how invested a lot of people are in this potential hiring. He is an assistant coach candidate and to say he has baggage is the understatement of the century.

We all have flaws and one of mine is that when it comes to people in the public eye I label them based on their actions. Ray Lewis is a murderer. Pete Rose is a gambler. Tiger Woods is the man. Mike Rice is a guy who throws basketballs at people and calls them nasty names.

Let’s move on because we have a ton of positive things happening in 2019 and beyond fellas!

"Tiger Woods is the man"...who got 9 ironed by his then wife from winning any more majors. (Watch him win this weeks PGA now).

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292223

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1751

Paultzman wrote: Regarding Mitch, all the barbs,including mine occasionally, are understandable as he seemed to vanish since last season and did not go to events this summer as he has in past. That said, the silence is so deafening that it would be unfair to preclude legitimate reasons be it a health or personal matter. Just trying to be fair.

I'll go with the latter.
He's been bouncing around California since the NBA playoffs. The question remains what is our R.O.I. with him in his current role. The resources being plundered by the Mullin experiment has no precedent at St. John's. There are power donors grumbling about the state of the Athletic Department. We have a coach with the worst losing record in school history who seemingly answers to no one yet is being compensated royally. We have two assistant coaches (Slice and Richmond ) costing the university close to $1 million per season with neither being visible anywhere. We have no athletic director. If, by this time next year, we have not made a post season and can't close on key recruits, I think we will experience tremendous turnover, both in players and staff.
The value of Mike Rice was both experience and his connections to key high school recruits. That connection and any recruiting credibility will suffer as a consequence.
At the moment the entire staff, from the head coach to the athletic trainer, are on hiatus out of town.
We will know in two weeks whether we will be moving in the right direction.
One thing is certain and that is that making up a weak schedule to win 20+ games will not fool the NCAA nor the New York fans of the program.
I'm hoping Mullin is smarter than that but there has been no evidence he can manage the required changes or fix his one million dollar staffing problem that is hemorrhaging the basketball program's budget.
As I said, this is unprecedented.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyinfairfield , Moose, Frank61, bamafan, Tom in Salem, Windy City Johnny Fan

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292226

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 206

austour wrote:

we are sju wrote:

gonzalo wrote:

we are sju wrote: Paultz just to be fair did you know the whereabouts of every other assistant in summers past? Not sure what any assistant besides Matt does. And I only know that because I am pretty sure some on here are on his payroll and keep telling me what he does. Is Richmond a good assistant coach? No idea. But seems fans here are way to preoccupied with our assistant coaches. Never remember this being such an issue before. I think people are looking at this issue as some kind of cure all. We went to Elite 8 with Deuce as an assistant!
Maybe it is me?

The fact that Coach Mullin had no experience gave us the idea that was more necessary an experienced assistant coach.

With Coach Lavin we also spoke about the assistant coaches: Chiles was the only recruiter (Lavin was a good closer so we didn´t have this problem, at least in the first years), when Dunlap left we spoke about the need of another assistant with good Xs and Os and there were many questions about the work of Hines. The difference is that Hines was not a Hall of Famer and one of our advantages is to have two Hall of Famers in our staff. But if one of them doesn´t appear...

And we went to Elite 8 because Jarvis was a good coach and he had very good players (recruited by two previous coaches)

Take good out in front of “coach” but keep it in front of “players”.

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292227

• austour
  • Thank you received: 361

SJU85 wrote:

austour wrote:

we are sju wrote:

gonzalo wrote: And we went to Elite 8 because Jarvis was a good coach and he had very good players (recruited by two previous coaches)

Take good out in front of “coach” but keep it in front of “players”.

Yup

Last edit: by austour.

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292230

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 368

fordham96 wrote: First things first, need an opening...

So, is it that Richmond doesn't agree with sliding over to special assist, and SJU not willing to buy him out or SJU not open to increasing payroll to carry both?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292235

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1151

sirvoo wrote: Ray Lewis is a murderer. Pete Rose is a gambler. Tiger Woods is an adulterous Ambien junkie. Mike Rice is a guy who throws basketballs at people and calls them nasty names.

Fixed that for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, Andrew

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292237

• Tom in Salem
  • Thank you received: 228

Class of 72 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Regarding Mitch, all the barbs,including mine occasionally, are understandable as he seemed to vanish since last season and did not go to events this summer as he has in past. That said, the silence is so deafening that it would be unfair to preclude legitimate reasons be it a health or personal matter. Just trying to be fair.

I'll go with the latter.
He's been bouncing around California since the NBA playoffs. The question remains what is our R.O.I. with him in his current role. The resources being plundered by the Mullin experiment has no precedent at St. John's. There are power donors grumbling about the state of the Athletic Department. We have a coach with the worst losing record in school history who seemingly answers to no one yet is being compensated royally. We have two assistant coaches (Slice and Richmond ) costing the university close to $1 million per season with neither being visible anywhere. We have no athletic director. If, by this time next year, we have not made a post season and can't close on key recruits, I think we will experience tremendous turnover, both in players and staff.
The value of Mike Rice was both experience and his connections to key high school recruits. That connection and any recruiting credibility will suffer as a consequence.
At the moment the entire staff, from the head coach to the athletic trainer, are on hiatus out of town.
We will know in two weeks whether we will be moving in the right direction.
One thing is certain and that is that making up a weak schedule to win 20+ games will not fool the NCAA nor the New York fans of the program.
I'm hoping Mullin is smarter than that but there has been no evidence he can manage the required changes or fix his one million dollar staffing problem that is hemorrhaging the basketball program's budget.
As I said, this is unprecedented.

Post of the year.
The time to bail is now.
Wasted 3 years already.
Rice was never the answer.
Problems go much deeper than he could fix.
WE ARE ONE YEAR AWAY FROM ARMAGEDDON.

A Lot of Chatter 2 months 1 week ago #292238

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 1297
Patience & faith guys. We are.... SJU.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul