Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shamorie Ponds

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #321919

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 804

Jack Williams wrote: I’m not trying to rag on Shamorie at all because he is incredible and I’m so glad we have him for at least another month.

But at the game yesterday all I could think about was how D’Angelo Harrison would never let St John’s come out and play as flat as they did at the garden in front of all
Those fans.

When DLo made the tournament we were lights out at home in big east play. We started out 0-2 in conference at home with losses to Nova/SHU and then went 7-0 down the stretch. defending home court was important to that group and you could tell.

Dangelo was more of a natural leader and way more passionate on the court, I just wish we had someone who could play that role for us

With all do respect I think this is completely unfair and really just made up. There were plenty of games at sju during dlo’s career where we were left wondering if the team ever showed up to play or not. They go about it different ways and I love them both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: capmaker, SJU11Redmen, Chris7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #321920

• Chris7
  • Thank you received: 162

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Jack Williams wrote: I’m not trying to rag on Shamorie at all because he is incredible and I’m so glad we have him for at least another month.

But at the game yesterday all I could think about was how D’Angelo Harrison would never let St John’s come out and play as flat as they did at the garden in front of all
Those fans.

When DLo made the tournament we were lights out at home in big east play. We started out 0-2 in conference at home with losses to Nova/SHU and then went 7-0 down the stretch. defending home court was important to that group and you could tell.

Dangelo was more of a natural leader and way more passionate on the court, I just wish we had someone who could play that role for us

With all do respect I think this is completely unfair and really just made up. There were plenty of games at sju during dlo’s career where we were left wondering if the team ever showed up to play or not. They go about it different ways and I love them both.

Well said. To start pinning losses on our best player, directly/indirectly and in ways that are not even measurable, is a very very slippery slope, and completely misguided and off based.

He did not owe us anything this season. He's here, and he plays as hard as he can each and every game. All we can ask for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #321923

• SJU11Redmen
  • Thank you received: 74

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Those fans.

Love D'Angelo but his Junior year I remember one game in particular, at MSG on a February weeknight against Xavier, basically a must win game with the hole we dug ourselves in earlier in the Big East season. Had 4 points in the game and we lost and subsequently didn't make the tournament. Shamorie is an incredible talent and there's only so much he can do. Not fair to either guy to compare their ability to lead a team.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #321924

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 804

SJU11Redmen wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Those fans.

Love D'Angelo but his Junior year I remember one game in particular, at MSG on a February weeknight against Xavier, basically a must win game with the hole we dug ourselves in earlier in the Big East season. Had 4 points in the game and we lost and subsequently didn't make the tournament. Shamorie is an incredible talent and there's only so much he can do. Not fair to either guy to compare their ability to lead a team.

Was thinking of the very same game. Plus the opening round BE tourney game against providence at MSG. Both duds with potentially a lot to gain from wins.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #321926

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 750
Ponds has won a bunch of games for us by taking over down the stretch. Clutch baskets, free throwing shooting and defensive plays. Probably more than any player we have had, ever. VCU and Marquette with baskets in the last minute. Georgia Tech by taking over the game. He has done everything that has been asked short of winning the games 1 on 5. The late 3 with the shot clock running down last year against Duke. I am sure there are others. Completely fearless player in the clutch. He is not perfect. Mariano Rivera blew some key saves, too, but he would bounce back next game. The key is the great players want the ball in their hands, and want it again even if they miss. He is not the problem here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section9, IDRAFT, gonzalo, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Ray Morgan.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #322000

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3376
Just read an article on the Knicks where reference was made to this year's draft being very shallow. Hopefully that will work to Shamorie's advantage, especially if he and his teammates go on a nice end of year run starting tonight.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #322096

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 13531
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #322105

• fordham96
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1774
SI.com has him ranked as the 49th best draft prospect:

www.si.com/nba/2019/02/12/nba-draft-big-...rj-barrett-ja-morant

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #322107

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 116
I think that is a very fair critique of Ponds.

Shamorie Ponds 6 months 1 week ago #322130

• Monte
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1757
When a team overachieves, the credit is shared. When a team underachieves, so too should the blame be shared. This is not Shamorie and 4 other scrubs. This is Shamorie and some talent. If, at the end of the year, this season turns out to be a failure, no one is absolved of blame as far as I'm concerned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, Class of 72

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter