Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Staffing Change

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288529

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 152
MO can't see that happening based on his exp and the product that has been put out the last 3 yrs
The topic has been locked.

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288530

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 430
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but fact is we were 3rd in the conference in scoring defense, 1st in field goal % defense, 1st in turnover margin, 1st in “the can be misleading” blocks and steals. Worst rebounding team and 8th in 3 point % defense. I hardly think that translates into a dire need for new defensive coaching. Improvement in rebounding, yes. Better job stopping penetration, causing over-rotation skewing block out assignments and causing easy 3 kick outs, yes. But panic for a coaching change, I just don’t buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, Frank61

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288531

• Tom in Salem
  • Thank you received: 228

Room112 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Zach’s negative tone is curious. Think he’s typically ‘positive’ when commenting about St. John’s. Hope he’s not privy to bad news.

My read is he’s concerned that they might not add some college coaching experience to improve bench coaching on defensive end and beef up recruiting. Can’t say I disagree, but there are still enough pieces here to have a successful season.

Do you think there is still a chance St. Jean could leave for an NBA gig? Obviously, that would cause a big change for us and we'd be forced to bring in an experienced assistant.

Tim Hardaway would be the likely replacement.
WE ARE ONE YEAR AWAY FROM ARMAGEDDON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288533

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1937

Tom in Salem wrote:

Room112 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Zach’s negative tone is curious. Think he’s typically ‘positive’ when commenting about St. John’s. Hope he’s not privy to bad news.

My read is he’s concerned that they might not add some college coaching experience to improve bench coaching on defensive end and beef up recruiting. Can’t say I disagree, but there are still enough pieces here to have a successful season.

Do you think there is still a chance St. Jean could leave for an NBA gig? Obviously, that would cause a big change for us and we'd be forced to bring in an experienced assistant.

Tim Hardaway would be the likely replacement.

That could be disastrous. Who's going to break down the game tapes? Who's going to design plays on the white board?
Who the hell is going to coach the team????:lol: :silly: :P
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288536

• Chris7
  • Thank you received: 62

Or perhaps he's privy to something we all are privy to. That is that we need a coach who can coach in game and has experience. No secret there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288537

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 702
In game coaching and play calling is overrated as an issue. The issue is talent and depth.

Zach was not given the time of day by the previous staff. He bad mouthed them on the way out. He continually told us the current staff would recruit circles around the previous staff, especially after they started talking to him. That has not gone to plan. He looks a bit foolish. Then he wrote a timid piece claiming that this coming year had a chance to be real good, best team since Final 8 team in 99 but they needed 1)Continuity and 2) Staff change. Well the continuity thing really didn't happen as several players he did not anticipate transferred and the staff change did not happen. Ironically the team does look to be better with those changes especially if Heron is eligible. But bottom line is he has not been right about a lot. And that is because he allowed personal bias to interfere with reporting and now he is invested in this staff. And this is not a defense of the previous staff just a basic understanding of how he has been operating the last 3+ years. If he is so convinced that Mullin should make a new hire (btw he would continually deflect questions before since they did not have an opening. Last time I checked they still don't, yet.) and yet Mulin refuses to and it is so "obvious" that he should then he should be advocating for his dismissal not campaigning for him to do something. He is not a fan he is a journalist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section9, IDRAFT, Frank61, Tom in Salem

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288540

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1451
Hoping we find a way to improve the staff’s recruiting reach into NYC HS’s and AAU people.
Otherwise, very excited about next season, but 1 season does not make a legacy—merely a highlight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, Tom in Salem

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288542

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 453

fordham96 wrote: In game coaching and play calling is overrated as an issue. The issue is talent and depth.

Zach was not given the time of day by the previous staff. He bad mouthed them on the way out. He continually told us the current staff would recruit circles around the previous staff, especially after they started talking to him. That has not gone to plan. He looks a bit foolish. Then he wrote a timid piece claiming that this coming year had a chance to be real good, best team since Final 8 team in 99 but they needed 1)Continuity and 2) Staff change. Well the continuity thing really didn't happen as several players he did not anticipate transferred and the staff change did not happen. Ironically the team does look to be better with those changes especially if Heron is eligible. But bottom line is he has not been right about a lot. And that is because he allowed personal bias to interfere with reporting and now he is invested in this staff. And this is not a defense of the previous staff just a basic understanding of how he has been operating the last 3+ years. If he is so convinced that Mullin should make a new hire (btw he would continually deflect questions before since they did not have an opening. Last time I checked they still don't, yet.) and yet Mulin refuses to and it is so "obvious" that he should then he should be advocating for his dismissal not campaigning for him to do something. He is not a fan he is a journalist.

It's nice when Zach gives positive publicity to the program, but he kind of reminds me of Francesa in that he is a jerk to many fans and acts like he's a sports god that knows all. Can be quite condescending.

I'd also disagree that coaching is overrated. I used to think the same but tell me for a second you don't think Jay Wright could have gotten much more out of our teams the past few years. Lavin had tons of talent and his high water mark was squeaking into the tourney and losing immediately with Sweet 16 level talent.
Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288544

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 506

fordham96 wrote: In game coaching and play calling is overrated as an issue. The issue is talent and depth.

Why should he be advocating for his dismissal? Can't Zach think that a staff change is needed, but also not think that a failure to make a change is a fireable offense? That would be consistent with my own views.

Staffing Change 5 months 1 day ago #288545

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 1202

Mike Zaun wrote:

It's nice when Zach gives positive publicity to the program, but he kind of reminds me of Francesa in that he is a jerk to many fans and acts like he's a sports god that knows all. Can be quite condescending.

I'd also disagree that coaching is overrated. I used to think the same but tell me for a second you don't think Jay Wright could have gotten much more out of our teams the past few years. Lavin had tons of talent and his high water mark was squeaking into the tourney and losing immediately with Sweet 16 level talent.

Lavin's teams were all flawed. Not much height, and a very shallow bench. The 6 or 7 guys we played were mostly guards, with Obekpa the only legit big guy after Sampson and Harkless departed. Two years later at the NCAA I asked him a question about Harrison's health (and Obekpa's susp[ension) and he went on and on about how they'd be in much better shape if Sampson and Harkless were still on the team. Duh.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth