Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: All Things World Cup

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289568

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7893
  • Thank you received: 461

Andrew wrote:

sirvoo wrote: I have a lot of friends who are a lot more offensive about soccer than Logen just was. They are brutally offensive about the fact they think it’s a game for wussies and boring.

For me personally there is nothing better. College basketball is the only sport that comes remotely close.

Have travelled with my wife often who luckily enjoys the game enough (or could it be the excuse to vacation?) to join. Witnessed a 6-1 comeback in the champions league where 2 or 3 goals came straight from simulation or pure lack of respect for fair play and quite frankly nobody cared. Grown men were embracing and crying in the Camp Nou as if it were one of the best moments of their lives.

The passion fans bring to the sport is real and unlike anything you’ll find in America. The closest thing we have is fans in Buffalo throwing each other through flaming tables and even then most of them are just “doing it for the gram.” Not a fan of MLS although I watch on occasion since summer is usually the off-season in europe. I have to say the fan bases are really growing and the passion for each club is real. Hopefully the uptick in support for the game continues without a reliance on the USMNT performing well every 4 years

How about the crowds Atlanta United is drawing. May not last but this is impressive.
www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mls/2018/0...ce-record/415386002/


I was wondering what Year 2 would be like for Atlanta. But they have proven doubters wrong where Year 2 is just as strong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289573

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6800
  • Thank you received: 1895
Brazil advances easily over Mexico.
A contrast in styles and talent. Beautiful passing and ball control by the Brazilian team and he complete opposite by Mexico.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289576

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1475
  • Thank you received: 220

Class of 72 wrote: Brazil advances easily over Mexico.
A contrast in styles and talent. Beautiful passing and ball control by the Brazilian team and he complete opposite by Mexico.


I know Maher may not like this, but I'm tired of all the overwrought emotional outbursts by the S./C. American teams. The protestations over every call/foul that goes against them, the rolling on the ground writhing in pain when they are tackled/touched it's getting old. Neymar got steped on in an out of bounds play but you would think by his reaction that he'd been dealt a mortal blow. Maybe the fact that he's one of the biggest, if not the biggest crybabies and complainers all game long led the ref to not even give a yellow. Only Ronaldo does it better, or worse.:huh: :P :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289580

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10088
  • Thank you received: 1750

Section9 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Brazil advances easily over Mexico.
A contrast in styles and talent. Beautiful passing and ball control by the Brazilian team and he complete opposite by Mexico.


I know Maher may not like this, but I'm tired of all the overwrought emotional outbursts by the S./C. American teams. The protestations over every call/foul that goes against them, the rolling on the ground writhing in pain when they are tackled/touched it's getting old. Neymar got steped on in an out of bounds play but you would think by his reaction that he'd been dealt a mortal blow. Maybe the fact that he's one of the biggest, if not the biggest crybabies and complainers all game long led the ref to not even give a yellow. Only Ronaldo does it better, or worse.:huh: :P :P

flopping and acting annoys me too but the Euros definitely do it also because France was doing it big time against Peru. Personally I’d wish they go to replay and card the obvious acting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section9, Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289581

  • gman
  • gman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2988
  • Thank you received: 231

Section9 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Brazil advances easily over Mexico.
A contrast in styles and talent. Beautiful passing and ball control by the Brazilian team and he complete opposite by Mexico.


I know Maher may not like this, but I'm tired of all the overwrought emotional outbursts by the S./C. American teams. The protestations over every call/foul that goes against them, the rolling on the ground writhing in pain when they are tackled/touched it's getting old. Neymar got steped on in an out of bounds play but you would think by his reaction that he'd been dealt a mortal blow. Maybe the fact that he's one of the biggest, if not the biggest crybabies and complainers all game long led the ref to not even give a yellow. Only Ronaldo does it better, or worse.:huh: :P :P


If you fall down and grab a bodypart without having to be taken to the hospital you should have to sit out 5 minutes in a penalty box while they change your diaper. Neymar and Suarez are ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to watching England tomorrow in a London pub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, Andrew, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289588

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4803
  • Thank you received: 1201
I flopped once in the Elmont Soccer League to draw attention away from a hand ball. I pretended that i got kicked in the mouth and sprawled out writhing like a sniper took me out. Coach removed me from game and asked me a question I'll never forget: "Does your pussy still hurt or can I send you back in?" I never flopped again.

P.S.: I was probably 10 years old when the coach asked me this question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, mjmaherjr, Tom in Salem, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289590

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4785
  • Thank you received: 630

L J S A wrote: I flopped once in the Elmont Soccer League to draw attention away from a hand ball. I pretended that i got kicked in the mouth and sprawled out writhing like a sniper took me out. Coach removed me from game and asked me a question I'll never forget: "Does your pussy still hurt or can I send you back in?" I never flopped again.

P.S.: I was probably 10 years old when the coach asked me this question.

At 10 I probably would have answered yes being as though not knowing what a pussy was. Guess I was a late bloomer. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, L J S A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289599

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10088
  • Thank you received: 1750

L J S A wrote: I flopped once in the Elmont Soccer League to draw attention away from a hand ball. I pretended that i got kicked in the mouth and sprawled out writhing like a sniper took me out. Coach removed me from game and asked me a question I'll never forget: "Does your pussy still hurt or can I send you back in?" I never flopped again.

P.S.: I was probably 10 years old when the coach asked me this question.

GREAT COACH !!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289600

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10088
  • Thank you received: 1750
Damn Japan just got blitzed at the end. Better watch out and make sure there is no Hari-Kari in the locker room. That was real tough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

All Things World Cup 4 months 1 week ago #289603

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1475
  • Thank you received: 220

mjmaherjr wrote: Damn Japan just got blitzed at the end. Better watch out and make sure there is no Hari-Kari in the locker room. That was real tough


You just watched the best game of the tourny. Both sides just going after it, no histrionics, no badgering the ref just attack and counter attack, no sitting back.

Shame Japan had to lose but Belgium just wore them down, But Japan kept attacking instead of playing for extra time. It cost them because that last corner bit them when Cortois started the counter attack.

Now beat Neymar Friday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth