Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360406

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1599

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: It’s amazing to see Hardaway at Memphis get such elite players , i.e. Precious A and others . That’s not to knock Penny but , it shows how far we still have to go in the Recruiting game . Nova has a great incoming class as do a free other BE schools . What makes Penny and Memphis stand out , ahead of BE Schools baffles me . He hasn’t been there long enough to build a high profile program nor a Express to the NBA . I guess God’s Gift didn’t influence his brother to come here , if we were even in the hunt to get him ? Just puzzling why , with the exception of Lavin’s first recruits , we have really struggled to bring in top 50-100 players . In the BE , you need to hit that blue chipper pretty regularly . It seems to me , it might go beyond just who the Coach is at the time . We have had 2 Decades of poor to mediocre results . Is it the School itself ? Or , other reasons ?

Definitely seems fishy. Memphis is a good but nothing special program in a mid major conference. They are far from the days of Rose. Then Penny becomes coach for what 1 season? And all of a sudden 5 stars are tripping over each other overnight to go to Memphis? Very odd IMO. Don't they get all that FedEx money? Hmm...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360408

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 26754
Seton Hall ranked 12th in preseason AP Poll. Highest preseason mark since it was 10th in 2000. Villanova (10) and Xavier (19) other Big East teams ranked. #shbb #bigeasthoops

Zach B

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360412

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3261
The Conference is stacked this season between 5 ranked teams and no cupcakes among G*town Butler, Creighton, & DePaul.
While it seems we'll be among the bottom dwellers, given CMA resume' I'd expect SJ to battle every game with few easy wins against us.
Looking forward to the wars.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360415

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 26754
Per John Fanta

On the injury front, here's the latest from Providence -- Friars hope to have center Nate Watson (knee) back by opening week of the season but it could take until Northwestern on Nov. 13. Luwane Pipkins (hamstring) should be ready to go for the season opener.

Asked Ed Cooley about his expectations, and he said this Providence team "has a chance" to be his best yet because of the talent and depth on paper, but they have a long way to go in terms of toughness and doing the little things. Cooley's main concern - perimeter scoring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360417

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 6730
Omar Yurtseven of Georgetown rated #1 sit out transfer becoming eligible this year according to this ESPN piece.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...tball-best-new-faces
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360418

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 3850

NCJohnnie wrote: Omar Yurtseven of Georgetown rated #1 sit out transfer becoming eligible this year according to this ESPN piece.

The type of guy that’s gonna eat us alive without Steere.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360420

• redken
  • Thank you received: 1305

MCNPA wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Omar Yurtseven of Georgetown rated #1 sit out transfer becoming eligible this year according to this ESPN piece.

And he won't be the only one.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360422

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4546
I'm counting on winning most of our games before Steere becomes eligible. I think it's OK to lose the battle if we win the war.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360424

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 2288

redken wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

And he won't be the only one.

I have never seen him play so I have no opinion other than looking at his stats which are mediocre his first year at NC State and good his second year. Luckily (I guess) we will have Steere by the time we have to play against him. A bit curious as to why with good stats his sophomore year he only averaged a little more than half a game minute wise. Maybe that could be one of the reasons he transferred. Also, not many trips to the foul line so I suspect he might be a perimeter oriented 7 footer. Good rebounding numbers belie that though.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 year 11 months ago #360426

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1412

Mike Zaun wrote:

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: It’s amazing to see Hardaway at Memphis get such elite players , i.e. Precious A and others . That’s not to knock Penny but , it shows how far we still have to go in the Recruiting game . Nova has a great incoming class as do a free other BE schools . What makes Penny and Memphis stand out , ahead of BE Schools baffles me . He hasn’t been there long enough to build a high profile program nor a Express to the NBA . I guess God’s Gift didn’t influence his brother to come here , if we were even in the hunt to get him ? Just puzzling why , with the exception of Lavin’s first recruits , we have really struggled to bring in top 50-100 players . In the BE , you need to hit that blue chipper pretty regularly . It seems to me , it might go beyond just who the Coach is at the time . We have had 2 Decades of poor to mediocre results . Is it the School itself ? Or , other reasons ?

Definitely seems fishy. Memphis is a good but nothing special program in a mid major conference. They are far from the days of Rose. Then Penny becomes coach for what 1 season? And all of a sudden 5 stars are tripping over each other overnight to go to Memphis? Very odd IMO. Don't they get all that FedEx money? Hmm...

A lot of the guys Memphis got in that first recruiting played for Penny's AAU team, or at least, were in the AAU league that Penny's team dominated. That's why they went after Penny. They knew they would have an advantage with those guys, if he came on board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight