Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289340

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3687

JohnnyFan wrote: I actually think this is a fair assessment. He discloses that the ranking was determined minus Heron.

Also, while we feel good about our bench, it is largely unproven. Not sure what everyone was expecting from the predictors.

WITH Heron, assuming Keita starts, that bench includes Trimble, Dixon, Figueroa. The unproven frosh would be 9th and 10th men. You can criticize size on the team but not the depth imo.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289341

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 6730
Johnnyfan wrote: actually think this is a fair assessment. He discloses that the ranking was determined minus Heron.

Also, while we feel good about our bench, it is largely unproven. Not sure what everyone was expecting from the predictors.

Johnnyfan, I usually agree with your assessments, but think this review is too negative. With Heron, our bench likely includes Figueroa, Dixon & Trimble plus the frosh, without him, Dixon & Trimble plus the frosh. In either case, we have a seven man rotation we can be pretty sure of even w/o counting on significant contributions from Greg Williams, which I think we will get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289342

• mjmaherjr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 7526

SJU14 wrote:

Tom in Salem wrote: #7
bustingbrackets.com/2018/06/14/big-east-...a-draft-decisions/5/

This writer almost sounds like he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. This is the deepest team we’ve had in a while.

Totally agree with you other than personally wishing we had another big guy but if Heron plays next year and we are running then it might not matter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289344

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 3868
I am just trying to stay grounded. The Big East is big time college basketball. I appreciate Dixon and Figgy's potential, but after watching BE ball for long time, guys take some time to make an impact in this league.

I was impressed with Trimble's freshman poise and shooting, but at this point he is an average bench player.

Don't let your heart dominate your assessment. And, remember, the guy's ranking was without Heron. Before we landed Heron, we were all on the ledge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, SJU85, Tom in Salem

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289347

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3261

JohnnyFan wrote: I am just trying to stay grounded. The Big East is big time college basketball. I appreciate Dixon and Figgy's potential, but after watching BE ball for long time, guys take some time to make an impact in this league.

I was impressed with Trimble's freshman poise and shooting, but at this point he is an average bench player.

Don't let your heart dominate your assessment. And, remember, the guy's ranking was without Heron. Before we landed Heron, we were all on the ledge.

You're being to nice to the guy JohnnyFan. He said something like: ' if Heron plays, the rankings may need to be tweaked, but I'm not sure how far that moves the needle for this team’.
I think that is a biased view.
And while I disagree with his 7th 'finish' for us w/o Heron, i suppose it could range between 5th - 7th, so he's at the low end.
But IMO, this team--with Heron-- vies for positions 1 - 4 next season in the BEC, and frankly, 4th would be disappointing.
I also think that Figgy is being under-appraised. I think he's a solid contributor for us in 2018-19. Very solid: ~12 p/g, + good passing, assists, and solid D.
We shall see.
Let's go Johnnies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289348

• mjmaherjr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 7526

JohnnyFan wrote: I am just trying to stay grounded. The Big East is big time college basketball. I appreciate Dixon and Figgy's potential, but after watching BE ball for long time, guys take some time to make an impact in this league.

we were definitely on the verge of chaos here before FigHeron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, JohnnyFan

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289350

• Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 228

mjmaherjr wrote:

+1
WE ARE ONE YEAR AWAY FROM ARMAGEDDON.

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289352

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 503
I THINK figueroa is going to get maj mins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289353

• NCJohnnie
Johnnyfan wrote:

I don't think it is ungrounded to say we will be top 6 w/o Heron and top 4 with him. I agree Trimble is an average bench player - as 7th or 8th man on the tream w/wo Heron that is exactly what we project him to be - not exactly a team w/o depth. Also agree that JC transfers often have an adjustment period (see Hardy, Brownlee & Bashir) but this is not really the case with D1 transfers like Dixon & Keita (see Simon & Clark). Even with conservative expectations for Figueroa, Dixon & Keita, this team will be BE competitive IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Around the Big East 18/19 3 years 3 months ago #289354

• NCJohnnie
mjmaherjr wrote: JohnnyFan wrote: I am just trying to stay grounded. The Big East is big time college basketball. I appreciate Dixon and Figgy's potential, but after watching BE ball for long time, guys take some time to make an impact in this league.

Agree 100% but those should be two very big adds.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight