Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Around the Big East 18/19

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282814

• Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 228
WE ARE ONE YEAR AWAY FROM ARMAGEDDON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days, Windy City Johnny Fan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282815

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1473

Tom in Salem wrote: only 2 in the preseason top 25.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...early-entry-deadline

Am I delusional to think—that if Ponds returns (with or without a Mystery Big), we’d have a shot at cracking the Top 25 at some point in the season?

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282818

• Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 228

Chicago Days wrote:

Am I delusional to think—that if Ponds returns (with or without a Mystery Big), we’d have a shot at cracking the Top 25 at some point in the season?

yes, i believe you are.
Creighton and Marquette possibly, but the conference will really be down next season..
WE ARE ONE YEAR AWAY FROM ARMAGEDDON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld, Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282819

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 1738
Tom in Salem wrote:

yes, i believe you are.
Creighton and Marquette possibly, but the conference will really be down next season..

I know everyone is taking comfort in the BE being way down next year. I agree that Xavier will take a large step back. Whether Nova takes a step back will depend on if either or both of Spellman & DiVincenzo leave early. If not, they will be a top five team again as they have an excellent class coming in. I think Marquette & Providence will be tough. Marquette lost only Rowsey and PC has two top 100 guards coming in to replace Cartwright & Lindsay and a very solid PF from NC who should help to replace Bullock, plus a bunch of solid returnees. I will be very happy if we can finish in the top 5 next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, Tom in Salem

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282821

• Chicago Days

Tom in Salem wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

yes, i believe you are.

K if Ponds returns, put me down as pre-season delusional. And i'll double-down should we actually get that 'Mystery Big'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, L J S A

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282824

• Chicago Days
This view applies only IF Ponds returns (and becomes very firm IF we get that 'Mystery Big').
But 'conceptually', why can't we beat at least 7 of the 9 other teams in the BEC at least once next season?
And again 'conceptually', why can't we beat at least one of DePaul and/or the Hall 2x next season?
That's 9 - 9 or 11 - 7.
Put 11 - 7 down in permanent ink IF we get Mr. Mystery Big...and a new AC.
I hope!

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282825

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 7009

Chicago Days wrote: This view applies only IF Ponds returns (and becomes very firm IF we get that 'Mystery Big').
But 'conceptually', why can't we beat at least 7 of the 9 other teams in the BEC at least once next season?
And again 'conceptually', why can't we beat at least one of DePaul and/or the Hall 2x next season?
That's 9 - 9 or 11 - 7.
I hope!

What Big? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282829

• Chicago Days

Paultzman wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: This view applies only IF Ponds returns (and becomes very firm IF we get that 'Mystery Big').
That's 9 - 9 or 11 - 7.
I hope!

What Big? :)

Uh-oh!!! Y'all are killing me / us Mr. Paultz! LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282831

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1289
After reading some of these posts, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I think we'll win a lot of games and go far in the tournament if Ponds and a competent big show up for classes in the fall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Chicago Days

Around the Big East 18/19 7 months 2 weeks ago #282835

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 2114

NCJohnnie wrote: Tom in Salem wrote:

yes, i believe you are.

I know everyone is taking comfort in the BE being way down next year. I agree that Xavier will take a large step back. Whether Nova takes a step back will depend on if either or both of Spellman & DiVincenzo leave early. If not, they will be a top five team again as they have an excellent class coming in. I think Marquette & Providence will be tough. Marquette lost only Rowsey and PC has two top 100 guards coming in to replace Cartwright & Lindsay and a very solid PF from NC who should help to replace Bullock, plus a bunch of solid returnees. I will be very happy if we can finish in the top 5 next year.

WHY should anyone take pleasure if the Big East is down next year? That would severely limit the number of NCAA Tournament bids and certainly does not help Mullin. If the conference is down and St. John's can't win 20 games and misses the tournament it would be curtains for the Mullin experiment. Even though I wasn't a fan of his hiring I don't want St. John's to continue on its current trajectory downward. If Ponds returns, big or no big , there is no reason for us not to win over 20 games. If we don't and can't land our recruiting targets we will be stuck in the cellar for years to come barring the hiring of a John Calipari or someone on his level that would turn the program around in 2 years.
No one who is a real fan of St. John's should wish Mullin fails next year!
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul