Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mullin

Mullin 5 months 5 days ago #285147

• we are sju
  • Thank you received: 243

Beast of the East wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Kind of brings to mind the person who walks into the job knowing no one can tell them anything (maybe they are family of the boss or something) vs. the hungry younger guy fighting to move up the ladder. It does seem they see it as a favor to us rather than having standards they must meet. I'm sure we pushed hard to get him to come, but thus far he has not panned out at all. You need to know when to pull the plug or you risk the program becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year. 1 more year to decide his fate IMO.

I ignore 90% of your posts because reading 10% guves you the fkavor. Can you just try to give it a rest

The irony is that no matter how boring and repetitive his posts are, I will always have a soft spot for Mike because he was responsible for the single greatest thread in ST John's basketball forum history. The "Dave stole my $ and never gave me my medium t shirt" thread on JJ is the 85 Final Four team of threads.

The irony of course is that many give Mullin leeway because of how great a player he was here. And I as one of the many give Mike leeway because of one great thread when he spends an insane amount of typing complaining about the other person who I give leeway to. Pretty ironical, no?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mullin 5 months 5 days ago #285150

• OhioFan
  • Thank you received: 90

we are sju wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

OhioFan wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

OhioFan wrote: If the name calling goes up from here, this thread will be closed and people will start being relegated to the Rookie Forum.

You are way off base and out of bonds. This is exactly what i was referring to in responding to your threatening assertion that folks would be suspended.

Calling out hypocritical users who are now bashing Mullins hire of Slice is based in reality. The overwhelming sentiment on the Slice hire at the time on here was positive and enthusiastic.

Admit it, you didn't like me responding to your post by warning against thethreatening tone of it. You even deleted my first response because you did not like the content, not because it violated a rule.

The board rules say the purpose is to support the school, coaches, and players, but we routinely allow every coach since Carnesecca to be characterized as inept, lazy, stubborn, stupid, you name it. The Carnesecca statue thread bashes the school. Can we not be critical in this manner, or can we?

Calling out hypocritical behavior is a far cry from the often profane, defamatory, and even threatening rhetoric that was permitted for years here. I applauded the mods for regulating that sort of thing.

I don't know who you are, but recent posts do not remotely approach the type of thing we are trying to avoid here. You are likely offended by this response but if you think it compares to the ludicrous taunts to mods for years as he persisted in antisocial behavior, you are dead wrong.

I'm not going to take the time responding to your basically inaccurate comments, except for one. I didn't delete your previous post.

On a general note, if you don't like te moderation here, feel free to post on another site.

One thing I can say about OhioFan and RedmenNorth to their credit is that they send pm's to warn/advise fans when they push the envelope. That is much appreciated rather than behind the scenes stuff.

So, are you intimating Otis is deleting my posts?

We are still playing this game?
RedmenNorth in the library with the revolver?

No need to bring this dispute back up again, please.
14What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?15If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, Frank61, Class of 72

Mullin 5 months 5 days ago #285159

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1762

we are sju wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

OhioFan wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

OhioFan wrote: If the name calling goes up from here, this thread will be closed and people will start being relegated to the Rookie Forum.

You are way off base and out of bonds. This is exactly what i was referring to in responding to your threatening assertion that folks would be suspended.

Calling out hypocritical users who are now bashing Mullins hire of Slice is based in reality. The overwhelming sentiment on the Slice hire at the time on here was positive and enthusiastic.

Admit it, you didn't like me responding to your post by warning against thethreatening tone of it. You even deleted my first response because you did not like the content, not because it violated a rule.

The board rules say the purpose is to support the school, coaches, and players, but we routinely allow every coach since Carnesecca to be characterized as inept, lazy, stubborn, stupid, you name it. The Carnesecca statue thread bashes the school. Can we not be critical in this manner, or can we?

Calling out hypocritical behavior is a far cry from the often profane, defamatory, and even threatening rhetoric that was permitted for years here. I applauded the mods for regulating that sort of thing.

I don't know who you are, but recent posts do not remotely approach the type of thing we are trying to avoid here. You are likely offended by this response but if you think it compares to the ludicrous taunts to mods for years as he persisted in antisocial behavior, you are dead wrong.

I'm not going to take the time responding to your basically inaccurate comments, except for one. I didn't delete your previous post.

On a general note, if you don't like te moderation here, feel free to post on another site.

One thing I can say about OhioFan and RedmenNorth to their credit is that they send pm's to warn/advise fans when they push the envelope. That is much appreciated rather than behind the scenes stuff.

So, are you intimating Otis is deleting my posts?

We are still playing this game?
RedmenNorth in the library with the revolver?

Leave mon ami North out of this! Le Canadien has one of the strongest passions for BB on this Froum.;)
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Last edit: by Class of 72.

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285163

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1385

we are sju wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Kind of brings to mind the person who walks into the job knowing no one can tell them anything (maybe they are family of the boss or something) vs. the hungry younger guy fighting to move up the ladder. It does seem they see it as a favor to us rather than having standards they must meet. I'm sure we pushed hard to get him to come, but thus far he has not panned out at all. You need to know when to pull the plug or you risk the program becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year. 1 more year to decide his fate IMO.

I ignore 90% of your posts because reading 10% guves you the fkavor. Can you just try to give it a rest

The irony is that no matter how boring and repetitive his posts are, I will always have a soft spot for Mike because he was responsible for the single greatest thread in ST John's basketball forum history. The "Dave stole my $ and never gave me my medium t shirt" thread on JJ is the 85 Final Four team of threads.

The irony of course is that many give Mullin leeway because of how great a player he was here. And I as one of the many give Mike leeway because of one great thread when he spends an insane amount of typing complaining about the other person who I give leeway to. Pretty ironical, no?

Lol Yup, irony in spades. Gottta laugh & shrug & then hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285200

• jalba07
  • Thank you received: 0

we are sju wrote: Should just make a thread called COACH. This way when Mullin does leave people can just go on there to continuously trash Will Brown or whoever.

That thread would break the internet

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285205

• rawdognyc
  • Thank you received: 166
Paultz and some others have more of a finger on the pulse of the team than the rest of us. So my question to Paultz and 72, is would it be best to cut ties with Chris after this next season, no matter the outcome? I like and support Chris, however I just don't think he has the fire in his belly to make this a long time gig. So with that said, and for program continuity, what are the chances that majority of the staff stay on, except for Chris and Mitch? I honestly would love for GSJ to become the next head coach. You can see the fire that burns in his belly. I think Greg as the HC, with Matt as his top assistant wouldn't be all that bad. Especially if they can bring in a couple of other experienced assistants.. 1 more recruiter and a big man coach. I kind of liked when Zendon was helping out. IDK.. Just bored and looking for opinions. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285207

• Chicago Days

rawdognyc wrote: Paultz and some others have more of a finger on the pulse of the team than the rest of us. So my question to Paultz and 72, is would it be best to cut ties with Chris after this next season, no matter the outcome? I like and support Chris, however I just don't think he has the fire in his belly to make this a long time gig. So with that said, and for program continuity, what are the chances that majority of the staff stay on, except for Chris and Mitch? I honestly would love for GSJ to become the next head coach. You can see the fire that burns in his belly. I think Greg as the HC, with Matt as his top assistant wouldn't be all that bad. Especially if they can bring in a couple of other experienced assistants.. 1 more recruiter and a big man coach. I kind of liked when Zendon was helping out. IDK.. Just bored and looking for opinions. Thanks

IMO, there's no way the Administration or most posters on this Board, including me, would call for CM to leave after next season IF he has an NCAA Tournament-qualifying season.
I think the hope--if not the gut--is that things break well professionally and personally for Chris , he and his family relocate back East, and he stays through a contract extension.
We shall see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Class of 72, rawdognyc

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285210

• rawdognyc
  • Thank you received: 166

Chicago Days wrote:

rawdognyc wrote: Paultz and some others have more of a finger on the pulse of the team than the rest of us. So my question to Paultz and 72, is would it be best to cut ties with Chris after this next season, no matter the outcome? I like and support Chris, however I just don't think he has the fire in his belly to make this a long time gig. So with that said, and for program continuity, what are the chances that majority of the staff stay on, except for Chris and Mitch? I honestly would love for GSJ to become the next head coach. You can see the fire that burns in his belly. I think Greg as the HC, with Matt as his top assistant wouldn't be all that bad. Especially if they can bring in a couple of other experienced assistants.. 1 more recruiter and a big man coach. I kind of liked when Zendon was helping out. IDK.. Just bored and looking for opinions. Thanks

IMO, there's no way the Administration or most posters on this Board, including me, would call for CM to leave after next season IF he has an NCAA Tournament-qualifying season.
I think the hope--if not the gut--is that things break well professionally and personally for Chris , he and his family relocate back East, and he stays through a contract extension.
We shall see.

I'm totally fine with that. I feel next year we are easy 20 plus wins. I like having Chris as coach. I guess my only issue is what I take away from the board about him not recruiting and so forth. That's I guess why I posed my original question, about whether or not next year is successful does he walk away, but give the reigns to some of the current staff? Just get worried about some of the noise I hear on here about his personal issues and him not really wanting to do what other head coaches do.

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285212

• Chicago Days

rawdognyc wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

We shall see.

I'm totally fine with that. I feel next year we are easy 20 plus wins. I like having Chris as coach. I guess my only issue is what I take away from the board about him not recruiting and so forth. That's I guess why I posed my original question, about whether or not next year is successful does he walk away, but give the reigns to some of the current staff? Just get worried about some of the noise I hear on here about his personal issues and him not really wanting to do what other head coaches do.

I hear you, rawdognyc.
As you intimated initially, only a few have any of the real skinny of what's going on with Chris and his situation and the question of any 'fire in the belly'.
The rest of us are in hoping/praying mode, with most of us rooting for Chris the man and St. John's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rawdognyc

Mullin 5 months 4 days ago #285214

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 1301
Chicago Days wrote: rawdognyc wrote: Paultz and some others have more of a finger on the pulse of the team than the rest of us. So my question to Paultz and 72, is would it be best to cut ties with Chris after this next season, no matter the outcome? I like and support Chris, however I just don't think he has the fire in his belly to make this a long time gig. So with that said, and for program continuity, what are the chances that majority of the staff stay on, except for Chris and Mitch? I honestly would love for GSJ to become the next head coach. You can see the fire that burns in his belly. I think Greg as the HC, with Matt as his top assistant wouldn't be all that bad. Especially if they can bring in a couple of other experienced assistants.. 1 more recruiter and a big man coach. I kind of liked when Zendon was helping out. IDK.. Just bored and looking for opinions. Thanks

We shall see.

Chicago, agree. It is amazing the extreme positions taken with regard to Mullin. There is a certain group of posters who have the view that he doesn't really care, no fire in the belly, sees his coaching as a favor to the school etc.; another group of posters believe Chris is consumed with a passion to bring SJU back to the glory days and will do whatever he humanly can to get us there. I am of the view that Chris really does want to get us back to where we used to be and can be, but this desire is complicated by his family being unexpectedly across the country and everything that entails, particularly in the offseason. I also take note of Class of 72's point that Chris has a reputation of being stubborn. He did come under criticism for that during his years in NBA management on the west coast. The seeming lack of a second recruiter is troubling, especially since so many seem to recognize it, but nothing is done.
However, there is no question that (i) his core group of players stayed the course under the most adverse circumstances last year; (ii) in game coaching improved markedly last year; and (iii) he has brought in some very good talent that will hopefully get us to the dance in 2018-2019. I think we all agree that getting two very solid recruits in the 2019 class is crucial and the reliance on transfers needs to change as he builds the program going forward. Having said that, another coaching change is the last thing we should be hoping for. Success and continuity generally go hand-in-hand. As you would say Chicago, let's go Johnnies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, rawdognyc, Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul