Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R.I.P. Beaver Smith

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 11 hours ago #276429

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 577
Sad day for SJU alumni and SJU basketball. Beaver Smith (‘72-‘76) passed away this morning. His service will be held on Thursday night at 7:00pm at the Freedom Chapel, 641 Broadway (Rte. 110) Amityville, NY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, kranmars, redmannorth, Paultzman, Beast of the East, redmanwest, redken, JackofVirginia, Frank61, Class of 72 and 8 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 11 hours ago #276432

• Moon Mullen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 39
So sad, one of my favorites. Prayers for your family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 11 hours ago #276434

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 6944
So sad, one of my favorite SJU players & this is preview of a game I was fortunate to have attended. That night losing was ok, since we really challenged perhaps one of the best, well coached teams in history.

www.nytimes.com/1975/12/29/archives/st-j...-awaits-indiana.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Chicago Days

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 10 hours ago #276438

• panther2
  • Thank you received: 850
Very sorry to hear this. Beaver was a very good player and even better person. I always enjoyed talking to him when he was working at St. Johns.

I know this is a very hard time for his wife since they had just lost their daughter a little over a year ago, My condolences to his family. Will definitely try to attend his service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, SJU85, redken, JackofVirginia, L J S A, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 10 hours ago #276439

• we are sju
  • Thank you received: 463
Wow was just talking about him with my Dad. Think his name came up couple weeks ago on here regards to best dunkers. Family friend played on his ST John's teams. Met him after ST John's when he played in a 3 on 3 tournament with Dad's friend and my Dad. Really nice guy who could jump! RIP
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Last edit: by we are sju.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 10 hours ago #276442

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 577
Difficult to believe it was 45 years ago, but still remember the many articles in NEWSDAY about Beaver (South Side H.S.) and Frankie Alagia (St. Agnes).

Arguably, this was the Golden Age of Long Island high school basketball.

When Coach Carnesecca was able to sign both guys it was like winning the lottery.

I trust that Chris, his staff and the entire team (as well as all senior athletic department leadership) will be attending the service on Thursday.

A Top 50 player in the history of St. John's basketball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, salty dog, gonzalo, Frank61, L J S A, Chicago Days

Last edit: by jerseyshorejohnny.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 10 hours ago #276443

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 278
RIP.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 9 hours ago #276445

• frank
  • Thank you received: 11
Wow , what a team , how could I forget we took Indiana{ un defeated for the season ) to the last seconds at the garden which was actually rocking and moving. Smith , Alagia , Johnson, Williams and Farmer -the tallest Johnson at 6'7, a true one and done team in rebounding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moon Mullen, Paultzman

Last edit: by frank. Reason: error

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 9 hours ago #276448

• redken
  • Thank you received: 545

frank wrote: Wow , what a team , how could I forget we took Indiana{ un defeated for the season ) to the last seconds at the garden which was actually rocking and moving. Smith , Alagia , Johnson, Williams and Farmer -the tallest Johnson at 6'7, a true one and done team.

"A true one and done team." Are you referring to St. John's or to Indiana, which went undefeated that year and took home the national championship? :huh:

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 9 months 9 hours ago #276449

• Frank61
  • Thank you received: 217
R.I.P. Beaver Smith, you will always be one of my all time favorite Redmen.

Last edit: by Frank61.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul