Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2018/19 Schedule

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292207

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 130

Adam wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: After seeing an SJU/Iona game up close and personal last year I don't care if I ever see another one. I equate the difference between playing Iona or Hofstra versus playing St. Francis or Mt. St. Mary's as the difference between eating cat food or dog food. Neither will ever be mistaken for a lobster roll.

Iona may be more stressful than watching a blowout vs St. Francis, but a win vs Iona does a LOT more good to the team's RPI than a win vs St. Francis. An Iona win helps. A St. Francis win doesn't.

I don't think there's any reasonable argument out there for the bad schedule. Even if literally every major college said no, there are still plenty of teams ranked 50-150 that could've replaced the 300+ caliber teams. Could we seriously not schedule a decent A10 team like Dayton or Rhode Island? A WCC team like St. Mary's or BYU? An AAC team like UConn, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, or Houston?

Our schedule would make a lot of sense for year ONE of Mullin. Not year 4.

No one is defending the schedule. But Iona stressful? That's not how I saw that game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292208

• bamafan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 590

IDRAFT wrote: To be clear I don't like the schedule. It's unfair to other Big East teams, who are SJUs partners as they will need to be the ones to boost the Confernces rating. But I expect that to happen. At the end of the day we could easily play 14 conference games against Top 100 teams and Duke is a lock. That's 15. Our OOC was very strong last year and we did well in it. Forget the NCAAs we didn't even make the NIT. We know why. Mullin has a point with his comment.

The biggest deal about this to me is as a ticketholder as it means more crappy games.

Where is the relevance between doing well in last year's relatively tough out of conference schedule and not making even the NIT. We didn't make even the NIT because we went 14-19 not because our success in a tough non-conference schedule didn't help us. To call this years non-conference schedule piss poor is to do a disservice to piss. Resembles Georgetown's joke of a non-conference schedule. Hopefully we have a good season, recruit well and have a much better schedule next year. Need at least on name MSG OOC game every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Windy City Johnny Fan

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292209

• Adam
  • Thank you received: 124

IDRAFT wrote:

Adam wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: After seeing an SJU/Iona game up close and personal last year I don't care if I ever see another one. I equate the difference between playing Iona or Hofstra versus playing St. Francis or Mt. St. Mary's as the difference between eating cat food or dog food. Neither will ever be mistaken for a lobster roll.

Iona may be more stressful than watching a blowout vs St. Francis, but a win vs Iona does a LOT more good to the team's RPI than a win vs St. Francis. An Iona win helps. A St. Francis win doesn't.

I don't think there's any reasonable argument out there for the bad schedule. Even if literally every major college said no, there are still plenty of teams ranked 50-150 that could've replaced the 300+ caliber teams. Could we seriously not schedule a decent A10 team like Dayton or Rhode Island? A WCC team like St. Mary's or BYU? An AAC team like UConn, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, or Houston?

No one is defending the schedule. But Iona stressful? That's not how I saw that game.

The Iona game wasn't a blowout like most the mid majors we played, so I assumed that's why you said that. I thought you were nervous about losing a game like that. Otherwise, what's the point in not playing them? As a fan you might be just as bored playing Iona as vs St. Francis, but the Selection Committee cares about results and an Iona win helps with our RPI. I don't see any downside at all in playing a decent mid major rather than a garbage one. Only a clear upside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Windy City Johnny Fan

Last edit: by Adam.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292210

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 155
Have to agree with the posters preferring games vs A10 teams rather than local clubs. The days of local rivalries are over and none of these teams can sell tickets. For whatever reasons the days of college basketball in NYC ended years ago. Only SJU can attract even a reasonable amount of interest.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292211

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 492

Adam wrote:

IDRAFT wrote:

Adam wrote:

The Iona game wasn't a blowout like most the mid majors we played, so I assumed that's why you said that. I thought you were nervous about losing a game like that. Otherwise, what's the point in not playing them? As a fan you might be just as bored playing Iona as vs St. Francis, but the Selection Committee cares about results and an Iona win helps with our RPI. I don't see any downside at all in playing a decent mid major rather than a garbage one. Only a clear upside.

Exactly. Look at a game like Grand Caynon last year. The average fan probably sees no difference in that game vs. Sodapop Junction Tech or whoever the hell we're playing this year. But Grand Canyon had a respectable 121 kenpom last year - huge difference than playing teams in the 320's (or worse).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292212

• IDRAFT

bamafan wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: To be clear I don't like the schedule. It's unfair to other Big East teams, who are SJUs partners as they will need to be the ones to boost the Confernces rating. But I expect that to happen. At the end of the day we could easily play 14 conference games against Top 100 teams and Duke is a lock. That's 15. Our OOC was very strong last year and we did well in it. Forget the NCAAs we didn't even make the NIT. We know why. Mullin has a point with his comment.

The biggest deal about this to me is as a ticketholder as it means more crappy games.

Where is the relevance between doing well in last year's relatively tough out of conference schedule and not making even the NIT. We didn't make even the NIT because we went 14-19 not because our success in a tough non-conference schedule didn't help us. To call this years non-conference schedule piss poor is to do a disservice to piss. Resembles Georgetown's joke of a non-conference schedule. Hopefully we have a good season, recruit well and have a much better schedule next year. Need at least on name MSG OOC game every year.

The relevance is the hardest part of our schedule will always be in conference. And if we go top five in this conference we will be fine. if we come in ninth it won't matter if we had one or two more wins against Top 100 teams.

One more game against a top team would make sense. It should have been scheduled. But when all is said and done our overall schedule will allow for plenty of opportunities to win meaningful games. All we have to do is win them.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292213

• Adam
  • Thank you received: 124
On a side note, does anybody know who actually makes the schedule? Does Mullin have a significant input? I assume it's a group of people who make it. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, I am just legitimately confused as to how they could mess this up so badly. Are they seriously not aware of SOS/RPI in 2018? Nearly every fan on this board could put together a far better schedule than this.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292214

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 492

IDRAFT wrote:

bamafan wrote:

The relevance is the hardest part of our schedule will always be in conference. And if we go top five in this conference we will be fine. if we come in ninth it won't matter if we had one or two more wins against Top 100 teams.

One more game against a top team would make sense. It should have been scheduled. But when all is said and done our overall schedule will allow for plenty of opportunities to win meaningful games. All we have to do is win them.

"And if we go top five in this conference we will be fine." - The evidence simply does not support that statement in what many are expecting to be a rebuilding year for the conference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292215

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 5589

Adam wrote: On a side note, does anybody know who actually makes the schedule? Does Mullin have a significant input? I assume it's a group of people who make it. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, I am just legitimately confused as to how they could mess this up so badly. Are they seriously not aware of SOS/RPI in 2018? Nearly every fan on this board could put together a far better schedule than this.

Last year Dan Matic did it as I now understand and Greg SJ this time. Mullin of course would sign off on it I assume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Last edit: by Paultzman.

2018/19 Schedule 2 months 1 week ago #292217

• IDRAFT

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

IDRAFT wrote:

bamafan wrote:

"And if we go top five in this conference we will be fine." - The evidence simply does not support that statement in what many are expecting to be a rebuilding year for the conference.

Sorry I have seen no evidence. I took a look at Syracuse OOC from last year. They played and beat Maryland, Georgetown and UCONN. Lost to Kansas. Those were the notable teams. Went 8-10 in conference. Made the NCAAs.

Georgia Tech and Cal are basically Georgetown and UCONN last year. We can lose to Duke just as easily as they lost to Kansas. And top five inthe Big East will do better than 8-10. So if the BE is really down, which is said every year here in the summer (during the annual complaining about the schedule) 11-7 in the BE should still match 8-10.

That's evidence. On the other hand is non fact based opinions. I have not seen one example laying things out for that from anyone, including Braziller or Vitale.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul